PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point Labour Day Grandstand Story

Bads Mr2 Crew
09-14-2006, 02:57 AM
I usually crew for two cars each weekend, but this time we only had one, so I had a bit of a reprieve. I could actually watch some racing whilst at the track.
So, intent on that, my dad and I decided to go down to the carousel and watch the Small Bore race on Monday, as they are always entertaining. We walked down the long dark road and sat at our usual spot, top left corner of the lower carousel grandstands. You can watch the cars appear down the chute, go through the twisty bits, and then go off into the distance up the hill.
A couple of laps into the race we noticed an SPU Mercedes trying an inside pass on a Baby Grand in 7. After the first tap, I thought for sure the Baby Grand was going off onto the grass. I mean, this was a tap from a Mercedes, but the little guy corrected and kept it on the track. Unfortunately, the Mercedes was occupying the space the Baby Grand needed, and there was another touch. This one was just enough to jolt the Mercedes a bit too far to the right and proceed off the track into the grass.
Now, I had seen this happen many, many times, cars coming at us at 7-8, but they always corrected, or just slid a bit and tap the tires, or, at worst, hit the tires and the embankment and come to a jarring stop. Not this time.
I was watching a movie. The Mercedes hit the tire wall at full speed (for that area) and it didn’t stop. It blasted into and over the tire embankment and through the beautiful brown fencing that surrounds the track.
On Sunday I remember seeing a Buick park in that area and set up their camp. They put up their tent, moved their car, and watched racing. By Monday, the car had moved a bit again, and the tent lay flat.
The Mercedes helped it move again, after it had cleared the lain down tent.
After brushing off the Buick, the Mercedes was aimed right at us. I mean, I could look the headlights straight in the eyes. And I did, as I watched it coming right at me. I kinda stood. I almost ran. But I kept thinking, it wont make it this far, it won’t hit us. I know my dad was to my right, but I couldn’t see him. My entire line of site was taken up by this car. I watched it in high-speed slow motion. It wont make it this far. It won’t hit us. I remember sort of crouching where I was, not yet ready to run. What if I ran and it didn’t hit, I'd look a fool. There was this pretty blonde to my left a bit.
Besides, it won’t make it this far, it won’t hit us.
And then it hit us.
Imagine sitting in a chair and someone comes up behind you and pulls the chair out from beneath you fast enough so that for a split second, you are sitting on air. That is what it felt like when it hit. So, if you can imagine the steepness of the grandstands, we were instantly about 2-3 feet in the air, not so gracefully. It wasn’t so bad… until we landed. Pesky gravity.
The left side, where we were sitting, or crouching, was pushed back about four feet back, off its foundation, the right side almost a foot. The grandstands actually cracked in half.
When I picked myself up, I saw dad, pretty much upside down, a couple rows below me. I guess he didn’t crouch.
We stood there for a second. It was kind of surreal. We started asking ourselves if we were all ok. And we all were, thankfully. Then the driver got out of his car and, luckily, he was fine, going so far as to try to wave off the ambulance.
But what to do next. You don’t just sit back down and continue watching racing after something like that, the driver, a knee on the fence, helmet by his feet, watching the race end.
Then, moments later, we were surrounded by orange shirts. They were everywhere, instantly. They immediately took charge and told us all to sit back down and get off the grandstands.
Some of use tried to do both.
Then they, and we, decided it was probably best to vacate our broken seats and get looked at. The orange shirts circulated the crowd checking for injuries. It was amazing how efficient it all went. The worst that I saw was my dad with a wee bit of blood on his elbow. Eyeing some of the tasteful rust spots decorating the grandstands, he opted for some antiseptic and a band-aid.
Soon after, we spotted some friends that had seen what had happened from other parts of the carousel heading towards us to check everyone’s well being. We were just a bit shaken and stirred.
Then I saw the red flags. The race had been stopped. One question answered.
The driver was ok, and we were ok. The grandstands, and the unlucky bicycle that had been resting up against the corner of the grandstands, were not. But thanks to the EV crews and corner workers, the situation was under control and all was being taken care of.
I went around back, underneath, to get my water bottle and found the hat my dad had been knocked out of. We hitched a ride with some friends back to our paddocks.
I have been going to Summit Point for 29 years now as a spectator and as crew. I’ve seen some wins, and I’ve seen some spins, but this will stay with me for a long time.
Thank you again to the Corner Workers and the EV Crew of Summit Point Raceway. Here’s to a bigger, better tire wall.

StephF
09-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Holy SH!T!
Glad you wwere OK. Bet there will be some changes there in the near future. I've sat up there and watched races before too. I wonder what was going through the driver's head as he careened towards the stands... :ph34r:

JamesB
09-14-2006, 09:49 AM
According the driver when we left the racing surface and knew he could not bring it back to the track he had two feet in immediatly. The next thing he knew he was in the air and fence pieces where bouncing off the windshield and he wasnt slowing down. The rest we aready know what happen. I am just glad noone in the stands where hurt as well as Rob.

RSTPerformance
09-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Didn't I see a video this past summer on this website or one of the Miata websites that shows a Miata going over the wall at Summit on drivers left just before you get to that section of the track? Maybe they need to rethink the tire walls???

Ironically with all our bitching Lime Rock has what I think the safest design for walls... that isn't to say that it is layed out safely, but I do like the design.

Raymond

JamesB
09-14-2006, 03:35 PM
that wasnt the same turn and that wall has been changed.

EV
09-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Didn't I see a video this past summer on this website or one of the Miata websites that shows a Miata going over the wall at Summit on drivers left just before you get to that section of the track? Maybe they need to rethink the tire walls???

Ironically with all our bitching Lime Rock has what I think the safest design for walls... that isn't to say that it is layed out safely, but I do like the design.

Raymond
[/b]
That was at a different spot in the track and another strange situation. That Miata cleared the tire wall after hitting a small hump in the dirt prior to the wall. Shenandoah county WV is about 6 inches of dirt over solid rock (I think). Anyone who has attempted to drive a tent stake into the ground would agree. That hump is an exposed rock and it would take great effort to smooth it out. That wall wasn't even present the year prior, it was only woods as there are few offs that direction. It's also a very short wall, maybe 2 and a half feet tall.

In that situation it turns out the driver and car was in better shape by clearing the wall instead of hitting it. The small brush slowed the car down gradually instead of a hard wall hit. Once we got the car out of the woods, it was drivable and went on to race later that day.

I would expect the conditions that created that launch, just as this latest situation, would only present themselves once in 50 years. I will say we could try to account for everything that could go wrong, but even then something new would present itself. Summit has responded well to issues in the past and I expect them to do the same here.

RSTPerformance
09-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Looks like their is no need to rethink the walls!!! Seems like Sumit is very responsive and welcoming... I havn't been down in years, but as with every year we add it to our wish list, maybe next year!!!

Raymond

EV
09-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Looks like their is no need to rethink the walls!!! Seems like Sumit is very responsive and welcoming... I havn't been down in years, but as with every year we add it to our wish list, maybe next year!!!

Raymond
[/b]
There is still time. We have one more MARRS race. Maybe you could come out and be the spoiler :) (yes that was a challenge)

Mark your calendar it's the weekend of Sept 30

dave parker
09-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Bill
Summit Point Motorsports Park is in Jefferson County, WV. As a ten year resident of Jefferson County I think your estimate of six inches of soil is a little generous. It is more like two inches of soil over solid bedrock. But then what would you expect of a county whose primary cash crop is rock (from the many quarry operations still in the county. :D

I to am glad that there was only minor injuries in the Mercedes mishap. I am sure that the track will address the situation appropriately. They are usually very responsive to these types of things.

BadsMr2Crew,
You should submit your story to the DC Regions Straightpipe publication. It would help people understand exactly what happened and dispel any rumors.

I hope to see everyone at MARRS 9.

Cheers
"dangerous" dave parker
WDCR HP #97

ggnagy
09-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Bill
Summit Point Motorsports Park is in Jefferson County, WV. As a ten year resident of Jefferson County I think your estimate of six inches of soil is a little generous. It is more like two inches of soil over solid bedrock. But then what would you expect of a county whose primary cash crop is rock (from the many quarry operations still in the county. :D

Cheers
"dangerous" dave parker
WDCR HP #97
[/b]

Soil? You have soil? You live in the fertile part of the Shenandoah Valley!
:D