PDA

View Full Version : MK2 Golf rear axle beam bushing install

zracer22
09-26-2006, 12:42 PM
What is the best method to install new bushings in the rear axle beam? I used a torch and hack saw to remove the old bushings, but I'm not to sure how to go about the install. also, DO you slide them as far in as they can go?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

mgyip
09-28-2006, 09:33 AM
The easiest way to remove the asymmetrical bushings is with an air-hammer. Deform the metal casing enough to just hammer the old bushing into oblivion.

What kind of replacement bushings are you installing? I've never figured out how to replace the OE bushings but I'm using Delrin currently which are literally "push and play".

zracer22
09-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Where do you get the delrin bushings? I've searched for them before an never found any.

JamesB
09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
They used to be listed at BSI Racing but every since their new site most of the VW stuff is impossible to find with them so you could try calling them.

RSTPerformance
09-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Try Shine Racing Service up in Mass... www.srsvw.com

They have lots of "trick" stuff that you might like on the VW...

Raymond

PS: Not in reference to the bushings, but if you get other stuff from BSI, be sure to ask if it is legal. LOTS of VW guys/gals seem to end up with prod type parts from BSI... Nothing against them, they seem to make good products and offer a good service as tons of people get stuff from them.

zracer22
09-28-2006, 06:27 PM
but if you get other stuff from BSI, be sure to ask if it is legal. LOTS of VW guys/gals seem to end up with prod type parts from BSI... [/b]

I race in GTS Challenge.......everything is legal! My 2.0 bottom end is legal, my 280 cams are legal, my gutted to 1900 pounds is legal..... :happy204:

Conover
09-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Are you pretty competitive in GTS with the 2.0 and the big cams? Are you running the ABA w/1.8 head combo?
Or the audi buble block? I like the aba better, there's more good fresh ones around and better torque

zracer22
11-07-2006, 06:50 AM
I ran the car last year in ITA trim and I wasn't very competitive. I ran it as it was when I purchased it, stock rear suspension and no sway bars. This winter, I am giving her a complete rebuild. 150 HP at the wheels, 1900 lbs, B3 Passat brakes,....I expect to be very competitive.

Conover
11-18-2006, 10:16 AM
The GTS challenge is interesting to me, sounds like you've got a good plan. Keep us updated on your progress.

:smilie_pokal:

Bill Miller
11-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I ran the car last year in ITA trim and I wasn't very competitive. I ran it as it was when I purchased it, stock rear suspension and no sway bars. This winter, I am giving her a complete rebuild. 150 HP at the wheels, 1900 lbs, B3 Passat brakes,....I expect to be very competitive.
[/b]

Without a doubt, that will be a very fun car to race. Not to mention quick! 20 years ago, it took some kind of forced induction (or a brutally expensive SuperVee motor) to put that much power to the ground out of a VW 4-cyl.

zracer22
11-18-2006, 06:22 PM
The GTS challenge is interesting to me, sounds like you've got a good plan. Keep us updated on your progress.

:smilie_pokal:
[/b]

Come on out and try GTS in 2007. All you need is a $40 NASA membership, your SCCA license is good for your firts NASA event.

zracer22
12-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Solved my problem. I ditched the stock bushings and bought EnergySuspension bushings. I had to press them in with a big vice. Installed the axle today and it feels rock solid.

Bildon
12-19-2006, 05:42 PM
>> Solved my problem. I ditched the stock bushings and bought EnergySuspension bushings.

Bad move. Now you created worse problems. They'll be OK for half a season and then cold flow and deformation will make them worse than rubber. Repeat after me; "never use polyurethane" "never use poly" "never use poly" "never use poly" "never use poly" "never use poly" "never use poly" "never use poly" "never use poly" :dead_horse:

Ever.

Harder rubber, Delrin, Nylatron or Spherical Bearings are all you can use to replace the OEM rubber. There is a new product out that claims it's "polyester" compound is superior to polyurethane. But we need to test it to see.