PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in Spec E36

Fastfred92
08-22-2006, 08:36 AM
BMWCCA club racing is in the process of making a rules set for 2007 Spec e36, anybody here looking at this as a option ( maybe if ITR does not make it )

seckerich
08-22-2006, 11:08 AM
BMWCCA club racing is in the process of making a rules set for 2007 Spec e36, anybody here looking at this as a option ( maybe if ITR does not make it )
[/b]
I thought thats what ITS was the last few years?? :P Just kidding--could not resist. :rolleyes:

frazer
08-23-2006, 09:13 AM
[/b]

Fred, I think I saw you over at bimmerforums.com. For those reading this that are interested, go to bimmerforums.com There is a long thread about this. Definitely seems to be a large interest in SpecE36 (myself included). Just need to keep the mods at a resonable level otherwise it will turn into ITS.

-Mike
'94 325is

Fastfred92
08-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Just curiosity if any here were considering SE36, despite what Steve E thinks ITS was not Spec E36, ITR may be for a year or two :P Spec E36 would be a great start for somebody who wants to move up the ladder later..

dj10
08-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Just curiosity if any here were considering SE36, despite what Steve E thinks ITS was not Spec E36, ITR may be for a year or two :P Spec E36 would be a great start for somebody who wants to move up the ladder later.. [/b]

If I wanted to race only BMW's I'd be racing in BMW club. Although if someone else builds one and wants a driver, then I'll drive anything.

frazer
08-24-2006, 07:24 AM
If I wanted to race only BMW's I'd be racing in BMW club. Although if someone else builds one and wants a driver, then I'll drive anything.
[/b]

-I misread the "race only BMW's thing". My bad. I think i'm a little slow today. So the below is just info on Spec E36...

Actually, this is with the BMW Club. I believe The BMWCCA is proposing the Spec E36 class based off the success of the Spec E30 class. One body style, similar/same mods, etc... The racing is close and the E30 guys seems to love it. I know the rules/mods are still being ironed out. People are looking at a spec tire, spec suspension set up and so forth.

Here is the link to the rules: 2007 Proposed Rules Including SpecE36 Info/Rules (http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/static/07ruledraftv094.pdf)

It'll be easier to go there and compare the differences in class and such. I was originally planning on building/running a J Stock E36, but the E36 just doesn't seem to do as well in that class as the E30 M3. By having a Spec class, everyone can run the same set up and such, which puts more of the focus on the driver. You can't argue with the results/turnouts of Spec Miata. So....count me in for Spec E36!!

dj10
08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Actually, this is with the BMW Club. [/b]

Oh, in this case, no I'm not interested.

BMW RACER
08-24-2006, 02:44 PM
I think if you want to capture those who are giving up on SCCA ITS you should copy ITS rules without the restrictor.

I'm building a second ITS car just for enduro's, it has a BMW factory rebuilt motor and stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, other than that it's a carbon copy of my current ITS car. As I read through the Spec E36 rules I thought I could run the enduro car in Spec E36 but I think its going to be overprepared.

So, count out my two cars.

lateapex911
08-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I think if you want to capture those who are giving up on SCCA ITS you should copy ITS rules without the restrictor.

[/b]

Too logical...;)

dj10
08-24-2006, 07:01 PM

I'm building a second ITS car just for enduro's, it has a BMW factory rebuilt motor and stock cast iron exhaust manifolds, other than that it's a carbon copy of my current ITS car. As I read through the Spec E36 rules I thought I could run the enduro car in Spec E36 but I think its going to be overprepared.

So, count out my two cars. [/b]

John, that might be a good enduro car, with the restrictor you might get good fuel mileage. I'm not sure about the cast iron headers. I have a set of shorty headers for sale. ;)

mlytle
08-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Too logical...;)
[/b]
i agree, but..

too expensive...for what they are looking for.

Knestis
08-24-2006, 09:56 PM
...because there's just NO way to build a $30,000 spec e30. :)

K

Z3_GoCar
08-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Only tin-tops, no roadsters, besides my car's over prepped for prepared which is way beyond any spec-class. Maybe I could get them to start a spec-Z3 class :P Which I doubt would happen as there's a real concern about roadster safety, what with requiring wrist restraints even with a hard-top installed, and a general ban on open top cars at the driving events. It's almost a chicken/egg type situation.

Fastfred92
08-30-2006, 08:48 PM
This is turning out to be very interesting, we could see 3 IT classes with e36 325's in the next few years! ITS for the few SIR guys, ITR for the balls to the wall guys and, atleast here in the SE region, if there are enough Spec E36 cars I am sure we would allow them in (regionally if nothing else but to pump car count). The Spec E36 should fall dead in between ITA and ITS........ kinda like the 944 ( non S ) cars :D

powerslide91
09-10-2006, 07:21 PM
There is also DP that might work out for an E36. Good to have options.

Someone should buy my E36 I'm selling in the for sale section!

Jeff

mlytle
09-10-2006, 08:05 PM
This is turning out to be very interesting, we could see 3 IT classes with e36 325's in the next few years! ITS for the few SIR guys, ITR for the balls to the wall guys and, atleast here in the SE region, if there are enough Spec E36 cars I am sure we would allow them in (regionally if nothing else but to pump car count). The Spec E36 should fall dead in between ITA and ITS........ kinda like the 944 ( non S ) cars :D
[/b]

i seriously doubt scca will allow any spec e36 class to run with them. if the se36's want to run in scca, it would have to be in ITE with the vettes and porsche turbo's, maybe. there are allowances in the the se36 rules proposal that would make the se36 illegal in any IT class execpt the regional catch alls ITE/O.

in the mid-atantic region, scca doesn't need to pump car counts...all the marrs events are pretty full already.

dj10
09-11-2006, 11:14 AM
There is also DP that might work out for an E36. Good to have options.
Jeff [/b]

DP is a possible option for national racing but you better bring a large wallet and E36's will be competing against high hp cars.

Fastfred92
09-11-2006, 10:33 PM
i seriously doubt scca will allow any spec e36 class to run with them. if the se36's want to run in scca, it would have to be in ITE with the vettes and porsche turbo's, maybe. there are allowances in the the se36 rules proposal that would make the se36 illegal in any IT class execpt the regional catch alls ITE/O.

in the mid-atantic region, scca doesn't need to pump car counts...all the marrs events are pretty full already.
[/b]

Not sure I can speak for you guys but if I bring 5-10 Spec e36 guys to a SEDIV track to run I would bet good tire money they would welcome them with open entry forms!! Kinda how Spec Miata and TCC got going. Besides here in the SEDIV they would be legal for SPU.

mlytle
09-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Not sure I can speak for you guys but if I bring 5-10 Spec e36 guys to a SEDIV track to run I would bet good tire money they would welcome them with open entry forms!! Kinda how Spec Miata and TCC got going. Besides here in the SEDIV they would be legal for SPU.
[/b]
wouldn't happen in the mid-atlantic area. don't have enough track space for the scca classes, let alone anyone else. the labor day marrs event was the second largest scca event in the country this year. 365 cars in 9 run groups. spu up here requires a fuel cell, so no se36 in that class.

rob22
09-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Why is everyone in an E36, giving up and looking for some other place to race beside ITS. You have an example in Florida with SIR dominating races and setting fastest laps each time out.

mlytle
09-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Why is everyone in an E36, giving up and looking for some other place to race beside ITS. You have an example in Florida with SIR dominating races and setting fastest laps each time out.
[/b]

a/ se36 is not ex-its'ers looking for somewhere else to go. se36 will be a new group of cars looking for a simple, spec class to run with. spec miata in bmw's, run by the bmwcca. most any competitive its car is too modified to be run in se36

b/ good for whomever is supposedly winning with an sir. the rest of us have no interest in paying money to undevelop our cars to go slower. ITR is coming..faster, new bunch of cars, new challenges. why bother with ITS where we weren't wanted? i am psyched for the crb to finalize ITR and get the new season started.

lateapex911
09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
I think it's a very safe bet that ITR is a go...just 5 mare days for the official word..........

mlytle
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
I think it's a very safe bet that ITR is a go...just 5 mare days for the official word..........
[/b]
:happy204:

i hope some new folks come into racing through se36 too. it will be a good class in and of itself for bmwcca, but may also be a good feeder for upgrading to itr.

BMW RACER
09-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Is it a coincedence that "International Talk Like a Pirate day"(http://www.yarr.org.uk/) is Sepember 19th.

Just about the same time that we should find out if IT....AARRRRRR! will happen?

I DON'T THINK SO!

mlytle
09-14-2006, 07:45 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it a coincedence that "International Talk Like a Pirate day"(http://www.yarr.org.uk/) is Sepember 19th.

Just about the same time that we should find out if IT....AARRRRRR! will happen?

I DON'T THINK SO!
[/b]

RSTPerformance
09-19-2006, 09:44 AM
[/b]

Jake,

IT's been 5 days not sure if they can be counted as mare days or not. If they are mare days what's the good word. do we have ITR??

Stephen

lateapex911
09-19-2006, 11:12 AM
OK, so my spelling AND my math wsa bad. I think it's due out tomorrow, the 20th......

(I just checked and nothing new yet)