PDA

View Full Version : Z3 Coliover setup

Z3_GoCar
09-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Rob, Noam, or anyone who runs an e-30.

The time has come to scale my car before I take it out on the track for the first time. I called TC Kline already and asked, but I need more information on where to baseline the chassis height and where should I read it from. Secondly, how about how much toe? 1/16th in?? How about setting the shocks in compression/rebound? I'm just looking for a place to start a baseline. Thanks,

James

mlytle
09-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Rob, Noam, or anyone who runs an e-30.

The time has come to scale my car before I take it out on the track for the first time. I called TC Kline already and asked, but I need more information on where to baseline the chassis height and where should I read it from. Secondly, how about how much toe? 1/16th in?? How about setting the shocks in compression/rebound? I'm just looking for a place to start a baseline. Thanks,

James
[/b]

end-----camber-----toe-------height
front-----3.0-------1/16 out-----5.25
rear-----2.0-------1/16 in-------5.5

i used to measure ride height from the bottom of the rocker (per scca regs).

marshall
ex-e30 e35is ITS prep

Z3_GoCar
09-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey Marshall,

Thanks,

I have to confirm this but I think that my car's set pretty close to that now. As the rear is not adjustable, I'm running ~1/4" of rake and my rear is at 5 5/8"

James

mlytle
09-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Hey Marshall,

Thanks,

I have to confirm this but I think that my car's set pretty close to that now. As the rear is not adjustable, I'm running ~1/4" of rake and my rear is at 5 5/8"

James
[/b]

sorry i couldn't help with the shocks...i ran a/d's and don't have my setup notes on the car anymore.

think i was running 700f/ 550 rear springs, rd front bar on "medium" and no rear bar.

good luck!

marshall

nlevine
09-06-2006, 01:07 PM
James - I think I've got a little more toe than Marshall (maybe closer to 1/8 out in the front, in at the back). Running the TC Kline springs (600/550 if I remember right), RD front sway in the middle, no rear sway, shocks set around 6 "clicks" on compression and half-to-three-quarters on rebound. Not sure where my ride height ended up (I really should re-check that)..

-noam

Z3_GoCar
09-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Hey Marshall, Noam,

Thanks for the spring reccomendations. I mentioned toe-out to my mechanic, I've also been reading "Engineer to Win", and he wasn't in favor of it. I'll run some testing laps and see how it feels with toe-in, toe-out, and maybe trying to change the Ackerman. The car's been scaled and will be less than 2500 lbs. with me in it. I figure that I've got a couple hundred pounds to add to make IT legality, so 100lbs of ballast will be needed to make the proposed ITR weight. For ITE I'll just run it as is.

James

mlytle
09-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey Marshall, Noam,

Thanks for the spring reccomendations. I mentioned toe-out to my mechanic, I've also been reading "Engineer to Win", and he wasn't in favor of it. I'll run some testing laps and see how it feels with toe-in, toe-out, and maybe trying to change the Ackerman. The car's been scaled and will be less than 2500 lbs. with me in it. I figure that I've got a couple hundred pounds to add to make IT legality, so 100lbs of ballast will be needed to make the proposed ITR weight. For ITE I'll just run it as is.

James
[/b]

trying different stuff is the right way to find what you like! :)

data point - none of the bmw guys i know run any toe in on the front. some run zero, but most have a smidgen of toe out "to taste". it really makes a difference in how the car turns in.