PDA

View Full Version : Have permission to spend money for a school

terry
09-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Just turned 50 and have permission to spend time and money for a driving school. I am not interested in driving open wheel cars, too short, fat, and wide to fit in one. Interested in others suggestions and experiences. Will probubly be racing a 240z in ITS or EP next year.

Thanks
Terry

lateapex911
09-13-2006, 10:00 PM
I too thought a driving school would be a great idea before taking the plunge. The downside is that the money could buy a lot of tires, but the upside is that the knomledge stays with you forever, and actually saves you money in terms of track time and destroyed equipment.

I would think twice about the Formula car ban. They are great teachers, because their reaction is immediate. No mistaking what your inputs produce in reactions from the car. And they are pure machines that follow the laws of physics logically.....once you learn the theory, you can apply it to other car types.

Most of the big schools are good, I took my school at Skip Barber. But choose a good track...the more technical, the better. Elevation changes, and blind corners are best.

Call your final choices, and ask about stand by. If you can be flexble, you can save some good money.

charrbq
09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
I too thought a driving school would be a great idea before taking the plunge. The downside is that the money could buy a lot of tires, but the upside is that the knomledge stays with you forever, and actually saves you money in terms of track time and destroyed equipment.

I would think twice about the Formula car ban. They are great teachers, because their reaction is immediate. No mistaking what your inputs produce in reactions from the car. And they are pure machines that follow the laws of physics logically.....once you learn the theory, you can apply it to other car types.

Most of the big schools are good, I took my school at Skip Barber. But choose a good track...the more technical, the better. Elevation changes, and blind corners are best.

Call your final choices, and ask about stand by. If you can be flexble, you can save some good money.
[/b]
Excellent advice!

terry
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I have been racing five to six races the past two years in ITS with the 240. Aprox 1-1.5 seconds off the the fastest cars. The car is not the problem it's the rookie driver. Big butt and have to have left shoulder forward to fit into the 240 is the issue with formula cars.

Terry

Chris Wire
09-13-2006, 11:33 PM
You sound like a perfect candidate for a Panoz school. I don't know any more about it but the cars are fairly roomy for a full-on racecar.

You are east coast challenged because they run at Road Atlanta and Sebring, but it's only a plane ticket away.

www.panozracingschool.com (http://www.panozracingschool.com)

Also:
www.bondurant.com (http://www.bondurant.com)
www.go4itservices.com (http://www.go4itservices.com)

IPRESS
09-14-2006, 09:21 PM
You might look into the Stephens Brothers School at Hallett. Great safe track, usually small number in class and you drive SRFs. A good balance between open wheel and closed wheel. Lots of track time as I remember.

Doc Bro
09-15-2006, 08:22 AM
Hey Terry,

I chose to do the school thing first. It's a lot cheaper than buying a car and finding out you don't like it. If after school you feel that racing's not for you the experience will make you safer on the highways. (It saved my mom and dad's life!!)

When I was evaluating schools I looked specifically at 2 criteria.
1. Teacher/student ratio
2. Amount of time with in car instruction vs. lead follow instruction.

I picked Bondurant because virtually all of the instruction was in car. I wanted to know I was screwing up my feet or timing or something like that. It's much harder for the instructor to tell you that you need to lift to set the front of the car if he's in a Viper in front of you.

I live in CT but I felt strongly that the cross country venture was worth it- and it was. As Jake said don't rule out the formula car experience and maybe even shifter cart. I've done both and they help to illustrate what fast is. They help lock in the elevated vision aspect of driving that is so important. Besides you'll never do it again, so butter up your suit, slide yourself in, and go for a ride!! :D

R

DavidM
09-15-2006, 12:50 PM
I did the 3-day Panoz school at Road Atlanta. It was an easy choice since I'm in the Atlanta area. The 3-day school also qualifies you for an SCCA regional license, but you don't need that if you've been racing. I was able to get a 4th day of lapping for free by giving up my class spot for a spot in a later class. I was very happy with the school and the instructors. This was the beginners school so we progressed from basic skills, to running the school course, to running the full course. The cars are big enough to fit just about anyone. They offer a 2-day advanced school that you may qualify for if you've been racing. I'd call them up and chat with them if you're interested as you'll usually wind up talking with one of the chief instructors.

David

terry
09-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Great information guys. I will give the schools a call and see what is available. I may wait until Febuary or 1st of March. I may not forget as much between school and race seasonnext year. Recieved my first AARP letter Thursday addressed to both my self and wife. I carfully whited out my name and left hers on. She was a little upset, she will not be fifty for another five years.

Terry

charrbq
09-16-2006, 07:09 AM
Don't snear at AARP! It will get you discounts at motels, restaurants, etc. when you're on the road to races! I use it all the time just to pissoff my younger team mates...both of them. The rest of us are all retired and on AARP. :lol: