PDA

View Full Version : MK2 MR-2 in ITA

Greg Amy
09-20-2006, 01:33 PM
I see in this month's Fastrack that the CRB is recommending the MK2 MR-2 into ITA at its current weight of 2545 pounds. I can see myself building one of these...

gran racing
09-20-2006, 02:52 PM
If this goes through, I can see myself building one of these...[/b]

Dude, you've spent years developing and building your car, it gets moved to ITA and you're doing extremely well with it. Now you want to start from scratch all over? Ah, what the heck. Build me one too! :lol:

RSTPerformance
09-20-2006, 04:12 PM
that would be a cool car, and I also think it would put up a good fight at the front!!!

Raymond

JLawton
09-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Dude, you've spent years developing and building your car, it gets moved to ITA and you're doing extremely well with it. Now you want to start from scratch all over? Ah, what the heck. Build me one too! :lol:
[/b]

Dave,
It's called AADD: Auto Attention Deficit Disorder.

Screw the MR2, I'll buy the Nissan over-dog!!

JeffYoung
09-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Greg -

I had a 91, turbo though. The wheels are smaller and the suspension geometry different. The car rotates better than a 93-94, which has larger rear wheels and has more understeer dialed in.

I THINK that the 93/94s can be "fixed" using springs, etc. -- don't the stock AutoX guys have to run stock stuff?

I can't recall what the difference in power was on the N/A motors. 5 or 10? That motor is considered a dog amongst the MR2 crowd. Not sure how much more you may get in IT trim.

There is an MR2 website that I will try to dig up with good info on both cars. The Autox (and there are a lot) can point you in the direction of speed parts. My perception was that the car was actually pretty well supported by the aftermarket tuner crowd.

Bill Miller
09-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Greg,

I used to race a Mk I (AW11) MR2. Loved the car, but it couldn't compete in ITA. The SW20 car (mk II) should be a great ITA car (probably a bit light at it's ITS weight. ITAC members, what's the process weight for it in ITA?).

Performance parts are another story. Toyota used to have a race support program run through TRD. You could order OEM stuff at essentially 50% off of dealer list. The race parts were expensive and hard to get. Most came out of TRD-Japan. IIRC, an LSD and better R&P for the AW11 was somewhere around $1500, 10 years ago).

MMcCaughey
09-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Greg, I have a 91 mk2 mr2 I drive on the street. The only difference in engine is I believe 130 to 135hp. Its the same engine. Like others have said the stock suspension is suppost to be different on the later models, but for IT It wouldnt matter i dont think. On my car I have 4 way adjustables with tein s tech springs. I also have an aftermarket exhaust manifold from ssautochrome. Its a fun car to drive.

you can get some really good info from www.mr2oc.com you will have to register I think.
Hope that helps some

-Mark

timrogers
11-20-2006, 08:21 PM
I see in this month's Fastrack that the CRB is recommending the MK2 MR-2 into ITA at its current weight of 2545 pounds. I can see myself building one of these...
[/b]
Fastrack came out today, as of 1-1-07 its a done deal.

gran racing
11-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Hahaha! Funny you should post that Tim. :lol: Not that you have any interest in Greg's eggo car.

benspeed
11-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Go for it - we can have a battle for ITA mid-engine dominance.

R2 Racing
11-21-2006, 05:07 PM
2545lbs, 135 stock hp, mid-engine, & rear-wheel drive. Hmmm, sounds very possibly competitive to me. What kind of suspension do those cars have? How's the torque numbers?

Greg Amy
11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
McPherson struts all around, 145 ft-lbs torque...

(For you Honda guys, "torque" is the force that twists the crankshaft; you know, causes acceleration without a billion RPM...?)

timrogers
11-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Hahaha! Funny you should post that Tim. :lol: Not that you have any interest in Greg's eggo car.
[/b]
Actually, its worth more to me in Greg's hands right now.
He's made me an offer I can't refuse....
:D

Andy Bettencourt
11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
I am sure we can all help you get it down to GA. I will gladly drive it the first 500 miles. :)

R2 Racing
11-22-2006, 09:56 AM
McPherson struts all around
[/b]
Ugh, that just makes my ears bleed.

(For you Honda guys, "McPherson struts" is a cost cutting, space saving, inferior suspension design that creates negative roll centers and mobile chicanes on the track that hold up the unbelievable cornering ability of your sweet, F1 inspired, independent, upper and lower arm suspension equipped Honda.)

:happy204: :cavallo:

Andy Bettencourt
11-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Ugh, that just makes my ears bleed.

(For you Honda guys, "McPherson struts" is a cost cutting, space saving, inferior suspension design that creates negative roll centers and mobile chicanes on the track that hold up the unbelievable cornering ability of your sweet, F1 inspired, independent, upper and lower arm suspension equipped Honda.)

:happy204: :cavallo: [/b]

Yup, just like in Greg's NX2000. :P

latebrake
11-22-2006, 12:56 PM
will they let us use the paddle shifter model? that would bring them out of the wall paper for sure. i would have to have one of those.

lateapex911
11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
will they let us use the paddle shifter model? that would bring them out of the wall paper for sure. i would have to have one of those.
[/b]

uh....no.

And I bet you'd hate it if you actually tried to race with it.,

latebrake
11-24-2006, 10:12 AM
uh....no.

And I bet you'd hate it if you actually tried to race with it.,
[/b]

I bet I would get used to it and have a ball playing with it. :D . It would just be to much fun not to like it.

iambhooper
11-26-2006, 06:59 PM
i've always been curious how they compared to the Fiero. what's the power band? what rpm range? ect? anyone have the numbers side by side?

benspeed
11-27-2006, 03:02 PM
That is a comparo I'd like to see since I'm fooling around with an '87 Fiero GT.

Greg Amy
11-27-2006, 03:03 PM
You'll see it soon enough, Ben, don't you worry...

;)

lateapex911
11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
well, we know Bens running the ITA Fiero next year....so, Greg, define, "Soon enough"...;)

Andy Bettencourt
11-27-2006, 07:05 PM
well, we know Bens running the ITA Fiero next year....so, Greg, define, "Soon enough"... ;) [/b]

Soon enough so he will have a car for NHIS and a car for LRP!

benspeed
11-28-2006, 02:14 PM
You'll see it soon enough, Ben, don't you worry...

;)
[/b]

I'll be hunting the ARRC and NARRC champion! Or maybe it's the other way around - I think I was referred to as "fresh meat"! :unsure: :P

JLawton
11-29-2006, 07:12 AM
I'll be hunting the ARRC and NARRC champion! Or maybe it's the other way around - I think I was referred to as "fresh meat"! :unsure: :P
[/b]

Come to ITA little boy........... ;) he he he. We've got some candy for you...........

latebrake
11-29-2006, 05:34 PM
This sounds like a good race/fight :bash_1_: between Greg and Benspeed. They are going to spend so much money trying to out run each other. we can get some racing budget from this if we are smart.

Tell you guys what I will do. :D i wont call your wives and tell them how much cash its going to take for you two to win over each other if you buy some tires for me. what say?? sounds fair to me. I am going to race my wifes SUV this year and a set of 265/70/17 will work just fine. i also would like to get rid of that ugly spare wheel and have all five a match set.

Lawrence

iambhooper
11-29-2006, 07:38 PM
... must... stop... watching... threads... on... topic... tempting... to... build... fiero... ITA... car... wife... will... kill... me... aghhh!

JeffYoung
11-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Build it hoop! Build it hoop!

Or should I say, here's the crack pipe hoop! Here's the crack pipe hoop!

Knestis
11-29-2006, 08:02 PM
... must... stop... watching... threads... on... topic... tempting... to... build... fiero... ITA... car... wife... will... kill... me... aghhh!
[/b]

Giver her my phone number and she can call me if I need to come over for the intervention. Or she and I can got out and have a beer and laugh about you out in the garage working on a Fiero. :)

Cameron's wife has a Fiero weakness and he keeps threatening to find her one, in hope that she'll get over it.

K

benspeed
11-29-2006, 09:45 PM
The SPO car will be the big $$

My wife did end up liking the Fiero after it was painted black - copper was a pretty bad color.

Looks like we have a cage builder lined up so I think we really are going to put these cars on the track. I know better - do not build - stupid....

What the hell - otherwise the winter will be pretty boring! :birra:

iambhooper
11-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Kirk... problem is, Melinda doesn't see it as anything other than me not being happy with what I got. Heck, she's doesn't understand why I want to put a LSD and bushings in the Honda, since I just got the new motor in it... "i cant leave well enough alone" :D

On the other hand... I have a friend, who's '86 GT has been sitting in his driveway, motionless, for the better part of 7 years. I could arrange for him to "give it to me" so that I could "make it streetable again".

Jeff, remember our conversation? Sometimes it's best to stay away from the desire, and go with the norm. Honda's, Mazda's and VWubs are the norm, right?

Besides, wouldn't it just be better to let everyone in ITA go off to the 1.8 Miata's and then I could buy their CRX's for cheap?

I mean, there's other issues here... like: is there a LSD available for the Fiero? what about final drive gearing?

hoop

JeffYoung
11-29-2006, 10:49 PM
As I have learned in Triumph land, if you have $$$, there are always answers.

Build the fiero....build the fiero...live the dream.....lol....

iambhooper
11-30-2006, 06:15 AM
"As I have learned in Triumph land, if you have $$$, there are always answers."

and there is the other missing equation! :D

lets just say... i'll form a commitee to investigate the plausability, as well as the social and economic impacts of a project such as this. ;)

latebrake
11-30-2006, 09:59 AM
"As I have learned in Triumph land, if you have $$$, there are always answers."

and there is the other missing equation! :D

lets just say... i'll form a commitee to investigate the plausability, as well as the social and economic impacts of a project such as this. ;)
[/b]

That means you are going to build a camel. a camel is a horse built by committee you know.
Lawrence

JeffYoung
11-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Here's an interesting "camel" story.

As you know, Ron has a yet to debut ITS Jensen Healey that in fact actually runs pretty good right now. We are expecting big things from it next year, probably wrongly, but anyway.

Last year, we were looking around for a LSD for it. Nothing. Finally, we heard that something calleda Vauxhall Dropsnoot Forenza (I kid you not) had the same rear end as the JH and had an optional Salisbury derived LSD.

Now that is a camel my friends!

JamesB
11-30-2006, 12:08 PM
as long as the JH doesn't spit all over the track like a camel thats fine with me.

JeffYoung
11-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Funny you mention that....it's spit brown petroleum lubricant before.....

Chuck's Fiero seemed to have good power at CMP last year and the driveline components can't be that rare. I mean, it is a GM product. Got to be an LSD and R&P out there for it somewhere.

Were the ever raced in Showroom Stock?

iambhooper
11-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Actually, they were raced in IMSA. don't know abou SS. I do know that Huffaker did a lot of stuff with them, but that's all gone now.

Tranny's are a bit of a week point... well, 5spd's. The Getrag is the same design as the Porsche. However it was only available in this configuration (rwd) in the 86.5-88 v6 cars. Berreta's, Corsica's and their GM twins used the same trany, but they need to be slightly modified to work (the linkage). I don't know if tech would like that or not. As I said, the '88 has it's own brakes and suspension... no sharing there. The earlier car's have parts shared with other GM's.

The engine is a "High Output" version of the 2.8l used in the 80's. There is a slight diference. Pre 88 they were externally ballanced and I would imagine that the '88s are rare to come by since less than 20,000 were made, afterwards GM switched to the 3.1l and the the 3400 DOHC... the engine intended for the 2nd Gen Fiero.

If I could run that in a Fiero.... then I would be out there for sure!

hoop

JeffYoung
11-30-2006, 07:39 PM
What power and torque does the 2.8 make? I drove a non-GT 5spd one time and the car was quick. Certainly in stock trim as fast as a 240sx.

It seems on paper the car could be competitive.

iambhooper
11-30-2006, 09:10 PM
outa respect, I guss we should continue the Fiero comentary in the other forum?

kbrewMR2
01-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I was about to comment on the level of ADD here

I'd be interested to see how these cars end up, especially with a serious build. I think it could be a very competitive car

the MacStrut is a well done one, with the right springs it should be fine
the motor has the torque, but I wonder if the exahust side of the head will hold it back enough as to not make the power needed....

time will tell I guess....

Greg Amy
01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Ken, don't know if it was mentioned in this forum, but my MR2 ITA project is stillborne for the time being. However, I have the design for the suspension all worked out; contact me if you're interested in pursuing it. - GA

kbrewMR2
01-24-2007, 11:05 PM
for now, it'll have to be NASA Time Trials for me, just don't have the coin to pursue the build, cage, tow vehicle, trailer, etc. It'll take at least 1-2 years for me to get to that stage.

I'd love to hear what you had planned tho....

I'll also be watching other people that do pursue ITA with this car and see if theres anything to learn, and see if the car really is good enough to be a front runner! :)

88YB1
01-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Moved to the correct place.

Chuck

MICHAELTYRE
04-15-2007, 10:48 PM
In reference to the 2nd gen MR2 discussion i have a 91 MR2 that i ran in ITS last year (got waxed by the 240s , bmws.and 2nd gen rx7s) but hopefully ITA will be different. At the present i am instructing with NASA SE I went to R-atl but did not make it to R-ham. After april i will be racing with SCCA again (have to add the nascar bars) As for my car i have a for now stock engine with a 4 to 1 hot shot header cold air intake and re-prog ecu, by 6000 rpm it is done but it has been super reliable. for suspension Konis,ground control springs and bigger sway bars. The car is a blast to drive but one problem is the lack of room for front wheels i am running the stock 6in front and 7in rear wheels on 205/55 14 and 225/50 14 hoosiers . from what i can tell the car acts like a porsche in that it can under steer and can definately get tail happy. I have a new Quaife lsd to go in so i am hoping that will help it get through the turns, a performance engine is in the near future so maybe i can get more rpm, looking forward to further response on this subject,mike.

kbrewMR2
04-15-2007, 10:56 PM
You're driving the white one right?

we should compare notes at the next NASA event you can make it to :)

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Somebody needs to get a serious engine program going on one of these. Could be an AWESOME ITA car!

Greg Amy
04-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Somebody needs to get a serious engine program going on one of these. Could be an AWESOME ITA car!
[/b]
No, someone needs to come up with the CASH for an engine program; we've already done the research on it...

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
No, someone needs to come up with the CASH for an engine program; we've already done the research on it... [/b]

Well coming up with the cash, doing the research, building a motor and hitting the dyno would be synonomous with 'getting it going'. You stalled at the starting line... :)

Greg Amy
04-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Yup! Tally up the cost, look in pocket, close pocket, sell car... ;)

JamesB
04-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Well Greg you also have a stront ITA contender in your pocket already. But i am sure on some years to come you will tire of it and have to go after another oddball car.

Greg Amy
04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
...you will tire of it and have to go after another oddball car.[/b]
I already decided that I will take the project back up when I can buy an ITA MR2 that's already been partially prepped and on the track. It will be:

- already stripped,
- already have the basic safety equipment,
- already have some of the performance items,
- probably be well taken care of, at least since it was turned into a race car, and
- probably not have any rust

When I can do that, I'll start thinking about jumping back in... - GA

R2 Racing
04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
'91 fixed roof shell in NY (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-Toyota-MR2-Hardtop-Very-Light-Shell-Only-in-NY_W0QQitemZ160106569332QQihZ006QQcategoryZ15289QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Go get an engine and tranny (they can't be that expensive) and you've got yourself a racecar candidate.

Greg Amy
04-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Oh, you BASTARD....

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Oh, you BASTARD.... [/b]

http://www.msu.edu/~gingras/hell-freezes.jpg

MICHAELTYRE
04-16-2007, 09:54 PM
You're driving the white one right?

we should compare notes at the next NASA event you can make it to :)
[/b]
Yes Ken i am in the white one, i plan to attend the R-Road event and do the instructor L-2 class.

MICHAELTYRE
04-16-2007, 10:05 PM
No, someone needs to come up with the CASH for an engine program; we've already done the research on it...
[/b]
Tell me about the research on the 5sfe, i have been trying to locate good rods and or rod bolts, pistons are available as are reground cams and as you probably know SCCA limits C-R to + 1/2 point + 0.40 on overbore , only port matching and a multi angle valve job for the head.

gran racing
04-17-2007, 07:46 AM
That was awesome Kevin! :happy204:

R2 Racing
04-17-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm just here to help. :P

kbrewMR2
05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
we need to compare notes ;)