ITA
rick
windell
brad
short course
windell
rick
ray
sunday was a blast. 6 A and S cars running nose to tail for 17 laps.
saturday a huge wreck in SM coming on to the front straight taking the green flag. they had to cut one guy out of his car, the # 17, i forgot his name. at least 3 cars are killed and ready for the garbage.

Greg Amy
09-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Nice! I was thinking of you guys this weekend...the weather was gorgeous down here!

Heard anout that SM schmozzle; last I heard no serious injuries?

Andy Bettencourt
09-18-2006, 07:33 AM
I heard from Kyle D about the SM wreck. It was the end of the first green flag lap. Stephen Pope went wide coming through the last turn onto the straight and bounced off the wall collecting some cars. Word has it he got knocked out. 6 or so cars involved, speculation is that 3 are write-offs. Hope everyone is ok.

Kyle lurks here so he may add something.

StephF
09-18-2006, 09:35 AM
We had a lot of fun in ITC both days. For once, we were grouped with other IT cars instead of SM's, which made for some fun racing. Ed won on Sunday, and I took 2nd Saturday and 3rd on Sunday. Lot's of fun, with the exception of getting bored Sunday because I was just about completely alone for the entire race. If I wanted to drive alone, I'd do time trials....oh well. :rolleyes:

The wreck in SM was pretty bad. After Pope went in hard driver's left, there was a chain reaction of cars whaling into each other. This happened before the first lap was completed. They had cars scattered all across the course, with 5 parked there to be collected and dragged in.

They red flagged it, and delayed things probably 40 minutes while they cleaned up. Fortunately, as far as I know, Pope was the worst with a broken collarbone. (he wears a HANS, someone was saying it was likely that caused it) I heard he was back on Sunday collecting his car. Thank goodness there wasn't anything worse than what there was. The Glen is a ton of fun, but boy can it bite you hard.

I also saw an ITB (? I think) VW come in on the rollback Sat. a.m. after he rolled it. Didn't catch a name and number, but it was green and blue. There were a fair number of crushed and broken cars this weekend.

Hope the rest of the day on Sunday was uneventful. We took off around race group 3.

Weaver7
09-18-2006, 09:44 AM
[quote]
sunday was a blast. 6 A and S cars running nose to tail for 17 laps.

Rick you and me were swapping positions back and forth there during the first part of the race had alot of fun (White ITS RX-7) :eclipsee_steering: . I must say Saturday was fun but nothing like Sunday WOW close running the entire race drafting down the back stretch every lap
! ....THAT WAS A BLAST. Congrats on the win Saturday!!! :happy204:

The SM accident happned while we were in Impound Saturday sounded like gunshots going off!!! Very scary incident....I think the worst was hearing people yelling for a medic then seeing them cut the top off the one car.

Bill Wevaer
ITS RX-7 #63

JimLill
09-18-2006, 10:01 AM
In only my 2nd race and with a tired motor, I was content with 11th in ITB on Saturday. I loaned my car to a friend for Sunday, and he did "OK" in his very first race.

Someday, I'll get to qual on a dry track!

Jim Lill
ITB GTI A2 #88

lateapex911
09-18-2006, 11:11 AM
What was the ITS story? winners? crashers? BMW? Mazda? VW? Other?

dazzlesa
09-18-2006, 01:55 PM
i am pretty sure dan jones in a bmw dominated both days. bill's vw ran great on saturday until it broke. darrel in a rx7 was fast but a spin on saturday with ray and a dnf on sunday kept him from contending.
running with bill weaver was a blast.i could run with the S guys with the tires fresh and the car humming through the corners,but as the tires went away they could use the hp to pull me.
the B race was fun to watch both days. they lead was swapped between 4 guys over and over.
the #65 yellow volvo won on saturday and michael reece fought hard for the win on sunday.
the #27 civic won ITC on saturday and the #11 won on sunday.

Ed Funk
09-18-2006, 02:16 PM
I raced with Meg in itc at the Fun One last year, she broke the track record long and short and won both days, I also broke the short course record last year, Meg just did it slightly better that I did! This year I had the C pole both days. On saturday it took Meg about a half lap to close up to me. Then we raced and traded position multiple times for 8 or nine laps. We each had our strong areas and it was a ton of fun racing close and clean. Then I made the mistake of watching her entry to the bus stop and turned in a little early, hit the first curb with all 4 got a little behind in my steering and parked it in the gravel. Luckily Steph wass running in 3rd at the time, felt bad about my predicament for a nanosecond then realized she was in 2nd and happily drove on!! :happy204: I took crap from friends, competitors, workers, strangers, firemen and even my loving wife the rest of the weekend! On Sunday I had better luck and managed to win! There were 7 itc cars running (a big field for us)

I'd just like to say that it was really fun racing with Meg, she's fast, clean and competitive. It was an honor to beat her. Oh, and both of last years itc track records still stand and still belong to Meg Meyer!! :birra:

JimLill
09-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Times up from AMB

http://mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=166931

http://mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=166953

disquek
09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Pope was the worst with a broken collarbone. (he wears a HANS, someone was saying it was likely that caused it)[/b]

I'm not sure if Stephen wears a HANS, but my bet is that the Petty bar was what broke his collar bone.

He and I caravaned as he drove his truck and trailer home Sunday. He seems fine despite a broken collar bone and a general all-purpose beating. I'm sure he's sore today.

I posted some videos on YouTube. The links are on specmiata.com. Pretty exciting stuff.

Let's hope the enduro is less "exciting".

-Kyle

benspeed
09-18-2006, 04:57 PM
I can say that the racing this weekend at the Glen was some of best fun and some of the scariest. Both on track at sick fast speeds and also from the number of serious crashes. Don't know why there were so many wrecks but the carnage count was very high.

Racing in big bore with a group of roughly 40 cars was unreal. The whole deal is significantly different from IT racing in that the speeds are so high that any tiny bobble is exagerated massively. I.e. I was lapping an AS car on the last lap Sunday and thought I'd cut the guy a break going into the bustop - heck the GT1 corvette behind me was like 200 yards back. ZOOM! The car passed both of us under braking in nothing flat.

The level of driving was very high - tons of talent and the racing was nip and tuck, close as hell at speeds over 160 mph. Great run on Saturday 18 to 6th overall but was sort of out of my game on Sunday and went 9th to 10th overall. A car right in front of me, not sure who, blew up huge going out of the S turns onto the back straight and oiled the track and my car so bad I had difficulty seeing as my car slewed in oil at about 130 mph. Gathered it up and ran some pretty crappy laps after that.

The Touring Corvette Challenge was there and those guys can drive - had a blast running with some of the coolest cars I've ever seen. Qualifying had one car at a 1:17 on the short course.

I might be looking to show at the NARRC runoffs with an ITS car as I need tires, muffler and other stuff for my SPO ride and I just don't want to take crap over sound all weekend - rather sort that out on a test day next year. Who's got a car for me???? :D

joeg
09-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes, lots of carnage (unfortunately).

kevin22
09-18-2006, 06:13 PM
THat is not the first time I have heard of the Hans breaking a collarbone. Some people have more pronounced bones, some people have more fat to cushen. I tried wearing a Hans and it applied a very uncompfortable amount of pressure on my Collar bones just buckled in. The reason I had to switch to the R3. I do believe the Hans is a great item but if you feel alot of pressure buckled in, chances are you my break a bone during an accident. Of course better then basil injury, But R3 is probably better for guys like myself who have had previous broken collar bones or very pronounced collar bones.

RSTPerformance
09-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Direct quote from SM forums on this video.. "Holy $h1T!

If you know anyone thinking about skimping on safety watch this video!
I wish we had a clear direction on head and neck restraints..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dIX6Wei2d4

Stephen

BobsAuto
09-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Ouch!!!!

Stephen, I agree. This would be a perfect one to show at a seminar on the importance of safety equipment. (If there were such a thing.)

dj10
09-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Direct quote from SM forums on this video.. "Holy $h1T!

If you know anyone thinking about skimping on safety watch this video!
I wish we had a clear direction on head and neck restraints..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dIX6Wei2d4

Stephen [/b]

Amen. I was lucky enought to be standing in impound when this went down. All I saw was little rice burners going & spinning every which way. I'm glad no one was seriously hurt. Great in car!

Thanks to all the SCCA workers & staff who made the Fun One possible. It was nice to see and meet so many nice people in my race group & others, including some cool spectators that came to my paddock area and who were cheering me on :D . "THIS IS WHAT SCCA RACING IS ABOUT"

One note: workers at the top of the S's, please throw the blue flag more. I almost took off the side of my car and another ITA BMW while being chased by the RX7 in Group 4. Thanks

Dan

tdw6974
09-19-2006, 07:30 PM
THat is not the first time I have heard of the Hans breaking a collarbone. Some people have more pronounced bones, some people have more fat to cushen. I tried wearing a Hans and it applied a very uncompfortable amount of pressure on my Collar bones just buckled in. The reason I had to switch to the R3. I do believe the Hans is a great item but if you feel alot of pressure buckled in, chances are you my break a bone during an accident. Of course better then basil injury, But R3 is probably better for guys like myself who have had previous broken collar bones or very pronounced collar bones.
[/b]
I was standing directly across from where the cars came to rest. The HANS may or may not have broken the Drivers collar bone as it was a VIOLENT collision. The Driver was out(Unconcious) when the smoke settled the HANS then served another purpose it held his head steady until help got to him> Several of involved drivers went to his aid as the rescue crews arrived and went to work with the jaws of Life ( don't like drag racing it seems I remember a company called Hurst). I was using radio for another competitor and was able to warn him and he made it down through pit lane. I'm an old timer when it comes to this type of incident but it Always Scares the crap out of me. I'm willing to bet that yesterday or today where some very sore days for the drivers involved as it usually takes 2 to 3 for the bodies defense to let down. Again hope everyone is on the mend.