PDA

View Full Version : Fall Frolic Double Regional at ORP (IRP)

Racerlinn
08-30-2006, 07:19 AM
If you have not already received the entry in the mail, forms and supps are available at:
http://www.indyscca.org/RaceFiles/2006RaceSchedule.html

Race Groups:
Group 1 SM, ITB, ITC, SSB, SSC, GP, HP
Group 2 ITE, ITS, GT1, GT2, GT3, AS, T1, T2, SP
Group 3 ITA, BG, T3, SPU, EP, FP, GTL, LC
Group 4 SRF, CFF, FV, F5, FST
Group 5 FA, FM, FS, FC, CFC, FF, S2, ASR, CSR, DSR

SPECIAL FEATURE EVENT
1. On Saturday there will be a Special Feature Event - The Headless Horseman Handicap Race. This event will be open to all closed wheel classes (including SRF). Cars will be handicapped based on their speed potential, such that slow cars start first, faster cars start at subsequent times based on their potential, and all cars should theoretically finish at the same time. First car to complete 10 laps wins.
2. To enter, sign up at Driver Info. Entry fee will be $20, ALL of which will go into the purse, along with additional funds to be determined by the Race Chairmen. Minimum purse will be $500. Limited to first 24 cars entered.
3. Purse Distribution: 35% to First Place, 25% to Second place, 15% to Third Place, 25% as the Drive of the Race Award (winner to be determined by the Race Chairmen and Operating Stewards). Payout will be in cash after the event. Top three finishers will also receive Champaign and podium photo session.
4. Starting positions will be determined by the Chief Handicapper based on times turned during Saturday qualifying and races, class records, secret incantation, and black magic. (warning: eye of newt and toe of frog may be used)
5. Cars will be gridded in single file order in the pit lane with the first starter at pit exit. Cars will start from the pit exit station (standing start) upon signal from the Chief Handicapper. As each car leaves the pits, subsequent cars must roll forward to the pit exit but may not proceed until signaled by the Chief Handicapper.
6. Any car entering the pit lane from the track is automatically a DNF and must stop at the head of the pit lane so as not to interfere with remaining cars.
7. Starting times as determined by the Chief Handicapper are not protestable. The Chief Steward has final say in all matters regarding the conduct of this event and may alter the regulations for this race only, as necessary at the time of the event.

Special Supplemental Regulations for Chili Cookoff & Pumpkin Chucking
Chili Cookoff ($5 race entry fee discount for bringing a pot of your own Chili)
1. Contest open to all drivers, crews, and workers.
Classes: “Wuss” (mild)
“Holy Cow” (medium)
“I Can’t Feel My Mouth” (hot)
“Where’s the Beef?” (other than beef for meat)
“Veggie” (no meat).
2. Awards will be given on the basis of popular vote.
Pumpkin Chucking
1. The objective is to use an elastic (e.g. slingshot) type design to launch a generally pumpkin-shaped object of roughly one pound (provided by the pumpkin chairman).
2. A Team of three humans must be used for holding and actuating the launcher.
3. No hydraulic, electric, or propellant based launchers are allowed.
4. Points will be awarded for accuracy relative to a target, not distance.
5. Decisions of the Pumpkin steward are final.
:birra:

itracer
08-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Sounds like fun. Too bad it's 1000 miles away.

Is the The Headless Horseman Handicap Race really only $20?

Pumpkin Chucking sounds like fun. I know some VWs that are painted like pumpkins. Can we use those? :cavallo:

Racerlinn
08-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Sounds like fun. Too bad it's 1000 miles away.

Is the The Headless Horseman Handicap Race really only $20?

Pumpkin Chucking sounds like fun. I know some VWs that are painted like pumpkins. Can we use those? :cavallo:
[/b]

Yep, only $20 and it all goes into the pot.
There's a certain pumpkin colored ITA Integra I wouldn't mind seeing chucked....
Oh wait, he did that to himself back in the spring when he chucked himself into the tires at T9!! Of course he then came back and won the friggin race. :wacko:
Hi Kevin!!

R2 Racing
08-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Yep, only $20 and it all goes into the pot.
There's a certain pumpkin colored ITA Integra I wouldn't mind seeing chucked....
Oh wait, he did that to himself back in the spring when he chucked himself into the tires at T9!! Of course he then came back and won the friggin race. :wacko:
Hi Kevin!!
[/b]
Don't forget that I broke my own track record again in doing so. You left that out.

I imagine I'll be there because this handicap race sounds like just too much fun. :birra:

lateapex911
08-30-2006, 03:51 PM
That handicap race is an AWESOME idea!!

I think it was done years ago at Lime Rock. I think I read about it in the Lime Rock book. Sounded like fun, and I'm glad to see it's being done today.

Racerlinn
08-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Indy Region used to do it pretty regularly back in the 80's and 90's (I am told - way before my time).
I know I am certainly looking forward to it. Maybe I can chuck a certain orange Pumpkin on track.... :P

Racerlinn
09-19-2006, 11:19 AM
I imagine I'll be there because this handicap race sounds like just too much fun. :birra:
[/b]

Well Kevin, are we going to be missing you next weekend?
With Ian a man without a car and Downing skipping, I may actually be able to peddle my $hitbox Nissan a little closer to the front. I'll probably end up in the middle of a mess of Production cars.... :o

iagreen
09-19-2006, 11:55 AM
yeah, I'm skipping. As much as I did enjoy the track (despite the bumps) I'm gonna go with the WOR Games for my last event of the year. But I expect to bring the new car out to ORP for the early race next year.

downingracing
09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm skipping too - probably. I've just got too much going on right now, but I'm not saying 100% not going. You just might see me there on Sat. AM ready to race. I've got the same issue with the Nelson race this weekend... Damn, I really need to balance that checkbook and make arrangements for the family!!!!! :cavallo:

R2 Racing
09-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Well Kevin, are we going to be missing you next weekend?[/b]
If I show up, it'll be in an ITC car.

Racerlinn
09-19-2006, 01:07 PM
If I show up, it'll be in an ITC car.
[/b]

Oh great, now Ruck's gonna beat me in an ITC car..... :bash_1_:

R2 Racing
09-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Oh great, now Ruck's gonna beat me in an ITC car..... :bash_1_:
[/b]
I got $20 on it.

:P

downingracing
09-19-2006, 04:58 PM
I got $20 on it.

:P
[/b]

Put me down for $20! :018:

The sad thing is he would beat me in the C car too... :bash_1_:

R2 Racing
09-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Steve, how are the entry numbers looking for this weekend? I really wanted to be there and show my support for the event but it looks like I won't be able to. I just have too much work to do on the Integra, as I'm actually trying to get it ready for WOR Games if at all possible.

I hope the weekend goes good for you though, as I want to hit it next year!

Racerlinn
09-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Steve, how are the entry numbers looking for this weekend? I really wanted to be there and show my support for the event but it looks like I won't be able to. I just have too much work to do on the Integra, as I'm actually trying to get it ready for WOR Games if at all possible.

I hope the weekend goes good for you though, as I want to hit it next year!
[/b]

Well, like the trend has been in CenDiv/Great Lakes as of late, the car count is low. We're over 65 cars right now and hoping for some decent late entries. As of yesterday we have 7 ITA cars, but only 3 ITS and 1 ITB. We have no ITC cars. Spec Miata is leading the way with 11 cars. The run group nunbers are pretty even so we will most likely stay with 5 run groups.

It's gonna be a loser event money-wise for the Region. Thankfully our track rental fees are no where near as outrageous as M-O. Obviously having WOR Games next week doesn't help much, but we were stuck with this weekend as the only one available. A lot of people forget that ORP is a pro track just like MO and RA, it's just that they run ovals and drags rather than other road course events.

trd771
09-28-2006, 05:31 PM
steve, only three ITS cars, ouch. Now I wonder if I should withdraw and go to the WOR games. I hate to do that to a local event, but it does not seem worth it for 3 cars. lets pray for some late entries. Is there a posted listed yet/

Racerlinn
10-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Well, here's my report:
A fun and successful weekend for the SE-R. With the big dogs staying home, the mid-pack mongrel had a chance to shine.
Since I haven't raced since early July, Saturday morning qualifying was used to shake off the rust and ended up running a little slower than I have before with a 1:55. ITA was running with T3 so we had a much newer T3 class Sentra SE-R and a pair of Miata's ahead of us, the mongrel SE-R in 4th. Before our race started, one of the Miata's had a major shunt thru T2 in the earlier Spec Miata race group and destroyed the car. So that moved us up one on the start. Took the green and I got a run on the outside of the other Miata thru T1 but could not hold him thru T2. Settled into 3rd place overall and 2nd in class and started to defend my position against the 4th place Neon behind me. A few laps in the T3 SE-R grenaded his motor in quite spectacular fashion coming thru T11 - photo's to follow - so we were now running 2nd in class and 2nd overall. Got into a rhythm and made sure I stayed ahead of the Neon, I was resigned to the fact that the Miata had checked out on me and I wasn't going to run him down. Until the black flag started waving at him and he was slowing way down! I pulled him going down the front straight and made the pass for the lead with about 5 laps to go - we got ourselves a race! The Neon was still dogging me and suddenly here come's the Miata again back up to speed. He gets past the Neon and is setting me up for T12. I take the inside line and make him take the long way around and he cooked it in and went off into the grass on the outside of the corner. The Neon got checked up as well so now I have a little room to breathe, but not for long. I get the 1 lap to go sign and the Miata is running me down hard and makes up huge time thru the T2-T5 section where I am dog-slow. Down the back stretch he drafts me and into T6 I defend my position to the inside. He takes the normal line and gets a big run thru T6 and promptly slams me right in the rear bumper going thru T7. Fortunately I was on the gas and it did not upset the car too much, and in fact gave me a real nice run thru T8 and down to T9. Defended my line again to the inside thru T12 and again this time he got a good run off and slammed me in the rear bumper again going into T13. Had a good run up to T15, gave him the inside line if he wanted it this time, because all I had to do was be next to him thru T15 and I knew I would pull him down the front stretch to the checkered. He apparently realized this as he did not dive bomb me and the mongrel SE-R took the ITA class win and it's first overall race group win. The reason the Miata had slowed was that his window net had fallen down and he was trying to put it back up. He was black flagged but did not come in - a big no-no. A protest was filed after the race and the Miata was given a penalty, moving the Neon up to 2nd place.
We had 17 cars sign up for the Headless Horseman Handicap pursuit race at the end of the day and the mongrel started around 5th. Had fun the first half of the race holding off my buddy Rick in his Miata as we had a couple other sedans get past us. Rick got tied up behind another Miata we were passing and went off in T6 but did not loose a position. With a few laps to go, a train of three Spec Racer Fords drafted up on me going down the front stretch and I began hoping that while they may not have to brake much for T1, I sure as heck did and hoped that they would realize that! I gave them plenty of room to the inside and away they went to eventually finish 1-2-3 in the race. With a lap to go we were running in approximately P5 when coming thru T3 the car quit! Argh! A quick check of the gauges showed no issue - woops, except the gas gauge. With the gas sloshing around in the tank, that quarter tank I had was showing Empty on the guage and the car was fuel starving thru the right-hand corners (as I have experienced before). It did it again thru T5 and here comes a pack of 5 or 6 cars in a great battle behind me. T6 is another right-hander and the last thing I need is it to fuel starve again with a pack of battling cars on my rear bumper, so I pulled off line and waved them by, finishing the race back in 10th or 11th, the mongrel's tail between his legs.
Sunday morning, I put gas in the car. And checked it twice. It rained overnight and was very foggy and dewy, so the morning sessions ran on a wet track. By group 3 qualifying, most of the track was dry but the exit thru T15 was still slick and T8 and T9 were still wet. Qual times were slower and after running a couple hard laps I waited till the end of the session to get a clear and as dry a track as possible. Ran a 1:56 to put me in second place next to a GTL Nissan Sentra that had shown up on Sunday to test for the RunOffs. They were happy with their morning "test" session so they packed up and left, putting the mongrel on the pole! Yow, first time for that! The Neon lined up second so I knew I could pull him on the start, especially with me being able to choose the pace to the line - conveniently at about 45 mph right in the torque band of second gear. The Miata from the previous day had got himself into some more trouble in the earlier group 1 SM race and did not start the group 3 race. At the start the Neon slotted in behind me thru T1 but made a run on me to the inside of T2, I slid up a bit and the 3rd place EP RX7 also got by me. First to third in two turns. The EP RX7 found some serious speed from the previous day and checked out on us. I kept the Neon in sight and started to run 9/10th laps to keep him in contact and to keep the GTL Datsun that was on my tail behind me. About 6 laps in, the Neon slipped a bit and I took a run on him and passed him going into T1. We ran nose-to-tail and had a great race going with the GTL Datsun. They started battling and I was able to gap them a little bit, then suddenly they were gone. The Neon had spun off and tagged the wall at T4 and a lap or so later the Datsun ran out of gas at T8. Now here I am with a huge lead and about 6 laps to go, so I kicked into conservation mode and was short-shifting, using 5th gear on the front stretch, and not over-driving the car in the corners. As I was coming out of T14 I could see the Neon back on track and coming thru T10, so I was able to keep tabs on him while running probably 5 seconds slower than normal. By the last lap I had let him catch up to within sight of me, but still about 15 seconds back. Across the line and the mongrel SE-R took two ITA wins in one weekend! And one I will consider lucky as well, as on the drive home from the track (yes, I drove the car to the track this weekend) I started getting a heavy pulse thru the brake pedal. Parked the car in the garage and then took a quick look at the front wheels. Yep, a nice big crack in the right front rotor!

downingracing
10-02-2006, 09:21 AM
CONGRATS STEVE!!!!!!! Sorry I missed the weekend - sounds like it was a great time!!! :cavallo:

R2 Racing
10-02-2006, 11:01 AM
......I kicked into conservation mode........while running probably 5 seconds slower than normal.
[/b]
Steve, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that's not "conservation mode", that's "driving like my 82 year old grandmother mode". :P I can't even imagine the amount of this :smilie_pokal: you were doing. Nice work!

I really wish I could've been there for that handicap race. It sounds like a lot of fun and I think I could've had something for those SRF's. I figure running 1:50's in the sprint race and then clicking off 1:47's during the handicap would've done the trick. :figo:

Racerlinn
10-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Saturday's race started out boring and then got real exciting and fun.
Sunday's race stared out exciting and fun and then got boring. It was too bad Murphin spun off, I enjoy racing with him and it was going to be a barn burner between us. I failed to mention that his dad spun off at T9, backed it in and put the rear axle of the car up over the barrier. At the time I had a quick thought that I knew Murph would be thinking about his dad. And he admitted later that he was and that slowed him up a bit. We ran a local yellow for about 4 or 5 laps while they got the car off the barrier (with the tow truck coming up behind the barrier), but then curiously they left the car sitting there for the rest of the race.
Oh, and I failed to mention my big spin at the entrance to T3 in Saturday qualifying that had me all the way out in the grass. I put-putted across moving grass all the way to T5 to get back on. And of course, my friggin camera didn't work the entire weekend.... :bash_1_:

datadude
10-02-2006, 02:23 PM
all results are uploaded to mylaps.com, search neohio and then find the 2 seperate events.

Racerlinn
10-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks Con.

Kevin,
Do you have a 100 year old great-grandma that still drives? Cause I was driving like her on lap 13 when I ran a 2:07!
:happy204: