PDA

View Full Version : VW golf running rich / fuel starve

richard breese
09-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Hoping some of the VW wizards on this site can help. I have a ITB 86 VW golf with a CIS-E injection system which I am having problems with. I recently had a valve job done and the injectors rebuilt and it has been since then that I've been having a problem with the car seeming to run rich / hard start condition.

Additionally I am having a problem with the car shutting down (possibly fuel starvation) in sharp right hand turns. Namely T3 (with nascar turns) at New Hampsire. This was after 5-7 laps. At the start of qual/race sessions the car seems fine, but then seems to starve in this one turn only, rest of the track runs fine.

Recently I pull the plugs and found the right two (facing the engine) cylinders slightly fuel fouled, the other two cylinders appeared good. After pulling the plugs or letting sit for a slight bit the car starts right up no problem, but after running for a slight bit it seems to run rich, and then gradually becomes harder and harder to start.

I recently replaced the transfer pump (in the tank) as a possible cure to the starvation problem. Additionally I just replaced the fuel filter before last weekends race.

Also another odd symptom is my fuel guage is not registering acurately (shows 3/4 tank at full).

Tried spraying carb cleaner looking for vacum leaks and found injector seals not properly seated. Pulled and cleaned the injectors and this solved a poor idle condition, but has not solved the rich / starving conditions.

Some have told me to check the cold start valve, which is still connected with a fuel line, but is not electrically hooked up. I also need to check for water in the tank.

Truly apprieciate your help / recommended diagnostic suggestions, as this ruined a double weekend for a relative newbe racer who needs the track time.

Thanks for the HELP
Rick

ITB VW Golf

Conover
09-15-2006, 10:14 PM
whats your 20? maybe someone local can come look it over for you, it's pretty hard to diagnose something at a distance.

One thing to check might be your ignition coil, make sure it is mounted solidly and that it is not pulling away from the harness in the right handers, and that the harness is not split or frayed, I've seen that problem with similar vintage golfs, we chased a fuel issue and finally found that electrical fault.

richard breese
09-16-2006, 10:16 PM
I am just outside of Hartford CT. I haven't checked the coil / wiring yet, I'll check that next. Thanks for the input.

Rick
ITB VW Golf

racer_tim
09-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Why did you dis-connect the cold start valve? I run a 83 VW GTI with CIS and haven't had a problem with running the stock FI setup, including the cold start valve. The only thing I don't have connected is the 02 sensor. I have an 02 sensor but it's attached to an A/F mixture gage.

Why did you dis-connect the cold start valve? I run a 83 VW GTI with CIS and haven't had a problem with running the stock FI setup, including the cold start valve. The only thing I don't have connected is the 02 sensor. I have an 02 sensor but it's attached to an A/F mixture gage.

richard breese
09-17-2006, 10:06 AM
The car was built by David Liera a prominent VW racer in Miami Florida, where I assume this was not necessary. During the summer months up in NE I question if its necessary. Prior to having the head redone the car ran fine without the cold start connected.

Thanks,
Rick
ITB VW Golf

Eric Parham
09-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Also another odd symptom is my fuel guage is not registering acurately (shows 3/4 tank at full).[/b]

I suspect a wiring or grounding problem, either with the in-tank transfer pump and/or with the external connector. Of the 3 wires in the connector, one is for the gauge, one is for the pump, and one is a SHARED ground, IIRC. The lean running in right corners would not happen if the tranfer pump was keeping the low-pressure reservoir full. Also, make sure that the hoses to the transfer pump aren't reversed (one dark blue, one black).

Bill Miller
09-18-2006, 05:45 AM
Did you replace just the transfer pump, or the pump and the sending unit for the fuel gauge? If you replaced the whole thing, you may have a faulty sending unit (or one that was for a different tank). Did this fuel reading issue only happen after you changed things? Could be some corrosion on the upper end of the windings for the sender circuit.

The fuel starvation issue, what's the fuel level in the tank when this occurs? Does it occur on a full tank as well as a partial tank? I know on Rabbits, there's an issue w/ the pickup tube being uncovered at lower fuel levels, in hard RH turns. Not sure if this is also an issue w/ A2 cars.

You also said that you had the injectors 'rebuilt'. I'd check the spray pattern.

richard breese
09-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Reply to questions:

Bill: I replaced just the transfer pump. At this time I did find some oxidation on the electrical connection to the fuel pickup assembly. During reassembly I cleaned up this connection. One thing I did notice, was that the pickup assembly was spring loaded and didn't seem to be the smoothest action. I am wondering if a new pickup assembly would be best.

As for the fuel guage, it registers 3/4 tank when I know its full and I just noticed this after replacing the transfer pump.

I've been through most of the fuel system electrical connections, but still have some further investigation to do as suggested by Eric & Conover.

Hope to dig into some of your suggestions this weekend. Apprieciate the help & I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Rick
ITB Golf

flaboy
09-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Richard,
you should just run the hell out of that "c" car you bought from the guy in Daytona!!!(me)

Just kidinig..hope things go well for ya.

Tim Martin

richard breese
09-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Tim,

I think your talking about my Dad, who still has that ITC rabbit. He and I bought the ITB golf about a year and 1/2 ago and have been racing in the NE in the summer / fall and bring the car down to Sebring Turkey trot and race it in FL during the winter spring months. So far its been alot of fun. As a newbe I have yet to run a track twice other than Lime Rock and New Hampshire (not realy as the last time I ran was when I was having problems, only logged 10-15 laps total on a double weekend). My father is in Puerto Rico helping his girl friend with her sick father. Anyhow, My Dad's still has the ITC car / motor if your still interested, I'll at least let him know you say Hi. Take Care.

Rick
ITB VW Golf

flaboy
09-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Richard,
I saw your fathewr at Moroso and we talked about me buying that car back...just trying to get some money together for him.That was a great car.Well good luck with your problem...mine is giving me a bunch of problems.I will be at the turkey trot,please stop by and say hi.my new car is the same color as your dads "c" car.Please tell your dad i said hi.

Tim

zracer22
09-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Check the spark plugs. I had similar symptoms, and it turned out to be spark plugs. No platinum plugs, just run cheap resistor plugs.