PDA

View Full Version : Passing of a good friend Soren Birch

Tom Blaney
08-24-2006, 04:54 AM
As some of you might know the world has lost Soren Birch a great guy to a short but fierce battle with cancer. Last Thursday was his last day here on earth but he will be remembered by all who met him as quite a character. He somehow learned to maintain a great family life, parenting skills, and a pretty respectable handle on making a VDub go fast around the race track in both SCCA and EMRA Solo events, taking 3 series titles with him.

Both Anthony Serra and I use to try and prod him into ITA club racing, but he knew the effort involved would take away valuable time with his 4 kids and their soccer games, so he crewed for us at a couple of the 12 hour races and kicked around Lime Rock when he could steal some time.

Anthony, Tim Kavala, and I will be working with the club to try and get a memorial race or some other type of event to commerate his 42 years here, and we will try and keep the boys involved in club racing in the future.

I am sure many of you have stories and memories of Soren, and those will be the keepsakes that well laugh about when were too old to work a clutch pedal....

His family has established a memorial fund for the kids educations so your contributions woud be appreciated and will help to keep his legacy alive.

Here is the information.

Thanks;

Tom Blaney

The Soren Birch Fund
c/o Lynn Ammirato
3109 Franklin Street
San Francisco, CA 94123

The Soren Birch Fund
c/o Bob Sochurek
8 Barton Place
Croton, NY 10520