PDA

View Full Version : old roll cage, still legal?

anrkii
08-27-2006, 04:19 AM
the itb car i have bought and mostly prepped has not been raced since '02
i know i will have to add more door bars, and braces for the main hoop.

the cage is an old model autopwer, bolt together, and it also bolts to the floor, with sandwich plates.
i have the ancient logbook, but even with that will the cage be legal?
i couldnt imagine welding it to the ultra-thin, wavy floor of this 85 crx, but will i have to anyway?
what about the bolt together sections? must I or should I weld those solid?

also, can i just use a petcock with a piece of hose for my fuel sample port? or must it be fancy?

thanks in advance

JimLill
08-27-2006, 09:02 AM
we&#39;ll have to bring stuff like that up to 2007 spec..... maybe Autopower will offer door bar kits <hint>

lateapex911
08-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Legal? Sort of...

You&#39;ll need to read the GCR section on Showroom Stock cage requirements, and the one item that stands out is the need for two horizontal bars per door opening.

Also, familiarize yourself with the ITCS section on the IT specific cage requiremnts and allowances on page 15/16 of the ITCS.

Finally, keep in mind the option to utilze "NASCAR" bars and the resultant allowance of door gutting. Read the definition of "Nascar" bars, (in the definition section, of course) ...it&#39;s not what most people picture in their minds when they read that phrase.

Greg Amy
08-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Also review the 2006 Fastrack updates in regards to new 2007 cage and window net rules

Bottom line: there&#39;s no easy answer, you&#39;re going to have to read ALL the rules and determine it for yourself. I&#39;d also suggest getting in touch with a local tech inspector for guidance.

Greg

Speed Raycer
08-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Whatever you do, don&#39;t loose the old logbook. If it&#39;s an ERW cage and you loose the logbook, it&#39;s new cage time.

tom91ita
08-27-2006, 07:55 PM
fwiw, this is what i did for my itb crx:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tom91ita/det...77b.jpg&.src=ph (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tom91ita/detail?.dir=5582&.dnm=a77b.jpg&.src=ph)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tom91ita/det...16b.jpg&.src=ph (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tom91ita/detail?.dir=5582&.dnm=916b.jpg&.src=ph)

i also did some welding at the sleeves for the bolt-in cage.

quick question regarding the old log-book, does that mean that you can revert to as big a mounting plate you want? as long as it was registered (logbook started right?) before 10/1/95 you can make them as large as want to, is that right?

tom

tom91ita
08-27-2006, 08:23 PM
oops, forgot this, i just went with the fuelport guy because he had the connections and i couldn&#39;t find the 1/16" npt tap and his prices were good.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/sccafuelports/page2new.html

i think he is quite active in scca in ohio.

tom

JimLill
08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
GCR mentions NASCAR bars and I see people doing them. If width isn&#39;t an issue, how critical do you guys feel that is in a ITB car?

joeg
08-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Just understand how the GCR defines "Nascar Bars"--it is not what you necessarilly think are Nascar Bars.

Two side bars will do and they need not have any vertical connectors.

If you run your mandatory two per side side bars slightly into the doors, you can gut the doors and gain a weight tradeoff because the windows and regulators weigh something.

That is a good thing for any IT class.

Have fun.

Speed Raycer
08-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Two side bars will do and they need not have any vertical connectors.[/b]
*cringe* Yeah, technically, they don&#39;t need to be there, but be smart when you build them and throw some vertical stringers in there. You&#39;ll thank yourself if someones bumper ever tries to come in to say hello.

lateapex911
08-28-2006, 08:46 PM
yes, the NASCAR bars are really not what people picture as the classic ladder setup you see in NASCAR. If I were doing a setup for the right side of the car, I would line one bar with the door beam, but I would not push it into the door and tight against the beam, as i might on the drivers side, bacause the loss of interior space is no big deal on the right, and the additional crush space on the right would make impacts softer. I would definately, as Scott points out, create a mesh between the minimum two tubes.

anrkii
08-28-2006, 10:52 PM
I do like the nascar style door bars, however, my car is often kept outside in my in-town backyard, I prefer the windows up, and doors locked. Keeps the rain and the teenagers out

when i add the new door bars I will put in two or three vertical connectors for sure, probably weld the bolt-together pieces solid too....

but will I have to change my mounting points? Can i just leave them as is, maybe with a bead around the plates to the floor as well? Is there any problem with cages that are both welded and bolted?

lateapex911
08-28-2006, 11:16 PM
IMO, no, you do not have to change your mounting points. Of course, I am just some schmo on the internet. I did look it up though, and advise you to do the same. The ITCS lists specifics that the IT cars must comply with, and states that the basics of the cage designe are to be the same as Showroom Stock (except as noted). The GCR covers SS cages in section 18, where it allows weld or bolt in full width cages. But....get the GCR and read it with your own eyes, LOL!

CaptJon
08-29-2006, 06:22 AM
After I installed NASCAR style bars in my car earlier this year( and gutting the doors in the process) I decided that I didnt want a wet butt when I arrived at the track. I went to the friendly neighborhood hardware store & picked up two peices of plexiglass. Used the windows that I had taken out as patterns and cut the plexiglass to fit into the doors. A couple of bolts and braces later and I have a window that keeps out the rain and the riff-raff.

Jon
#06 ITC Wabbit
NeOhio Region

JamesB
08-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Piper did a great job with my bars. First he lowered them so they are no longer an arm rest (you had to see me in the car) Second he built a plate that attached to the oem window regulator mount that holds securely while in transit.