PDA

View Full Version : Pulleys

RacerBill
09-19-2006, 11:38 AM
OK, I need to replace the alternator so I turned in a core that I had laying around and ordered a rebuilt one from Advanced Auto. When I got the new altenaator home and put it beside the old one off the car, something looked funny. The pulleys looked different. Turns out my motor had the Direct Connection Pulley Package with a flat belt installed (new altenator came with a standard v-belt. No problem, just take both pulleys down to the local machine shop and have them swap the pulleys. Uhnnnnn, no way Jose! machine shop does not have the tools to get under the performance pulley. So, here are my options as I see them:

1) put the old altenator back on and charge the battery with a battery charger between sessions

2) find stock pulleys for the rest of the shafts and revert to the stock belt

3) find a machine shop that might have that kind of a tool and get the performance pulley off and onto the new altenator.

4) ??????????

As I said, if it wasn't challanging, it would not be fun!

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

joeg
09-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Bill__I have never seen an alternator which had the pulley on as a "Press fit."

Generally you just take off the pulley retaining bolt and washer and the pullry pops off.

Granted, you might have to figure out a way to hold the pulley as you loosen the bolt, but that is normally a welding glove. Use of an inpact gun is common.

JLawton
09-20-2006, 06:05 AM
If it's a press on pulley, they probably make a tool to remove it. My power steering pulley is a good example. Once I had the right tool ($20 if I remember correctly) it popped right off and put the new one on no problem.

RacerBill
09-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Joeg: Thanks for the reply. Yes the altenator pulley is pressed on. The other two pulleys are bolt on - crank has 4 small bolts, water pump has 3. I have located old style v-belt pulleys that I can reinstall once they have been cleaned up.

Jeff: Thank you, also. I would rather try pulling the pulleys off the altenators and using the flat belt. Do you remember where you got the tool?

Darryl Pritchett
09-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Another option is to take the current bad alternator to a auto electric shop and have them rebuild it.

charrbq
09-20-2006, 09:20 AM
You might try Harbour Frieght to find the pulley tool. Charging the battery to compensate for the screwed alternator isn't really a good idea. Didn't work for me at all.

Wreckerboy
09-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Try -

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/default.asp?...JQ520JUFGBJFFME (http://www.toolsource.com/ost/default.asp?SourceID=NO+SOURCE&mscssid=36SBX3BB70JR8N3VAJQ520JUFGBJFFME)

RacerBill
09-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Chris: Thanks for the reply. I looked up an auto electric shop and they said they could rebuild my old one. But the old light bulb came on and I thought, if they can take it apart to rebuild it, they should be able to take the pulleys off. I asked them that and they said "Bring it on in. We should be able to do that"

Thanks, again.

Once again, a couple of hundred heads are better than one!

Sorry, that was D. Pritchett who suggested that.

JLawton
09-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Jeff: Thank you, also. I would rather try pulling the pulleys off the altenators and using the flat belt. Do you remember where you got the tool?
[/b]

I'm glad you didn't have to go through the hoops I did for my power steering pulley!!

Having the tool at the track could save you some head aches!! You will be amazed at how easy it is to pop off and press back on.

I think it was Summit Racing that I got mine at. But mine is a standard GM set up.