PDA

View Full Version : VR6 no fluke...

Bildon
08-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Don't have time for a long report but here's the skinny...

Sat:
ITS Corrado in Q2 sets track record (1:06.9) on one lap that came out of nowhere... never did do a lap anywhere near that quick again the whole weekend. :blink:

Sat Race: Sun/Rain/Sun/Rain
Finished 3rd. DJ10 here (Dan Jones) should have walked away with it but he had some mechanical problems.

Sun:
Qualified on Pole in a pretty sparse field as we lost too many cars through mechanicals during Quali.
Race: Went flag to flag in an unfortunately uneventful ITS race. I was dicing with a few ITE BMWs (no SIR) and ITA CRX but let them go sinece my crew told me the ITS field was not cacthing us.

ITS VW finally wins after years of development and failure... :smilie_pokal:

http://www.bildon.com/pub/Winner.jpg

Greg Amy
08-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Where were you racing?

Congrats!

lateapex911
08-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Nice job!!! More details...do you run data??

Bill Miller
08-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Where were you racing?

Congrats!
[/b]

Based on the lap time (1:06.xx), I'd guess Beaver Run.

Nice job Bill, way to go!

JeffYoung
08-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Awesome. Glad to see the hard work paid off.

Bildon
08-21-2006, 08:59 AM
>> ...do you run data??

Yes but it wasn't on Sat. Forgot my CF card! :bash_1_:

RSTPerformance
08-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Track record was in Qualifyng, what about the race???

Great job!!! :023: :figo: :smilie_pokal:

Raymond

dj10
08-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Track record was in Qualifyng, what about the race???

Great job!!! :023: :figo: :smilie_pokal:

Raymond [/b]

Bill didn't mentioned he almost took me out when one of his tires failed in a qualifying sesion going into turn #10 on Sat. he did a great job saving it & NOT hitting me! :happy204: To which I'm thankful.

It's nice to run with a good driver, sportsman and competitor. Good job on your win Sunday, Bill. I hope to be back on the track soon.

dj

lateapex911
08-21-2006, 02:19 PM
DJ, I've always gotten the impression Bill is a good sportsman. What happened to you and your car?

matt batson
08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
I know this is slightly off topic here....

But, I am very interested in your statement about the really fast lap on saturday...you mentioned it was way faster then all the other laps..
How much faster? 2 seconds? More?

After that session, where you able to reflect back on the session and remember doing anything different on one of the laps? If it is a significant amount of time difference, I would imagine you did more then one thing differently that lap? That, or you really improved through a very fast portion of the track....Maybe kept the throttle pinned through a really fast sweeper?

Just really curious...as I'm sure a lot of people on here would be.

Always in search of more speed secrets. :035:

Colin@KW_Suspensions
08-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Great job Bill!!!! You have convinced me to go with a VR6!!!!

Bildon
08-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Matt,
Yes normally it would be easy for me to tell you what I was doing. I've been racing VWs for over 15 years and can usually describe well what happens out there. However given that we had no DAS in the car and given that I have yet to see my lap times for that session, I cant tell you whether the fast lap came from the "charging" laps or from the warmup "smooth" laps.

Speed "secrets" :024:

There are no secrets. Car prep aside (critical) I'll say the same thing any good book on driving will. Be SMOOTH!

Historically I do my best times on laps 3-4 right after I've warmed the tires/brakes and right after I've found a clear spot on the track.... and MOST IMPORTANTLY...right BEFORE I try to go FAST. :(

Yes pushing too hard in a FWD car is usually fun but far less fruitful. Having said that my definition of "not pushing hard" my be someone elses OMG! ...afterall we are usually pretty far up the grid.

I'm not trying to brag, I'm trying to say that smoothness and calm driving, while still using 100% of the track, the curbs, the proper drift angles, slip angles, braking early, power early... are calm and smoothly executed early on. No dramas.

(edit: ok here is one speed secret. Proper tire slip angle is about 3-5* more steering input than what feels like maximum grip in the wheel feedback that you get. This slight additional input generates max lateral adhesion with MOST modern race tires) If this has changed over the last 5 years of tire development somebody please correct me!

After those first few laps I then usually try pushing it... deeper into corners, more cornering speed, sometimes more slip angle, popping curbs too much (wheels in air not pulling), etc etc.

When you watch the best FWD drivers on TV (Pobst, Cunningham, Curren, etc) they are not all arms and elbows... After all these years I really feel that if most of us out there that run quickly would "slow down" we'd be faster. I know I am. As an aside.. I beat Randy pobst (barely) YEARS ago at Roebling Road...these guys are not gods... I see many IT drivers that are as good as the Pros. I see far too much "wild driving" in IT. Calm and Smooth is fast...as long as you get the power down early... that's #1 priority.

matt batson
08-22-2006, 11:50 AM
thanks
good read

still trying to master the whole locked diff on a fWD dealeo.

I tend to be pretty smooth, and have reached the point where I need to work on the little things and refine what I've got. With my car I have found that, unlike what I am used to in FWD...I can alter the understeer with the throttle. Still trying to figure out which lines work best for my set up. And still trying to figure out the set-up :wacko:
I built the car myself...and really had no idea what I was doing.

I know my next step is Data acquisition. I am looking at the DL1

zracre
08-22-2006, 11:57 AM
I usually get my fast one on lap 2 or 3...tires and traffic can't sustain a fast lap after that. there is a fine line of fast vs. over driving that your fast lap on fresh tires would be over driving on hotter tires longer into the session. I also like to save the car for the race. the only time I usually do a complete qualifying session is if it is a new track I'm trying to learn.

Bildon
08-23-2006, 08:55 AM
>> still trying to master the whole locked diff on a fWD dealeo.

I by locked you mean "welded or spool" then you really can't be as smooth as you should. To drive a locked diff you have to be aggressive and slide more and toss more. Until the clucth diffs became available again your only options were open, torsen or locked. Open = slow, Torsen = better, Locked = fast but very hard on axles and hard to drive well.

Now there has been strong debate here before about locked diffs in FWD. And yes I know Albin has won many races with a locker but I bet if even he tried the clutch type LSD we have he'd love it. After all, under heavy power application it does lock in all but the most extreme cases where it will allow "limited slip" which is what you want when you are turned very tight etc.

The LSD diff wil put more power to the road due to its ability to still be "open" under light or lower load throttle applications. Go look at what Hewland and XTrac put in their FWD touring car gearboxes.

matt batson
08-23-2006, 11:56 AM
>> still trying to master the whole locked diff on a fWD dealeo.

I by locked you mean "welded or spool" then you really can't be as smooth as you should. To drive a locked diff you have to be aggressive and slide more and toss more. Until the clucth diffs became available again your only options were open, torsen or locked. Open = slow, Torsen = better, Locked = fast but very hard on axles and hard to drive well.

Now there has been strong debate here before about locked diffs in FWD. And yes I know Albin has won many races with a locker but I bet if even he tried the clutch type LSD we have he'd love it. After all, under heavy power application it does lock in all but the most extreme cases where it will allow "limited slip" which is what you want when you are turned very tight etc.

The LSD diff wil put more power to the road due to its ability to still be "open" under light or lower load throttle applications. Go look at what Hewland and XTrac put in their FWD touring car gearboxes.
[/b]

Ah, I feel so much better now!
When I switched to the welded diff. I immediately found that the car was "fast" but was also very difficult to drive "right on the edge" while still being "smooth".
I have always been a smooth type driver, even in autocross...never much excessive sliding...and always nice to the tires.

But with the welded, your exactly right...I cannot "feather" the steering and gas like I am used to. And I seem to be abusing the front tires unnecessarily all the time. It is more of a "pitch it in and floor it" kind of driving style...

The only reputable lsd I have found for this car (Suz. swift GTI) is the "grabber" made in england, which I think is a clutch type. I have also spoke with ekerich (sp?), who builds the diffs for OPM? He said he could do it...
But, I have heard so many bad things about the clutch type lsd's (I originally had a phantom slip in the car, and would get wheelspin in fourth gear corners!!!! With 83 wheel hp!!!1)

Quaife doesnt make one for my car.

Bildon
08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
>> The only reputable lsd I have found for this car (Suz. swift GTI) is the "grabber" made in england,

It's "Gripper" and good luck getting one. Tom makes them in his backyard shop and we tried for ayer to work with him but he can not deliver. Yes htey are a copy of the Gemini clutch type.

>> I have heard so many bad things about the clutch type lsd's (I originally had a phantom slip in the car, and would get wheelspin in fourth gear corners!!!! With 83 wheel hp!!!1)

Whoa! :018: A clutch or plate or Salisbury diff (call it what you want) has absolutely nothing to do with a Phantom. The Phantom is a POS.

Clutch type diffs are used in all forms of Motorsport and are almost the only diff you find in a Touring car.
The best diff manufacturers, Hewland, XTrac, Drexler, Gemini/Ricardo, Kaaz, ZF, etc etc all sell this type.

Here is some info we have on the various types:
http://www.bildon.com/catalog/about/diffs.cfm

What other cars share your differential?
We can get you a Drexler for the Suzuki as they made them for the factory rally cars.
Email me at sales @ bildon com for info.

OTLimit
08-24-2006, 03:03 PM
And yes I know Albin has won many races with a locker but I bet if even he tried the clutch type LSD we have he'd love it. After all, under heavy power application it does lock in all but the most extreme cases where it will allow "limited slip" which is what you want when you are turned very tight etc.
[/b]

The difference is that welded only costs me some welding materials and Chris' time to do it. Your toy would cost me real $$. With running a full schedule with two cars, there has to be more incentive then your bet.

Sorry.

Bildon
09-19-2006, 12:43 PM
>>> There are no secrets. Car prep aside (critical)

OK well that previous comment was prophetic :(
For those intererested in the progress of our VR6 ITS Corrado here is a little update.
Car = good, Crew = bad.

We replaced all the axle shafts, diff seals and tie rods on the car after the WGI crash. BeaveRun resulted in a win. So of course we became complacent and left everything untouched for this past weekend's Glen race. I KNEW we should tear the gearbox down and go through it. I KNEW we should replace the steering rack. But due to the time constraints of running 2 businesses it was left alone assuming that the BR race was a good omen for the future. Wrong! :bash_1_:

2 laps from the end of the race the transmission packed it up and we lost all drive. Have not torn the box down but the 78mph impact with the Armco from 2 months ago broke BOTH axles... so how do you think the force from the wall got transferred to the other axle? Yup...through the gearbox. :bash_1_: :bash_1_: :bash_1_:

The silver lining is that this will force us to go through the whole car now that we have to. It will be properly repaired and prepped for the final NYSRRC race of the year which will also be the test event for the ARRC which we are planning to attend for the first time in years.

Tristan Smith
09-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Geez, Bill, I may have to pop over and say hello if you are actually coming to the ARRC!

Corradoracer
11-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Bill,

Good luck

Gary Semerdjian
www.247-parts.com

#98 VW Corrado ITS

Bildon
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks Gary and yes I do still plan to send you the Golf 5 bits to look at. Just been so busy with other projects.

re: the ARRC,
Qualified mid pack due to REALLY forgetting how to drive Rd. Atl. but by the time the race rolled around I was getting my legs back and pulled the 'C' up to 3rd place for quite a while until the brake pedal started to go soft and the 2-3 upshifts started to get hard to make. (really killed me coming off T7 and T10 a few times) Finally had to relinquish 3rd place to the 2 RX7s chasing me and wound up 5th. There are a few things I'd change in the setup for this track....and if I could do it again next week I think the VR6 is a definite podium contender.

Photos, videos and a weekend write up will follow...

Bildon
11-15-2006, 02:38 PM
OK here is a long video complete with excuses as to why we didn't put it on the podium! :rolleyes:
It's 38 MB !! Please copy it locally if you plan to watch it more than once.

edit: updated link:
http://ww2.bildon.com/ARRC_2006_ITS_Race.wmv

RSTPerformance
11-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Great video!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Some of those vet drivers need to bump it down a notch, and drive something with a little less HP that they can handle... although with that said I also would not say that the "Vets" determined the outcome of this race.

I don't understand this one??? Care to share more detail?

"Bildon Motorsports files a protes after the race due to the passes under yellow. A post race discussion with the stewards including video analysis revealed that all cars involved shared some fault. Bildon Motorsports withdrew the protest."

Raymond

dspillrat
11-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks Bill for the video...
I wondered why the VW didn't make the podium.
Your car looked great, and has great power. I was shocked at the ease you pulled me while drafting, course that is the way it should be!! Hope you can figure out your brakes or lack of brakes situation...Need more air flow?

Gave me a chance to see that red vette that took me out was racing someone in his class.....battling one of his buddies to keep from getting lapped!!! :wacko:

Congrats on the great run,
David Spillman

Bildon
11-15-2006, 03:58 PM
>> all cars involved shared some fault.

Well even though the slower RX7 was moving over and we all thought we got a "wave by" you CANT pass a wounded car on a local yellow. We've all done it. But technically only during a full course yellow is this allowed.
From my point of view, I was trying to avoid debris and was not TRYING to pass the slow RX7..he basically parked it to my left...So when I saw Kent go past on the outside (he was in front before the video shows it) I felt that he took advantage of this situation. In retrospect we all broke the law :unsure: although it really was impossible not to pass the wounded RX7 so I'm not bitter. Shiz Happens! B)

>> Need more air flow?

The VR6 car (Golf, Jetta, Corrado) rotors are vented on the OUTSIDE of the rotor. :mad1: Ducting air to the inside doesn't do much. However, I believe the problem really lies with the disabling of the ABS. When you shut off ABS in these early Bosch systems you also kill the high pressure pump, either this is required for consistent line pressure or air is entering the system through a no longer active valve or pump etc... needs more testing. But testing this is hard as it requires a LONG straight with lots of repetitions to reveal the problem. T10a was the hardest braking zone we had seen all year.

>> and has great power.

Thanks we worked very hard on the custom ECU mapping. Unfortunately even though we are running off fixed maps my wiz kid forgot one thing that started throwing a fault over the last few events that caused it to go rich after a few laps. You can see the AFR meter dip to 11.x at times! We only caught the problem recently when another hacked Motronic racer discovered a similar problem with his. This WILL be fixed soon.

benspeed
11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Bill - you win the production Oscar for the event! Way to go on the video. Nice drive and you should be proud of a top five!

Cheers,

Ben :023: