PDA

View Full Version : Some Videos of Redhead Racing & Performance at Road America

redheadracing
08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Here is a link to two videos of the Redhead Racing & Performance LLC #32 Civic.
The first day we took 4th over all and 1st in class. The second day 1st over all and 1st in class.
Thoughts and comments are welcome!

http://www.redheadracing.net/gallery/displ...?album=27&pos=0 (http://www.redheadracing.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=0)

http://www.redheadracing.net/gallery/displ...?album=27&pos=1 (http://www.redheadracing.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=1)

or on google video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=33...447130608&hl=en (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3365887949447130608&hl=en)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...064180895&hl=en (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3354698087064180895&hl=en)

Comments welcome!

racer_tim
08-24-2006, 11:10 PM
What classification is this car in? Is this an SCCA IT car? If so, your dash doesn't look "stock"

:018:

RSTPerformance
08-25-2006, 12:19 AM
just watched the first video, I need to go to bed already... My first impression is GO GO GO keep in the throtle longer!!! If I were those Porches you wold have been driving me nuts!!!

This can't be an IT car it has TONS of HP... did you see how much more power he had than anyone else in the video??? Time to run with a new group, these guys/gals wont be a challege for you for long!!!

Raymond "keep working at it, looks like your having a blast" Blethen

ITS51RX7
08-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Looks as if this car is prepared ( HORSEPOWER WISE ) to a GT2 LEVEL . The other cars you are racing with look like ITS Porches, I think the person in the white Porches had to be getting frustrated <_<

gprodracer
08-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Comments (as asked for...)

IMHO....
7 pound aluminum flywheel
Nicely ground purpose built cam(s)
Aluminum pop up pistons (approx. 3-5 pts above stock compression ratio)
Shifting at about 8000-8400 rpm
This is not an SCCA sanctioned IT race.
Your "stock" dashboard is behind your nice aluminum one.
But....what the heck do I know, I&#39;m merely guessing.

I could go on, but what&#39;s the point.

Best of luck!

Mark

matt batson
08-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey, again... nice video quality

It is really tough to critique your driving all that much, as it is impossible for me to "feel" what your feeling from the car thru the corners.
It seems like your maybe...not pushing to the limit thru the corners, but again...I would have to be there.

I think this because thru some corners you seem to stay with the porshes well, but then thru others they walk away.

Mostly on the corner entry, it seems like your not taking that first third of the corner well. Once again, this may be the car...

I dont know if you learned racecraft in a "hp advantaged" car...or a "hp disadvantaged" one...
I always drove cars (and road raced motorcycles) that were underpowered, when compared to the competition. While this can be quite frustrating (like the drivers of those porshes B) ), it can really teach you about perserving momentum and "free speed"

Free speed is what you have on corner entry. Your already going faster then you need to be going...so scrubbing more speed then necessary to negotiate the corner is giving up your free speed.
I kinda got the feeling your doing this...but...this all depends on your car.
If you have a fWD with a LSD, I would try not slowing quite so much for a certain corner, and then try getting on the power HARD right after turn in, well before the apex.
I think you did this a few times, and really flew off the corner...staying with the porshes very well.

Some of the sweepers I think you could try applying more power. You may be surprised that your LSD will hook up and carry the rest of the car thru with MORE power applied...You might get more understeer on the sweepers by feathering the throttle, believe it or not.
Experimentation...work one corner at a time (trying to remember at speed more then one can be counterproductive) Try applying throttle sooner, or more throttle, or more trailbrake, etc...

I, can definitely understand if your car is not set up well. Mine isnt either, but I am working on it. Without the assistance of a pro shop it can be difficult.

by the way, this is only my opinion...and we all know they are like a holes...everyone has one :rolleyes:

Matt "King benchracer" Batson

lateapex911
08-25-2006, 09:29 PM
http://www.redheadracing.net/car.php

For those interested, the above link will show how the car pulls Porsches. It&#39;s a built to the nines 2.0 litre motor. And no, it&#39;s not IT, or even SCCA...seems like Madison Sports Car Club.

My advice?? In the words of my first instructor, "Gas gas gas!!!! Brake brake brake!! Turn! Gas gas gas! More gas! Harder! Brake brake BRAKE, turn, gas gas gas.....&#39; And so on...

I think there was a bunch of feathering there, probably due to other cars in the vicinity. But it looks like you&#39;ve got some serious push up the hill! Use it!

zracre
08-25-2006, 10:32 PM
So I could guess he was in a H1 car and those were 944 cup cars with NASA? seems like a NASA type build

Knestis
08-26-2006, 08:26 AM
MCSCC is the Midwest Council of Sports Car Clubs (or something similar). They&#39;re like EMRA or ICSCC, with some classes adopted from the "big" sanctioning bodies and some that are local member-created.

K

Ron Earp
08-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Wow, video says IT car but that isn&#39;t an IT car. If that guy would stay on the gas he&#39;d be way out front!

Never been to that place but it looks like you could fark your car up in a hurry there with all the concerte.

R

charrbq
08-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Neat video...really enjoyed it.

Engine sounds like it has an ignition breaking up at high rpm&#39;s, but that could be the camera. My Canon does that, sometimes.

One gear too low through almost every corner. It&#39;s nice to have that torque and sound pulling you out, but you&#39;re having to spend too much time slowing down to get slow enough to use third gear, and you&#39;re not spending enough time in it after the turn to have needed it.

You&#39;re spending too much time waiting for something to happen in the turns rather than making it happen.

Once you began getting up to speed, you started to squeal the tires in the turns. That&#39;s okay, but they were making noise as a result of not using the gas. Had you been on the power, they probably wouldn&#39;t have made any noise at all.

It sounds like you replaced the throttle linkage with a toggle switch set for low/medium/high, and spent too much time on medium.

It&#39;s real easy to critque someone&#39;s driving when you&#39;re not behind the wheel. I&#39;ve been where you were and can tell you that if the car doesn&#39;t feel like it&#39;s under you...for whatever reason...then it&#39;s better to take it easy than to through it away. That said, push the accelerator down farther in the turns and drive them in a higher gear and you&#39;ll be surprised at how fast you go. B)

Chris Wire
08-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Since you asked.......

To parrot Jake by quoting my first driving instructor, Coasting? There&#39;s no coasting in racing! You&#39;re a race car driver....you&#39;re either on the gas, or on the brake. There isn&#39;t anything else!

With all the horsepower, you seemed too content to just suck up to the Porsches and stay behind, instead of pressing the issue and passing them.

You are too late on the throttle off the corner most of the time. Even with a sizeable HP advantage, there still looks to be room for higher straightaway speeds with an earlier application of the throttle. I can&#39;t think of one corner on that track where you couldn&#39;t be accelerating prior to the apex. The carousel doesn&#39;t apply due to the many lines that can be run. Even there you still need to be on the gas well before you hit the straight.

While I have never run Road America (it&#39;s on the list, though), can anyone else share? Is the kink supposed to be flat? It just seemed like you were giving up to much real estate backing off the throttle through that corner.

Use all the real estate. You look to have leftover room on a lot of corner exits because you&#39;re not using up the whole track. You could carry more speed off the corner if you allow the car to track all the way out.

Learn to heel-and-toe downshift. It seems you may be overslowing the car on corner entry by not being able to blip the throttle to match revs. It takes a lot of practice to get it right, but pays off in my opinion.

T1 looks like you could do it in 4th and carry a bit more speed.

Did you get your start doing HPDE events? Your style looks like the classic got-to-be-careful-cuz-I&#39;m-driving-my-street-car-on-the-racetrack type. There is room for a bit more aggression in your style. Maybe it&#39;s just not who you are, and that&#39;s OK, but it appears you could "attack" the corners a bit harder.

Don&#39;t take this the wrong way, I went through all of this, with the possible exception of the HPDE stuff (I was too stupid to drive my street car safely on the race track. I drove it like it WAS a race car!). I too learned on a high HP car and overcame a lot of driving errors with gobs of HP. It wasn&#39;t until I started driving low HP IT and SM cars that I truly came to appreciate that which we refer to as "momentum".

Good luck in your future races.

09-05-2006, 09:01 AM
RedHead is still new. His car is very well prepped, and his track set up is sweet. We&#39;re talking semi, full trailer (complete with matching graphics) huge awning, etc. I give him credit for running "UNR" instead of trying to pass it off as an ITA CRX.

My guess is the only reason he runs in IT is because he is close in lap times to other IT cars. I&#39;d imagine that with a few more races he will get tired of running away from the pack and move to another group like GT or at least Production where his car is more suited to be.

Hey Redhead...I still got fast lap of race on Saturday! :birra:

Steve

redheadracing
09-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Thank you all for the comments. I will respond more tonight. My email must be messed up since I did not recive any of the emails stating that there were responces.

fc3sboy
09-05-2006, 02:38 PM
whats funny here is that redhead racing has forgot to mention that though the civic is a IT car the real class he is in is IT/UNR wich is an unresticted class and there is no competion with that car. also forgot to mention the realtime racing influances in that car, but i will say no more about that as i only know second hand on that. the car/driver may look fast but then again a known cheater car will always look fast!

redheadracing
09-07-2006, 08:11 AM
What classification is this car in? Is this an SCCA IT car? If so, your dash doesn&#39;t look "stock"

:018:
[/b]

I am currently running with Midwestern Council with the Improved Touring group as a UNR car. I had done a motor swap in the car before I got in to wheel to wheel, when I turned it in to a race car I had to run in UNR because of that fact. I am running with the IT group becasue that is how the car is preped saftey wise. This winter we are thinking of prepping it to run with the Prod or GT group.

just watched the first video, I need to go to bed already... My first impression is GO GO GO keep in the throtle longer!!! If I were those Porches you wold have been driving me nuts!!!

This can&#39;t be an IT car it has TONS of HP... did you see how much more power he had than anyone else in the video??? Time to run with a new group, these guys/gals wont be a challege for you for long!!!

Raymond "keep working at it, looks like your having a blast" Blethen
[/b]

Thanks for input on keeping on the throtle longer. That seems to be the advice that I am getting alot. This is my 4th year racing, but really the first full year. My first year I got my novice lic at the school but did not have any $$$ to races that year. Second year ran 4 races, 3rd year blew up the car in qualifying of my first race. And now this year.

I am pretty consertive on how I drive and I really need to trust the car and push it some more. Go deeper in the corners and more thottle. I feel that I am making headway, and that is why I post the videos, I like to here what people that have been doing it for longer have to say.

Looks as if this car is prepared ( HORSEPOWER WISE ) to a GT2 LEVEL . The other cars you are racing with look like ITS Porches, I think the person in the white Porches had to be getting frustrated <_<
[/b]

Like I said above it is running UNR with the IT group. HP wise I would say I am closer to a GT2 car and we are looking at prepping the car to run with GT group but need to do more saftey stuff to the car.

Comments (as asked for...)

IMHO....
7 pound aluminum flywheel
Nicely ground purpose built cam(s)
Aluminum pop up pistons (approx. 3-5 pts above stock compression ratio)
Shifting at about 8000-8400 rpm
This is not an SCCA sanctioned IT race.
Your "stock" dashboard is behind your nice aluminum one.
But....what the heck do I know, I&#39;m merely guessing.

I could go on, but what&#39;s the point.

Best of luck!

Mark
[/b]

Mark,

You are almost on the money about the build of the car.

* Engine swap: B18C5 JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) 1.8L 4 cylinder 1998 Spec sleeved out to a 2.0L
* Mugen thermostat / thermoswitch
* Spoon Sport Magnetic drain plugs
* King Motorsports Head Job, 3 Angle valve job, Hot Tank, Port and Polish
* Import Builders "Killer Block"
* Skunk2 Stage 3 cams
* Skunk2 valve train
* R/C 550cc injectors
* Bored out Throttle body
* Port Matched Intake Manifold
* Hondata S200 ECU
* Custom straight exhaust
* Oil Cooler with remote oil filter
* Unorthodox Racing crank pulley
* Fluidyne radiator
* Clutchmasters lightened Flywheel
* AEM fuel pressure riser
* Mugen Oil Pan
* Comptech Ice Box / Intake
* Exedy organic clutch
* Catch Can
* Password JDM intake gasket & cam seal

redheadracing
09-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey, again... nice video quality

It is really tough to critique your driving all that much, as it is impossible for me to "feel" what your feeling from the car thru the corners.
It seems like your maybe...not pushing to the limit thru the corners, but again...I would have to be there.

I think this because thru some corners you seem to stay with the porshes well, but then thru others they walk away.

Mostly on the corner entry, it seems like your not taking that first third of the corner well. Once again, this may be the car...

I dont know if you learned racecraft in a "hp advantaged" car...or a "hp disadvantaged" one...
I always drove cars (and road raced motorcycles) that were underpowered, when compared to the competition. While this can be quite frustrating (like the drivers of those porshes B) ), it can really teach you about perserving momentum and "free speed"

Free speed is what you have on corner entry. Your already going faster then you need to be going...so scrubbing more speed then necessary to negotiate the corner is giving up your free speed.
I kinda got the feeling your doing this...but...this all depends on your car.
If you have a fWD with a LSD, I would try not slowing quite so much for a certain corner, and then try getting on the power HARD right after turn in, well before the apex.
I think you did this a few times, and really flew off the corner...staying with the porshes very well.

Some of the sweepers I think you could try applying more power. You may be surprised that your LSD will hook up and carry the rest of the car thru with MORE power applied...You might get more understeer on the sweepers by feathering the throttle, believe it or not.
Experimentation...work one corner at a time (trying to remember at speed more then one can be counterproductive) Try applying throttle sooner, or more throttle, or more trailbrake, etc...

I, can definitely understand if your car is not set up well. Mine isnt either, but I am working on it. Without the assistance of a pro shop it can be difficult.

by the way, this is only my opinion...and we all know they are like a holes...everyone has one :rolleyes:

Matt "King benchracer" Batson
[/b]

Matt,

Thank you for all of the input! This is exactly what I am looking for. A few answers to your point.
1: I would agree with you that I am not pushing the car to the limit of what it can do. Like I said earlier I am still pretty new to raceing and I really need to trust the car more. I personally feel that I have been getting a bit more confidend and pushing the car as the season goes on.
2: Yes the car has an LSD and it is FWD. I know what you are talking about this last weekend we were at Gingerman raceway & that track really a RWD track so in a FWD car, the car was using the LSD alot more. After seeing how the car reacts I can really see how the LSD can help put the power down to the ground.
3: Thanks for the input on the sweepers, I will need to try that and see how the car does.
4: I hear you on set up of the car. We are really starting to collect data on how the diffrent changes we make to tire pressures and suspension settings effect the car.

Thanks again for all of the help!

http://www.redheadracing.net/car.php

For those interested, the above link will show how the car pulls Porsches. It&#39;s a built to the nines 2.0 litre motor. And no, it&#39;s not IT, or even SCCA...seems like Madison Sports Car Club.

My advice?? In the words of my first instructor, "Gas gas gas!!!! Brake brake brake!! Turn! Gas gas gas! More gas! Harder! Brake brake BRAKE, turn, gas gas gas.....&#39; And so on...

I think there was a bunch of feathering there, probably due to other cars in the vicinity. But it looks like you&#39;ve got some serious push up the hill! Use it!
[/b]

Yep I am runnign with MSCC with Midwester Council. I would like to run some SCCA events but with the motor swap I am not really classed. Now I know there is the rules comming down for next year with cars prepped to world challenge specs which I could run but I would need to do more saftey things to the car, or there is always GT.

Thank you for the advice GAS GAS GAS, BRAKE BRAKE, Turn, GAS GAS GAS!!!

So I could guess he was in a H1 car and those were 944 cup cars with NASA? seems like a NASA type build
[/b]

Yes the car is more a NASA build. It would fit in the HU class. I was running with MCSCC though. NASA Honda Challange does not run much around here.

Shawn

matt batson
09-07-2006, 11:10 AM
hey, sounds like your on the right track...

suspension set-up for a FWD (well, even a RWD) is definitely a science. It amazes me how a simple sway bar adjustment can equal a second out on track, for instance...
Lots to learn yet, and I&#39;m sure I have many seconds to gain on suspension set-up alone...

It sounds like your arent hurting for money :P
I would really seriously consider professional driver coaching...
I would do it if I could afford it. I guarantee it will take many seconds off your lap times.

You can find it most anywhere and at many tracks.
I would be switching back and forth with the pro, letting him drive after a few laps to actually show you what he is talking about.
Someday when I have the extra bucks I will be doing this. :035:

I think Jim Daniels of MER (spec miata guys) does this, for instance...

redheadracing
09-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Wow, video says IT car but that isn&#39;t an IT car. If that guy would stay on the gas he&#39;d be way out front!

Never been to that place but it looks like you could fark your car up in a hurry there with all the concerte.

R
[/b]

Road America will mess your car up if you are not careful. There was about 6 cars that went home on the trailer in pieces that weekend.

Neat video...really enjoyed it.

Engine sounds like it has an ignition breaking up at high rpm&#39;s, but that could be the camera. My Canon does that, sometimes.

One gear too low through almost every corner. It&#39;s nice to have that torque and sound pulling you out, but you&#39;re having to spend too much time slowing down to get slow enough to use third gear, and you&#39;re not spending enough time in it after the turn to have needed it.

You&#39;re spending too much time waiting for something to happen in the turns rather than making it happen.

Once you began getting up to speed, you started to squeal the tires in the turns. That&#39;s okay, but they were making noise as a result of not using the gas. Had you been on the power, they probably wouldn&#39;t have made any noise at all.

It sounds like you replaced the throttle linkage with a toggle switch set for low/medium/high, and spent too much time on medium.

It&#39;s real easy to critque someone&#39;s driving when you&#39;re not behind the wheel. I&#39;ve been where you were and can tell you that if the car doesn&#39;t feel like it&#39;s under you...for whatever reason...then it&#39;s better to take it easy than to through it away. That said, push the accelerator down farther in the turns and drive them in a higher gear and you&#39;ll be surprised at how fast you go. B)
[/b]

Thanks for the pointers. As for the ignition break up there was some of that. I was having some issued with that, got new plugs in there which has helped mostly. I need to do an MSD also.

I will watch next time I am at the track I will watch my gear choice in the turns and see how I can improve.

I like the throttle linkage comment LOL. Partly that is because of the cams. They are very on or off the power.

matt batson
09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
on the subject of gear choice....

One way to practice going in faster to a corner...

Go into it in a gear that is higher then you normally would. Do this a few times with the same corner, maybe one your having trouble with...maybe a faster type corner.
Sometimes this can subconsiously make you release your brakes earlier on entry into the corner, because your struggling to get the car thru the corner faster so that your car with pull with that higher gear.
It also takes away any temptation to over-slow the car during your downshift before corner entry.

Another trick I learned (road racing motorcycles...but I think it applies to cars as well...) Approach the corner that you are working on...say you have been taking it at 60mph...or middle of third gear...whatever...

Approach the corner at 60mph, even though you could approach it at 80, then brake to 60, then turn in, etc...

So, the second time...approach at 65 mph or a couple hundred rpm&#39;s higher in third, whatever....
You&#39;ll want to get on the brakes, but resist the urge....You should be fighting the car all the way to track out.

you may have to do this until you scare yourself...Maybe try it on a safer corner with no wall or such at track out.

The point is, your trying to stay away from the brakes before turn in. Of course, if someone is behind you this may not be possible.

sense of speed is so very important. Some are better then others at it.
But, when you are lapping at within a second or half second every lap, then you have a decent sense of speed....

So, when your working this one problem corner...trying different lines or some such, it is your sense of speed that you rely on to keep yourself from overcharging or going too slow thru the corner.

If your finding that you dont have to fight the car to track out, then try increasing your speed thru the corner in incremental steps...By just one mph, for instance. Every time, a little faster...

I went to VIR for the first time last nov. and had problems with the blind, over the hill left turn after the esses....

It was high speed and should be flat out in my car (not necessarily yours :rolleyes: )
I had a very limited time on track...but this is how the race went...

I would approach this left turn (not sure the number) and not only get off the gas, but tap the brakes before turn in...
Next lap, I got off the gas and barely brushed the brakes....

Next lap, off the gas, and stayed away from the brakes.
Next lap, I didnt get completely out of the throttle, just backed off halfway...

Get the idea?

This corner kinda scared me because track out wasnt very freindly if you went off, and your really flying!

I only got down to the 2min 30 sec (grand course?), but I know I can carry more speed here, along with a couple of other corners, and can drop about 3 or so seconds....

redheadracing
09-09-2006, 02:11 AM
Since you asked.......

To parrot Jake by quoting my first driving instructor, Coasting? There&#39;s no coasting in racing! You&#39;re a race car driver....you&#39;re either on the gas, or on the brake. There isn&#39;t anything else!

With all the horsepower, you seemed too content to just suck up to the Porsches and stay behind, instead of pressing the issue and passing them.

You are too late on the throttle off the corner most of the time. Even with a sizeable HP advantage, there still looks to be room for higher straightaway speeds with an earlier application of the throttle. I can&#39;t think of one corner on that track where you couldn&#39;t be accelerating prior to the apex. The carousel doesn&#39;t apply due to the many lines that can be run. Even there you still need to be on the gas well before you hit the straight.

While I have never run Road America (it&#39;s on the list, though), can anyone else share? Is the kink supposed to be flat? It just seemed like you were giving up to much real estate backing off the throttle through that corner.

Use all the real estate. You look to have leftover room on a lot of corner exits because you&#39;re not using up the whole track. You could carry more speed off the corner if you allow the car to track all the way out.

Learn to heel-and-toe downshift. It seems you may be overslowing the car on corner entry by not being able to blip the throttle to match revs. It takes a lot of practice to get it right, but pays off in my opinion.

T1 looks like you could do it in 4th and carry a bit more speed.

Did you get your start doing HPDE events? Your style looks like the classic got-to-be-careful-cuz-I&#39;m-driving-my-street-car-on-the-racetrack type. There is room for a bit more aggression in your style. Maybe it&#39;s just not who you are, and that&#39;s OK, but it appears you could "attack" the corners a bit harder.

Don&#39;t take this the wrong way, I went through all of this, with the possible exception of the HPDE stuff (I was too stupid to drive my street car safely on the race track. I drove it like it WAS a race car!). I too learned on a high HP car and overcame a lot of driving errors with gobs of HP. It wasn&#39;t until I started driving low HP IT and SM cars that I truly came to appreciate that which we refer to as "momentum".

Good luck in your future races.
[/b]

Thanks for the input.

I would agree that I could have been on the gas more. If you watch the second vid that is day to and I did quite a bit better, I was able to get more speed and I commited more.

I can see you point about me diving like I was an HPDE driver. Up until last year that was the case, I was running the car wheel to wheel and there was still a loan on it.... LOL.
I would say that if I want to be more competive that I need to push the car more and not worry about it so much.

You are correct about the Kink at Road America. It should be flat out. But it is sure scarry when you are going in there at 100+ mph with those concrete walls 15 ft off the track. I did manage to get my self to go lat out once in the second race and it did help alot. I just need to commit to it more. Although there were at least 2 cars that went home with some major body dammage that weekend from going off in the kink.

Thanks for the pointer on the heel toe&#39;ing. I am praticing that on the street to get it my head as habit.

Thanks again for all of the help......

The last to races we did were at Gingerman and we took first over all both days.

RedHead is still new. His car is very well prepped, and his track set up is sweet. We&#39;re talking semi, full trailer (complete with matching graphics) huge awning, etc. I give him credit for running "UNR" instead of trying to pass it off as an ITA CRX.

My guess is the only reason he runs in IT is because he is close in lap times to other IT cars. I&#39;d imagine that with a few more races he will get tired of running away from the pack and move to another group like GT or at least Production where his car is more suited to be.

Hey Redhead...I still got fast lap of race on Saturday! :birra:

Steve

[/b]

Thanks Steve....I try with the track setup. I figure if I am going to build some cars to rent I really need to have the setup to go with it. It was not as expencive as everyone thinks it is though. Less that buying a new F350 and a single car enclosed trailer......:)

Thanks for the props about running UNR.... It sucks running it because there is no points but you are correct I am running with the IT group beacuse of safty of the car and lap times. This winter we are thinking of doing the safty requirements to run GT and see how we do.... that depends on the $$$ though....

Which are are you btw?

whats funny here is that redhead racing has forgot to mention that though the civic is a IT car the real class he is in is IT/UNR wich is an unresticted class and there is no competion with that car. also forgot to mention the realtime racing influances in that car, but i will say no more about that as i only know second hand on that. the car/driver may look fast but then again a known cheater car will always look fast!
[/b]

I am not trying to imply or make my self look better then I am. Yes the car is running UNR. I have no problems with that, well other then I do not get any points for racing and that is the only place I fit with my car.

I don&#39;t know what you are saying about the Realtime Racing influences, but yes as a Honda driver I would look at Realtime and King Motorsports and the leaders in the field and that there work influenced the car. But I had done all the wrenching on the car myself, except for the cage and the machining work on the motor.

And am I cheating if I am running UNR, it is unrestricted after all. I personally hope that someday SCCA MCSCC will accept some type of class for swaped motor cars so we can run for points and have some competition. I am currently just trying to get more track time so I can improve my racing skills.

on the subject of gear choice....

One way to practice going in faster to a corner...

Go into it in a gear that is higher then you normally would. Do this a few times with the same corner, maybe one your having trouble with...maybe a faster type corner.
Sometimes this can subconsiously make you release your brakes earlier on entry into the corner, because your struggling to get the car thru the corner faster so that your car with pull with that higher gear.
It also takes away any temptation to over-slow the car during your downshift before corner entry.

Another trick I learned (road racing motorcycles...but I think it applies to cars as well...) Approach the corner that you are working on...say you have been taking it at 60mph...or middle of third gear...whatever...

Approach the corner at 60mph, even though you could approach it at 80, then brake to 60, then turn in, etc...

So, the second time...approach at 65 mph or a couple hundred rpm&#39;s higher in third, whatever....
You&#39;ll want to get on the brakes, but resist the urge....You should be fighting the car all the way to track out.

you may have to do this until you scare yourself...Maybe try it on a safer corner with no wall or such at track out.

The point is, your trying to stay away from the brakes before turn in. Of course, if someone is behind you this may not be possible.

sense of speed is so very important. Some are better then others at it.
But, when you are lapping at within a second or half second every lap, then you have a decent sense of speed....

So, when your working this one problem corner...trying different lines or some such, it is your sense of speed that you rely on to keep yourself from overcharging or going too slow thru the corner.

If your finding that you dont have to fight the car to track out, then try increasing your speed thru the corner in incremental steps...By just one mph, for instance. Every time, a little faster...

I went to VIR for the first time last nov. and had problems with the blind, over the hill left turn after the esses....

It was high speed and should be flat out in my car (not necessarily yours :rolleyes: )
I had a very limited time on track...but this is how the race went...

I would approach this left turn (not sure the number) and not only get off the gas, but tap the brakes before turn in...
Next lap, I got off the gas and barely brushed the brakes....

Next lap, off the gas, and stayed away from the brakes.
Next lap, I didnt get completely out of the throttle, just backed off halfway...

Get the idea?

This corner kinda scared me because track out wasnt very freindly if you went off, and your really flying!

I only got down to the 2min 30 sec (grand course?), but I know I can carry more speed here, along with a couple of other corners, and can drop about 3 or so seconds....
[/b]

Matt thanks for the info.... I will be trying this the next time we are at the track!

09-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I&#39;m the blue and yellow #17 RX-7. I introduced myself on Sunday morning. I was just coasting during the sprint race Sunday trying to save the car for the 4 hours...would have been better off pushing it, maybe 3rd gear would have gone away in the sprint instead of waiting for the enduro. I&#39;ll see you at Blackhawk on the 17th assuming I get the transmission fixed. I&#39;ll be on it, so we&#39;ll see what that thing can really do! :cavallo: :cavallo:

Steve

jake7140
09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Thoughts on RA:
Just watched the first half of the first vid, maybe the second day was different, but....

- straight from 1 to 3, don&#39;t follow the track edge. go right under the tip of the sign donw into 3
- go straight from 3 to 5, don&#39;t follow the right edge of the track. It comes back to you.
- Turn 7: Stay on the gas, it&#39;s wide out there
- carousel: enter and stay in the middle of the track, on the gas earlier, as soon or sooner than you can see the curbing. tighten in to the apex and slingshot out of the bottom of the carousel.
- try turning in later in the kink. Just hang on a tick longer, and you can see the exit. What tends to happen I think is that the kink is longer than it looks, and you still have more turning to do if you turn in too early, then you freak, then stuff goes wrong (trialing throttle oversteer)

In general, I think as most others have said, stay ON the gas, then get ON the brakes, accellerate earlier, don&#39;t coast. Carry out the edge at corner exit.

Of course I&#39;ve never come in first in class! Good Luck!

redheadracing
09-20-2006, 06:18 PM
I&#39;m the blue and yellow #17 RX-7. I introduced myself on Sunday morning. I was just coasting during the sprint race Sunday trying to save the car for the 4 hours...would have been better off pushing it, maybe 3rd gear would have gone away in the sprint instead of waiting for the enduro. I&#39;ll see you at Blackhawk on the 17th assuming I get the transmission fixed. I&#39;ll be on it, so we&#39;ll see what that thing can really do! :cavallo: :cavallo:

Steve
[/b]

Steve,

I was not able to make the race last week. I was in Denver for business. Are you going to be at the Autobahn? I will be there and I will bring my A game, althought I have not raced there before. I also need to get an MSD in my car, I am having some ignition break up at 8k-9.5k.

09-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I plan on being there. Kind of scary that you spin yours HIGHER than I spin mine...and I have a rotary! Autobahn south is a fun track. You&#39;ll be able to uncork that thing in a few spots, especially the back straight.

I had a pretty bad showing at Blackhawk. Qualified on a dead shock and trashed tires. By the time I got up to 5th, everyone else had checked out. Plus I was at a wedding on Saturday night...3 1/2 hours of sleep but not hung over. I was so far behind the car all day it made it more of an adventure than it should have been.

FWIW, I bought a new coil (factory OEM from Mazda - $170.00 w/o igniters). Bring on that MSD B)