PDA

View Full Version : How Low Can You Go

backformore
09-26-2006, 02:38 PM
I understand that A1 VWs cannot be lowered too much in the front or you run into problems with the length of the axle causing tranny/diff damage.

So, how low can you go? Where do you measure/what is your reference?

Finally, if too low, what is the result and what would be the indicator of said result? (i.e. "You'd break the R&P and it would make a helluva noise and come to a sudden stop")

Thanks

racer_tim
09-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Rule of thumb, you need to keep the drive shafts level with the ground.

shwah
09-27-2006, 04:40 PM
The rule of thumb is to keep the control arms parallell to the ground.

backformore
09-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Apparently, we have several thumbs. In either case, just to confirm, the arm or shaft, depending on which thumb we decide is the right (vs. left, I suppose) one, should be level at rest or at max suspension compression?

loopracing
09-27-2006, 06:54 PM
We have experienced both thumbs on our IT Scirocco. Ideally you want to keep the control arms level to minimize bump steer. Going too low causes the drive shaft on the left side to interfere with the drive flange. That will damage the oil seal plug and cause a leak from the drive flange/cv joint area. I've gone a race or 2 like that. It's a slow but persistent gear oil leak which could damage the trans if you don't stay on top of it. BSI sells shortened drive shafts. Illegal for IT however. IT rules specify the min. ride height allowed as measured at the lowest point of the body, is 5 inches. The other limiting factor to lowering is shock absorber travel. Depending on what shocks you have you may not have much more than an inch of bump. You definitely don't want to run out of shock travel. A scirocco with coil overs and hoosiers measures about 6.5 in. at the rocker above the pinch weld. Consult the IT specs in the rule book

Bill Miller
09-27-2006, 08:20 PM
As others have said, rule of thumb is control arms level. Go lower than that, and the front roll center goes under ground, and bump steer is UGLY!

That being said, running the rear slightly lower than the front, is a good thing.

backformore
09-28-2006, 05:26 AM
Thanks again everyone. I see that you are a scirocco II guy Dick. You may be hearing from me again as mine is a II also.

loopracing
09-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Feel free