PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Date Updates

BobsAuto
09-08-2006, 02:36 PM
As usual, the "big mouth" of the RST clan will post as many of the results as possible. I'll get qualifying sheets and final result sheets and get them posted as soon as I can. Since I come home quite often in the middle of the day, I should be able to post the qualifying before the races. Hopefully, I'll get all the results without making typos.
Let the races begin!!!!! :happy204:

Andy Bettencourt
09-08-2006, 06:40 PM
First report...

Test day saw Greg A. in ITA and Kip V in ITS running under the current track records (Chicane/Chicane)...should be a good race. Good luck to them setting the records in the race.

BobsAuto
09-09-2006, 05:03 AM
I worked in Registration for the first time last night and I must say that I had a blast. I am amazed at the fun one has working in that area. I didn't get to meet driver's from the forum as I worked the worker's window, but that gave me a bird's eye view of the great camaraderie I already knew existed at NER events. Just from a different perspective. Enjoy one and all.... :cavallo:

BobsAuto
09-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Sorry guys, but my weekend sort of got really busy. I stuck around their area in case I had to make parts runs or whatever for them. Raymond and Stephen were beseiged with car issues. I can say that both raced Sat. with sick cars and finished. Derrick Lugar took ITB, with Tim Mullen taking 2nd, and Rob McCabe taking 3rd. That left an interesting issue for Sunday. Raymond HAD to start the race to stay in the hunt for the NARRC, Stephen had to have a finish, and Tim had to finish 3rd or worst to keep it a 3 way battle. As it turned out, I think Rob McCabe took first with Derrick finishing 2nd (I may have that reversed because I am always getting it mixed up as to who is in the white car and who is in the blue car) and Tim (at the last few laps of the race) overtook Stephen to take 3rd with Stephen finishing 4th. I believe that leaves it at Stephen and Raymond tied with Tim being just 2 points ahead for the NARRC-offs. I am sure that Raymond will give you the correct breakdown, but what I do know is that whomever finishes ahead of the other two will take the championship. Phewwww!!!!!

ITA didn't race on Sat. as there was a horrible thunderstorm that hit NHIS at the end of race 6 leaving two race groups to race first thing Sunday morning. I do know that there was a protest in that race and am not sure how it resolved and what the finishing order was. I know that there was a protest in the race because the guy doing the protesting came up and said it would take time to get those results because he had issued a protest. When I saw him in the early afternoon, he had no answer as to the results. Not sure if it was because he won or lost.

I didn't catch who won ITC on either day and missed the ITA race Sunday as I had to get hubby home and to bed rest.

Can anyone fill in? To the forum guys that I met this weekend either at registration (where I worked) or at tech....it was great putting names to faces finally. I look forward to seeing you all at Lime Rock.

16v
09-10-2006, 07:36 PM
oh wee.. there was some silliness going on today. I'm batching all the photos now, they might be up tonight

Greg Amy
09-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Very quick top-3 ITA synopsis, so I can go to sleep (I'm beat!)

- Sunday AM race: Amy with the win and new lap record for south chicane couse; Hunter, Bettencourt very close behind. The protest was one filed by Dave Patten, a GTL driver, against Andy Bettencourt for rough driving. Protest was resolved with each driver getting one point against their licenses (that's right: BOTH). I've seen the tapes and heard witness report from Hunter who was following, but I'll let Andy chime in here before I offer an opinion.

- Sunday afternoon race: Richie in 1st with Andy about half an overlapping car-length behind under the checker, and Amy in very close pursuit. Amy led 3/4 of the race until an "altercation" with Hunter in T3. No new track record, although Bettencourt was less than 1/10 of a second behind the existing NASCAR 1/2 course record. We need to re-pore through the points to make sure, but it apears Amy has clinched the NARRC championship with this last finish.

Unofficial trackside viewer report in ITS: very close battles, with Van Steenburg winning Saturday in his Miata and sunday in his Porsche.

ITC: Eric Parham all the way!

Andy Bettencourt
09-10-2006, 10:34 PM
The protest was one filed by Dave Patten, a GTL driver, against Andy Bettencourt for rough driving. Protest was resolved with each driver getting one point against their licenses (that's right: BOTH). I've seen the tapes and heard witness report from Hunter who was following, but I'll let Andy chime in here before I offer an opinion.
[/b]

With respect for the SOM's I won't really offer up much. Needless to say I am not 100% in agreement with the decision (how does that saying go...if both sides are not completely happy, then the decision was probably the right one?). I received a 'repremand' with no change to the results. This type of ruling does carry a 1 point penalty per the GCR. Both parties agreed to move forward with no hard feelings.
AB

lateapex911
09-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Hmmmmm..interesting!

Sounds like there's more to the story. Reading between the lines, it sounds like there were some retalitory hits by the protesting driver. A Stewards decision that places guilt in both camps has to have been made with some solid evidence against the protester, I would think. But I wasn't there, and am just trying to think logically.

Any following video? Or video of any kind?

dominojd
09-11-2006, 02:39 AM
, a GTL driver, against Andy Bettencourt for rough driving.[/b]

Andy finally found somebody smaller to pick on. :D

Congrats guys good job.

Dave Patten
09-11-2006, 06:53 AM
I will say that Andy Bettencourt’s in-car film does provide sound evidence of “Rough Driving” by both Andy and myself. I am sure that Richie Hunter’s witness report was most damning for myself and certainly was what finalized the SOM’s decision to take action against me.

Andy, would you please post a link to the film footage you provided the SOM’s showing the three points of contact between us, from turn 10 thru entering the front straight. I would be more than willing to explain my side of the story after that footage has been made available to the viewers of this message board.

Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH
#21 Datsun 510, GTL

JLawton
09-11-2006, 07:14 AM
I will say that Andy Bettencourt’s in-car film does provide sound evidence of “Rough Driving” by both Andy and myself. I am sure that Richie Hunter’s witness report was most damning for myself and certainly was what finalized the SOM’s decision to take action against me.

Andy, would you please post a link to the film footage you provided the SOM’s showing the three points of contact between us, from turn 10 thru entering the front straight. I would be more than willing to explain my side of the story after that footage has been made available to the viewers of this message board.

Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH
#21 Datsun 510, GTL
[/b]

I thought Andy was very good about not pointing any fingers and turning this into a pissing match.....Why don't we keep it this way? (and remember, you're on an IT site so you may not get as much sympathy as you would expect/hope for/deserve/not deserve, whatever........) Plus, there are other facts other than the video that add to the "drama".

Andy Bettencourt
09-11-2006, 08:12 AM
I will say that Andy Bettencourt's in-car film does provide sound evidence of "Rough Driving" by both Andy and myself. I am sure that Richie Hunter's witness report was most damning for myself and certainly was what finalized the SOM's decision to take action against me.

Andy, would you please post a link to the film footage you provided the SOM's showing the three points of contact between us, from turn 10 thru entering the front straight. I would be more than willing to explain my side of the story after that footage has been made available to the viewers of this message board.

Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH
#21 Datsun 510, GTL
[/b]

Dave,

I agree with Jeff. If you want it to be over, then let it be over. If I post the video I feel it will spur on debate that will become non-productive. We are on opposing sides of an issue, the ruling is final in my eyes (I have no intention of appealing the severity of your penalty) and I want to put a situation I am frustrated with behind me. We both could have done some things differently and I hope we both learned something.

16v
09-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Over 600 images are now online at the usual spot, including an interesting series:

http://www.the16v.com/SCCA/06/nh4/images/DSC_3947.jpg

:figo:

Jeremy Billiel
09-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Over 600 images are now online at the usual spot, including an interesting series:

[/b]

Doug - Like always you have some very good pictures there.

On the picture above are you suggesting that the fast line through 3 is not in the grass?

:D :D

16v
09-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I leave things like finding the best line to the fast guys :birra:

RSTPerformance
09-11-2006, 10:56 AM
in a nutshell... last weekend all around sucked for me...
Changed the transmission 4 times in my car in 2 days :dead_horse: I did learn A LOT though and we know how do prepair for future transmission problems. Saturday Qualifying: 3rd lap, car gets stuck in 4th gear... broken syncro (sp)
Saturday Race: different transmission - No 2nd gear. Overheated tranny/clutch and melted the rubber bushings in the linkage
Sunday Qualifying: Another new transmission.... things didn't line up, long story, but end thoughts are that the tranny is bound up . Still shifted through all the gears so went out to qualify. Burnt up clutch within 1 lap, came in on lap 2 I think
Sunday Race: Tried rebuilding a tranny between qualifying and sundays race, was unsuccessful.... put back in the bound up tranny and did one lap to get 1 point for the NARRC series.
Points battle... I had things all set, but as the results show, I didn't do so well. Now Tim Mullen is leading the NARRC points in ITB and my brother and I are tied for 2nd. The NARRC Runoffs will determine whome finishes in what order for the top 3 spots in ITB. Should be interesting, but NOT what I had planned.
Had to work, not that I mind that at all, but it was hard as it involved 2 people whom I respect and like a lot.
Didn't get to watch much racing.... :bash_1_: I really really wanted to watch some races!!!

Ok I did see a few races on Sunday...

First... congrats to Ed Funk.... I like Eric alot, but he does need some competition!!! It was a good battle while it lasted :)

While that was great, the best race though was the ITA race on Sunday from what I saw. Greg, Andy and Richie put on a great show!!!

In ITB I herd, but did not witness their was a great race on saturday between Rob and Tim and then on Sunday it was a great chace for the lead, but Rob just cound't get Derek to mess up... Congrats to Derek on a great weekend in ITB with 2 victory's!!!

Special congrats go to Tim Mullen from myself... we have not concentrated on the NERRC series, however going into this weekend realizing that it was a possibility to win NERRC, we did try our hardest, and we got completely @$$ whipped by you!!! Congrats on a well earned NERRC ITB Championship, you certainly deserve the title of champion :smilie_pokal: Good luck for the NARRC championship :cavallo:

Raymond "I said 4 weekend ago things can only get better... errrr" Blethen

JLawton
09-11-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't think the stewards would need to see the video to make a ruling on that "incident"!! :P

I heard on Friday someone discussing how ITA is the new Spec Miata (as in, over aggressiveness) OUCH

Classic line of the weekend:

Guy #1 - Why don't you adjust your tire pressures to xxx?
Guy #2 - But that will make my car over steer....
Guy #1 - What's your car doing now??
Guy #2 - Understeering.............. :wacko:

Sorry J, couldn't resist!!

Except for the one hour Saturday afternoon, perfect weather!!

Hows this for a mix of cars, Top 5 in race #1: Nissan, Teg, Miata, Saturn, Honda

RSTPerformance
09-11-2006, 11:14 AM
EDIT:

I have to say a "thank you" to a few people for this past weekend, and the major efforts put in...

Justin Abbott, Randy Schneiderheinze, Tom Grey, and My Brother for the long hours and late nights from Thursday through sunday

Dad- Some behind the sceens advice

Mom- taking cars of all the small things that are really big things.

"The Girls" Margaret, Stephanie, Theresa, and Heather for dealing with us beeps... ummm yeah thank you for real, you were all great and despite what we may say, we absolutely LOVE it when you are at the race track :).

Brian Muchnick- Tried his hardest to build me a new transmission, but we were under the gun and just didn't have the right tools or enough time/parts. Thank again Brian, your help was greatly appreciated.

dazzlesa
09-11-2006, 11:29 AM
it looks like i missed all the fun. i showed up on friday ran 2 laps in my civic and broke. i was very surprissed by how many A guys were testing.by the testing and the pictures and some of the reports it looks like some very intense racing. did i miss the note about the prize fund? Congrats to greg for the narrc. last year it was a huge releif not having to rely on the runoffs to win. to andy and dave try and move on.i know it stinks when there is 2 people used and abused and mad at each other.

Jeremy Billiel
09-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Guy #1 - Why don't you adjust your tire pressures to xxx?
Guy #2 - But that will make my car over steer....
Guy #1 - What's your car doing now??
Guy #2 - Understeering.............. :wacko:

Sorry J, couldn't resist!!

[/b]

I am always good for at least some laugh for the weekend.

Last time it was the stewards and this time it was my lack of brains!!

The good news is that from this odd discussion with Jeff I made some fairly drastic tire pressure changes and wow!! Is that how a car is suppose to drive? :happy204: :happy204:

Another conclusion for me this weekend is that I suck at qualifying. I do not push myself near hard enough. I think Matt Miskoe was shocked when he saw me catch him for both races after starting way back!

Sorry to any ITB guys if my Black Integra was in the way as I was going through ITB traffic as I tried to not get in the way of any of the points battles.

I seem to like making my life difficult starting from the back of the field. :wacko: :wacko:

StephF
09-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I just want to say a huge thank you to the hubby/crew chief for the amazing thrash job he did on my/our car. :023: It loaded onto the trailer Friday night in a state of total, non-running disarray. A rebuild and rewiring job ended up stretching out all season. We want to run it at the Glen next weekend, and that was looking less and less likely. He told me that he could work on it at the track and would try to have it ready for the race. I looked at the car with wires trailing everywhere and honestly didn't believe it could be done. We had to use the tractor to load it into the trailer.

He and Bill and John worked on it all day Sat., and he was back at dawn on Sun. By the end of qualifying, we were bolting the last few pieces back in. Brian M was doing the annual tech on it during race group 2 (we were 4), and we drove out to the grid together. We had people coming up to us saying they couldn't believe he pulled it off.

It's not geared for NHIS, but I didn't care. I used the race as a test session, and am absolutely delighted with how it's handling and feeling. Hopefully, a few minor tweaks and different tires, we'll be all set for next weekend.

I didn't think he was going to pull it off, but he proved me wrong..... so here's to you, hon! :OLA:

Dave Patten
09-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Dave,

... We both could have done some things differently and I hope we both learned something.

--------------------

Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports[/b]

Andy,
I agree fully.

For me this past weekend reached an unprecedented low in my 20 seasons of SCCA Club Racing. I have never before willfully made metal to metal contact with another competitor and for that I admit I was 100% wrong in doing so.

Andy, enough said, we do not need discuss what went on between the two of us any further.

I do feel though there is an underlying "Culture Clash" between the two basic groups of cars/drivers that precipitated what happened and that does need to be discussed to help others not get drawn into a similar situation. I will start another thread on that topic.

BobsAuto
09-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I want to make mention after reading through the thread this morning that I think all of you guys and gals are really such a wonderful group of sportspersonlike (that is politically correct way of saying it, right) people that I have had the pleasure of knowing and watching in a long time. You all work hard with one another, bounce ideas off one another, encourage each other in a way that I have not seen since IT became an entity in the late 80's. Tim, congrats on the ITB NERRC Championship. You really gave the kids a run for the $$. No offense, but, I hope you get beat in the NARRC though. :rolleyes: (Little bit of team pride there.)
Also, to those who came up to me in registration. Thank you for telling me all the nice things I was told about my kids. I AM proud of them and I want you all to know that. (But it's nice being told by people I've never met before that I SHOULD be proud... :D )
See you all at LRP.

And to Derrick and Rob.....Diane and Kathy want to go to LRP. Don't you think the trip would be fun???????? :happy204:

TimM ITB
09-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, that was ANOTHER fun weekend at NHIS. Great racing, great party, great friends. From my point of view, the best of what this club is all about.

Raymond and Trish (Raymond's mom) - thanks for the good words. The NERRC is neat to be sure, and I'm pround and happy to win it, but I will still be pushing my foot through the floor at LRP to try and grab the NARRC, as well!! Sorry Trish! Lately, however, I have had no luck running at the dang track! But, luck is NOT a word that I want to use around Raymond. He has had his share of bum luck this year.

Now, what can we do about those pesky Canadians, eh?? Actually, I had the hardest - best - funnest - race I have ever had with Rob McCabe on Saturday. Too bad we were fighting for second and not the win, but it was as hard as I can race! And I think that I now probably qualify for the Joey Chitwood Stunt team after my "encounter" with the right hand berm and the front of Rob's car on the last lap!! Strange, but it got real quiet while I was up in the air on 2 wheels. Surreal, dude.

I will be doing my best "Sun God" dance starting NOW for the Lime Rock weekend (has it ever NOT rained for the NARRC's?) - at least that way I will have a fighting chance of being in front of the Blethen Boys.

Raymond and Stephen, from what I can figure, either one of you has to finish at least 6th, and I have to be behind you for you guys to win. If you finish 7th or worse and I'm behind you, I still get it. If I finish anywhere in front of you, I get it. Yes? All of these numbers - my brain is hurting me!

See you at Lime Rock!

Tim M

RSTPerformance
09-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Tim
I have started the work to get Raymond's trans ready & have discussed some ideas about Stephen's car.
Fear not, we will be READY for Lime Rock!! On second thought perhaps you should fear just a little :D
Tom Gray
RST crew

Jeremy Billiel
09-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Everything has been posted on MyLaps!

Jeremy - who is looking forward to LRP in a month or so...

RSTPerformance
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Tim-

Have no worries, we have given up our long time traditional Blethen endurance race at Watkins Glen (last chance Enduro) and the ARRC budget is now being spent on the NARRC so that we can give the NARRC championship our all... Good luck and we will talk the smack, but remember, deep down, I think you have been our favorite contender in all the years racing. From my perspective having you and my brother as my "arch enemys" is sort of ironic, as both of you are probably the most respectful freinds I have raced with ever.

The ARRC isn't out, but we certainly wont be going down with the original budget we had in mind if at all. The NARRC has been and will continue to be our main goal this year as it is the hardest championship to win by far. Whomever wins the NARRC this year certainly will deserve the title. Oh and yes your numbers are correct.

Raymond "congrats again Tim" Blethen

Tkczecheredflag
09-13-2006, 05:46 AM
We need to re-pore through the points to make sure, but it apears Amy has clinched the NARRC championship with this last finish.
[/b]

Greg - Congrats on the NARRC Championship - Impressive season of results. WOW! I'd lilke to say it was fun racing with you, but I never saw you. :lol:

JLawton
09-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Does anyone have any video of my car from behind in the afternoon ITA race? It had some "interesting" handling characteristics and I need some entertainment for over the winter. :wacko:

Greg Amy
09-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks, Tim, I appreciate that.

Jeff was laughing at me this past weekend. Seems at the beginning of the year I/we had no real idea of how we would do except for an expectation of some limited success (shoot for the first win, get reasonable finishes, run some track we've been meaning to for a while, etc). At the time I had verbalized an apparent lack of priority towards the NARRC championship; in fact, I do recall saying as much on this board and noted to all that I believed the championship would go to someone that invested the time and effort to run the entire season consistently. So, Jeff was laughing that by the time this past weekend rolled around it's all I was concerned about!

Our results in that first rain- and sleet-soaked event at NHIS did nothing to dampen that idea (but it did dampen my driver's suit...) However, as the season progressed through the wins at Pocono and NHIS Andy Bettencourt pointed out that we had built a sizeable lead, and that I had a real shot at winning the whole thing. Right at that point of realization, the season attitude changed dramatically. I guess you could say Andy did it to himself... ;)

It wasn't too long after that my wife and I took a two-week vacation, right during the July LRP event and the Pig Roast double. Richie Hunter and Andy Bettencourt tightened up the points battle with their wins and we found ourselves digging in for a strong fight. It would be disingenuous (thanks, Dick) to ignore how tight the points truly were towards the end of the year; if Richie had chosen to go to Pocono he'd have 12 more track points; and the relative performance of the Miata at the upcoming double-points NARRC Runoffs will be one heck of a show. As Rick so noted, it's a great relief to not have to worry about that mosquito at LRP!!

2006 was a year of transition; there were many new entries (if not faces) and most of the last two years' pointy end chose other paths. I simply happened to be in the right place at the right time. Next year, however, is shaping up to be a barn-burner. Let's not forget that, generally speaking, there were many other dogs in this fight this year. Tim, you're in a very good car, and you are always a force to reckon with; Jeff Lawton in the ragin' Saturn has shown flashes of brilliance - did you guys know he's been on three-year-old Hoosier S03s all year? What's Ray gonna do? How about strong finishes from Victor, Erik, the Bogarts, JoeD, and any of the other 20+ cars out there?

Yep, good folks, good class. Seems like you're either in ITA, or you suck... ;)

gran racing
09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Seems like you're either in ITA, or you suck... [/b]

"Matt, this is a much faster route down to Atlanta than that silly Southern route. Yeah, much faster. We'll have Greg's car down there in no time." :P

Congratulations Greg!!

StephF
09-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Yep, good folks, good class. Seems like you're either in ITA, or you suck... ;)
[/b]

Gee...having known people like Paul and Eric Curran, Scott Carlson, Jim McMahon, Blethens, et al, I'm truly amazed that you can make such a statement like that even in jest. There are good drivers in every class out there. And no one's group 'sucks' Greg. That's not even a remotely humorous thing to say.

gran racing
09-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Ah, he's just teasing. Besides, we all know the REAL drivers are in ITB. :P

dazzlesa
09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
i thought just the c guys sucked :P

dickita15
09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
come on everybody can't we just go back to hating Me Otters

lateapex911
09-13-2006, 04:53 PM
no, no, they're called wreck me otters....

RSTPerformance
09-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Greg-

I just called the Conneticut DOT and asked them to make sure you got a Lemon for a tow vehicle... maybe you will miss a few races :P

I am sure Greg was just "causin trouble" and doing a little smack talk, afterall the closest battle for NARRC points in years is in ITB :rolleyes:

Raymond

TimM ITB
09-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Raymond;

Hope that you, Randy, Tom, Stephen and crew find your gremlins! I can only imagine the frustration!!

In any event, I am really looking forward to the NARRC this year. I had not planned on being "in the hunt" for the championship at all. I was really only planning on running the "double events" this year, with all of the other "stuff" that has taken up so much of my time this year (daughter's wedding, business changing location, etc). But it's funny what can happen when you try to win each race, rather than simply "not wreck" as in years past. But forgetting about points, this year has been the most fun that I've had in racing. The good clean hard door to door, nose to tail races that you and I had over Memorial Day weekend, learning how to drive the Pocono enduro without brakes, the Canadian contingent (Derek and Rob) coming down for the Pig Roast and the Cheap Date - well, no matter how the NARRC ends up, it will have been a great time this year..........................which is not to say that I won't be doing what I have to do to stay ahead of you and Stephen on every lap!!!!!

Good luck - and see you in a few weeks!

Tim "just another sucky ITB racer" Mullen

16v
09-13-2006, 10:06 PM
And I think that I now probably qualify for the Joey Chitwood Stunt team after my "encounter" with the right hand berm and the front of Rob's car on the last lap!! Strange, but it got real quiet while I was up in the air on 2 wheels. Surreal, dude.
[/b]

Standing at station 2 on Sat I can attest to the Chitwood-worthyness. Not since Tom Kelly went all the way up up up and not over at T3 have I seen anything like Tim's move in the chicane.

and no, I don't have a pic :bash_1_: I had packed up my gear to run to the car when the lightning got too close for my liking

Greg Amy
09-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Yup, and here's the in-car video complement to that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWX8U7hP10

:figo:
[/b]

Jeremy Billiel
09-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Good video Greg - Does that make it 2 or 3 that you "owe" Richie?

almracing
09-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow Greg... even with a point-by. But you showed great restraint, not even a swear! (Unlike my favorite in-car commentator - Tim Kla.... :P )

JLawton
09-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Richie is a bad bad boy!!! :018:

You just couldn't hear the swears on the radio like I could!! You think idle chit chat on the radio is distracting........ :wacko: