PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit GTI engine hiccup

tcpip
09-11-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm looking for some info on why my 84 GTI seems to hiccup when accerating between 1000-2000 rpms. Past 2000 it's smooth sailing. I did find an old thread about a similar (if not the same) issue being fixed by changing the fuel filter. I'm going to try and change that this week, and try some fuel injector cleaner. Are there any other suggestions on what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Thanks,

racer_tim
09-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Why worry if your Wabbit doesn't run between 1k and 2k RPM? The only time you should be in that RPM range is leaving grid.

I would check your ignition timing. How do you set it? Static @ 3k rpm? Do you still run the vacuum advance? I don't. Set your timing around 32 degrees @ 4k rpm and be done with it.

gran racing
09-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Having Jon's car sitting in my driveway, I believe it's through higher RPMs than 2K. :( A few other facts about it. The car has been sitting for a while. (Jon, when did the guy say it was last run?) My hope is that it could be water in the lines, just need fuel injector cleaner, and/or a new fuel filter.

JamesB
09-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Better description of the breakup would help. Got visable a/f on video during a run, that can tell you if its fuel (blip lean) vs. ignition (blip rich.) If not I suggest checking plugs and wires for condesation if the cars been stored outside. If noone remembers the last time the fuel filter was replaced it might not be a bad idea.

Last thought, how loud is his fuel pump. My car used to break up around 4k rpm, 2 track sessions later during its shakedown event it siezed but it was the worlds loudest fuel pump.