PDA

View Full Version : Quick engine question

erlrich
08-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Hey guys,

Can you pull the timing chain cover without dropping the oil pan? I was going to replace the chain & guides while I have the head off, but the manual says you have to remove the oil pan. I just had the oil pan off a few months back, but don't remember what the mating surface between the pan and front cover looks like. Considering what a PITA it was to pull the pan I would probably wait until I have the motor out this winter if that is the case.

Thanks,
Earl

timelapseracing
08-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Earl, You can do it without taking the pan off. The front of the pan bolts to the front cover. The trick is making sure it seals again when you put it back together, and that you don't end up with any extra rtv in the motor. That stuff can clog oil passages. Replacing the timing chain guides is definitely a good idea, the first one I pulled out just about crumbled in my hands. You can pull the pan without taking the motor all the way out also - undo the mounts and pull it up till the tranny hits the firewall, you can usually just squeek the pan off - but watch out for the vac. switches on the back of the motor. You can also just support the motor from the top and lower the front subframe...

Watch out taking the head off, the chain likes to fall down to the pan. Once you do that you're taking the pan off anyway. I used a wood wedge to hold the chain from falling, as well as a bungee to just in case.

Jason.