PDA

View Full Version : Bicycling a Rabbit

JimW337
09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Another first for me at Nashville, was getting the Rabbit up on two wheels. After I got the car back on track 3 laps down I was ready to lap the pack (remember I'm a Novice). During that first lap back on track there is an uphill section of esses leading onto the back straight. When I made the left the wheels came off the ground and the world looked a little tilted through the windshield. Luckly, it was in the middle of the esses and I was already turning right which brought the car down. I couldn't remember what I did differently from any other time through that section and I really wanted to know so I wouldn't do it again.

Is bicycling a Rabbit normal? Is this something I should expect under certain conditions? And how high is too high to get 2 wheels off the ground.

Too many firsts for my first race. I guess you should expect the unexpected in racing.

JamesB
09-06-2006, 08:26 AM
jim with how much spring are in these cars its verry easy with the touch of a curb or otherwise to put the car on two. I don't know those esses but if anyone was behind you see if they have video to be sure you really did go up on two and not hit and off camber section that fooled you.

However, if you where around me in spring school you may have seen me do it the few times I got too close to the turn 1 inside curbing.

zracre
09-06-2006, 09:31 AM
my GTI used to 2 wheel alot...I didn't even know it until someone told me from behind...it just feels like body roll but when she gets way up there and it is corrected it can be scary...on Toyo's it was alot...I can't imagine with a sticky set of Hoosiers now :unsure:

RSTPerformance
09-06-2006, 11:32 AM
And how high is too high to get 2 wheels off the ground.
[/b]

If your mirror touches the ground, you might be a little to high... :birra:

Raymond

JLawton
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
There was a discussion about a year ago on the "Rolled a GTi/Rabbit" club. There were a "few" members if I recall. Very hight CG on those cars. It's not when your mirror is touching the ground that it's too far, it's when the mirror lands in your lap!!

The solution to going up on two wheels: Wear two pairs of underwear and hang on!!

charrbq
09-06-2006, 12:41 PM
In VW's, it's the way of life to bicycle. It's not something to fear, but something to be aware of. Don't try to do it until you are certain of what it feels like, then it will become second nature. I've seen Rabbits on three wheels in a parking garage. Once you learn how it feels, you can use it to your advantage. If you do it without know what you're doing, you stand a real good chance of having the opportunity to build another car from the wreckage. Racing with Rabbits is entertaining as they bounce from curb to curb...a feat that I can't do in a Honda. If I do, I'll be scattering suspension parts from one turn to the next.

For entertainment, follow (or try) Chris Albin for a few laps around the track. I'm always amazed watching him bounce on a berm and put the outside tires on the inside of the apex...and never slow down. I've seen him literally take tight turns on one wheel...not for long, but that was all that was touching. The time will come that he runs the straight on two wheels for less drag, but I don't want to watch!

BlueStreak
09-06-2006, 04:51 PM
I did it probably a half dozen times entering the bus stop. It would have been the preferred line, but I lost so much momentum with the right front in the air spinning, it wound up being quicker to turn in a shade later and avoid the whole bicycling thing. Gotta admit though, it's entertaining on video :lol:

racer_tim
09-06-2006, 08:06 PM
I remember the old VW Rabbit Cup in the early 80's where we would have a "roll" and continue. I hit the curb during our short course @ Sears Point and when I can down, I ended up breaking the hub bearing.

Video shows me going at least 30 degree's from horizontal

http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/videos/sea...-two-wheels.avi (http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/videos/sears-point-aug-24-up-on-two-wheels.avi)

dave parker
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Guys
Bicycling a Rabbit (MK1), Golf(Mk2) or Scirocco is not an uncommon thing. However it can get a little hairy sometimes. It is also VERY hard on the suspension and driveline components. Just be careful as it can get away from you very quickly.

As for the statement that " There are those drivers who have rolled a Rabbit (or Golf) and those drivers who will roll a Rabbit (or Golf)." It is very true. For an example of what not to do look here, www.pbase.com/brettwp/rollover_x_three_and_a_half .

Yes I am a member of the "I Have" club.
I prefer to roll cars only for money, but that is just me.

Bill Miller
09-07-2006, 06:35 AM
I've got pictures of me w/ my old ITB Rabbit GTI on 2 wheels in the esses at Summit Point. Those cars go up really easy! I used to get my street GTI on three wheels all the time. Oh, and I'm a member of the 'have' club. :smilie_pokal:

Knestis
09-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Have.

But it was "special circumstances" (aka a rally)

K

EDIT - anyone have the link to that recent posting of the Rabbit at the hillclimb?

BlueStreak
09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Jim,
I need to talk rabbits with you - email me at si16l (AT) yahoo.com

zracre
09-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Have.

But it was "special circumstances" (aka a rally)

K

EDIT - anyone have the link to that recent posting of the Rabbit at the hillclimb?
[/b]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...10925540&q=scca (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3938277292010925540&q=scca)

there ya go

Greg Amy
09-07-2006, 11:56 AM
BTDT.

charrbq
09-07-2006, 12:27 PM
On a brief highjack...if anyone remembers the Renault Le Car/R5 series. No there was cheap, disposable car that was destined to roll over. You had to be careful walking too close to one of them in the pits for fear they would suddenly tip on their side. During one race, the corner workers had a lottery for who ever guessed closest to the number of Le Cars would flip during the race. The winning number was 5.5. The .5 was accomplished when one of the cars ended up on it's roof. :P