PDA

View Full Version : What class would I qualify for

aben8057
08-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Hello All,

I was guided to this website upon my research into getting involved in road racing. I am new to the area of motorsport racing however enjoy ever aspect of it.

I have a 1995 Mitsubishi 3000gt naturally aspirated vehicle with standard bolt ons. The bolt ons consist of intake, exhaust, suspension and a pulley kit for now. I wanted to know what class would I be able to qualify for?

My main objective is to have fun and learn as much as possible about racing before investing money into another vehicle.

I thank you for any feeback and information that you could provide me.

On a note I observered the ITR vehicle list however the 3000gt only specified up to 1993.

zracre
08-27-2006, 11:41 AM
you should do track days to get the track time then start to consider it...if you already have done the track days with the mitsu then you should have a better Idea of what you are getting into...it is expensive and time/space consuming. Plan on spending alot to get into ITR...personally I would look in the Classified section and look for a good reliable less expensive car to get licensing done in...you can get a car/suit/gear/school entry fee in for what it will take to get the 3000gt on track with equivalent eqquipment purchased separately...

lateapex911
08-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Welcome! We are always happy to see new faces.

You'll get a some great advice here. We can be dorks about arguing rules, but theres a lot of knowledge here that can be very beneficial.

You will hear certain bit's of advice time and again....and the first replay theme is that you should buy a built car. And probably in a slower class, like ITB or ITA. $4000 -$8000 will get you a good to fast car that has a logbook and all the needed go fast parts, and represents a great value situation, as the raw parts of cars like that are probably worth twice as much...plus the labor and trials of development.

So, IT represents a great value in the lower ranks. ITR can be done somewhat inexpensively, but thats a very relative term. Certain engine rebuilds in ITR will cost 3 times what an entire fast ITB car cost! And running costs will be higher as well.

So, while it probably seems lke you already have "the car", double check if you want to spend the money to make it track worthy for your first car.

I would go to the "General discussion" part of this site, and pinned at the top of the list is a book, written by a guy, Dave gran, ITB racer, who has traveled the very same road you are about to, called "Go Ahead, Take the Wheel"....it's a book about how to get started roadracing, on a budget. I have a copy 2 feet away from me, and even though I've been at this for a few years, I certainly learned a bunch reading it. It's a great book for a guy like you, as it's like having a personal mentor!

Finally, I agree with Evan, go do track days with the current ride, but resist the tempation to upgrade the car. Use the platform to learn how to get around the track.

In the begining of anyone's career, the biggest improvements come from laps..laps...and more laps.

And try to attend as many local races as you can, paying particular attention to the IT ranks. After the race or qualifying, head to impound and check out the cars. listen in, and ask questions if theres a quiet moment. Most of us will bend over backwards helping a new guy with info.

Good luck!

BobsAuto
08-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Where are you from? NER has the Double up here in Loudon, NH in two weeks. A great event to get to know people at. ....

BudMan
08-28-2006, 07:20 AM
My main objective is to have fun and learn as much as possible about racing before investing money into another vehicle.

I thank you for any feeback and information that you could provide me.

On a note I observered the ITR vehicle list however the 3000gt only specified up to 1993.
[/b]

Alex - definately skip "racing" for a year or two and do some HPDE's so you can learn how to drive at speed. You'll know soon enough if door-to-door racing is an addiction you must feed. During my SCCA qualifying school, it was scary how many "never driven on a track before" guys there were. That is NOT setting yourself up for success, not to mention the waste of many $$.

If you are in the KC area, I'd gladly help the process along for you.

Sincerely,
BudMan

aben8057
08-29-2006, 09:09 PM
All,

Thanx for all the informative information. I will follow your advice and get some seat time at local events before investing my money and time. I will contact some local tracks and see what clubs are renting it out for the weekend.

Thanx Again

gran racing
08-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Alex,

Ironically, I started out with a 1996 3000GT doing HPDEs. Although the car was a blast to drive around town and autocross, it isn't the ideal track car especially in the ITR class. The car is just too darn heavy. (That was the car I grew up wanting, so it's not like I don't like the car.) As a bare minimum, flush the brake fluid with something like ATE Super Blue. If you go easy with the car on the track, as you should the first few HPDEs, you'll be fine. I will say that when I used mine on the car, it would have benefited by some decent high performance brake pads.

I certainly learned a bunch reading it.[/b]
Someone as experienced as you? But thanks.