PDA

View Full Version : Former NER Regional Executive Passes Away

BobsAuto
09-22-2006, 08:26 PM
I apologize that this is a couple of days out, but I am just catching up on my online newspaper reading and thought that this would be of interest to all of you. It was published in the Concord Monitor

Shelby A. Walker An expert driver who raced sports cars

NASHUA -- Shelby A. Walker, 75, died Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2006, at Greenbriar Terrace Healthcare in Nashua.

Mr. Walker was born in Concord on May 15, 1931, the son of Shelby Otto and Julia Isabelle (Faneuf) Walker. He was a resident of Nashua since 1970 and previously resided in Lowell, Mass., and Bow.

He was the husband of Dorothy A. (Whall) Kiddie Walker, whom he married Nov. 25, 1994.

Mr. Walker was a data processing manager for 15 years with the Concord Group Insurance Company. He also worked for Life of America as secretary, treasurer and director for 15 years. Shelby also worked for Prose Inc. as secretary, treasurer and director for five years.

An expert driver, he raced successfully at several East Coast tracks between 1958 and 1965. He enjoyed sports-car racing with the Sports Car Club of America and was a past regional executive of SCCA, as well as past president of Sports Car Club of New Hampshire in 1961 and president of the Sports Car Club of America in 1969. He also was a past president of the Granite State Miata Club of America and a Regional Champion of his racing class in SCCA.

Mr. Walker belonged to the Rumford DeMolay, Acacia Fraternity, Blazing Star Eureka Lodge No. 11 in Concord, Scottish Rite Bodies in the Valley of Nashua and New Hampshire Consistory 32nd Degree, and the Scottish Rite Bodies in the Valley of Concord and Bektash Temple A.A.O.N.M.S of Concord. He was honored as recorder emeritus in 2001. He also belonged to I.O.O.F. White Mountain Lodge No. 5 in Concord and Penacook Encampment, where he was chief patriarch.
He graduated with a bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of New Hampshire.

At one time, Mr. Walker was a member of Main Street United Methodist Church in Nashua.

In addition to his wife of 12 years, survivors include two children, Shelby A. Walker Jr. of Lyme and Lee Ann Hughes of Bethel, Maine; a brother and sister-in-law, John M. and Katherine Walker of Concord; four stepchildren, Susan Hart of Hudson, Alexander Kiddie of Barrington, Donna and James Bleistein of Berwick, Pa., and Barbara Philbrook of Nashua; four stepgrandchildren; and three nieces, Debbie Cohen, Donna Walker and Denise Raney.

Calling hours will be held Friday from 5 to 9 p.m. at Davis Funeral Home, 1 Lock St., Nashua.

A Masonic Memorial service will be held during calling hours at 7:30 p.m. at the funeral home.

Burial will be held privately.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Boston or Springfield Shriners Burn Institute, c/o Bektash Shriners, P.O. Box 4086, Concord 03302. Davis Funeral Home in Nashua is in charge of the arrangements.