PDA

View Full Version : anyone with a 2007 diesel?

tom91ita
08-19-2006, 11:20 PM
lately every diesel pump i frequent has a sticker attached saying that it is illegal and harmful to use the fuel in 2007 and later diesel vehicles and gives some numbers regarding the ppm levels of sulphur.

so are there other pumps out there or are they out of luck? note that this is based on a relatively unscientific sampling of the dozen or so stations that i have been at in the last couple of months.

MMiskoe
08-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't know where you are, but I'm in central NH and see the same stickers. But since I don't have a 2007 I don't worry about it.

Now I do know from some internet surfing that 2007 cars (don't know about trucks) are required to meet some more stringent rules. As a result, the VW TDI will not cut it at the debut of the 2007 model line, the article noted that they were struggling to get as many 2006 cars to the US prior to the cut off, but knew they would not have the inventory they would like to have. The article was talking more about the VW problems than it was about the new emissions requirements.

I'm curious too.

Jeremy Billiel
08-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I am supprised by this. All the pumps I have been to with my 06 diesel have already converted to the new ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel), which is the new standard for 2007 diesels and up. This diesel fuel is ok with older models, however I have been told that it does not lubricate as well. Some have been using additives to suppliment the reduction in lubricity.

tom91ita
08-21-2006, 11:09 AM
i am located in michigan. there are two stations across the street from each other that i drive by and one is always $0.10 higher than the other although the gas prices always match. i'll have to stop in and see if the higher price is "stickerless"

what additives are people using to make the difference with the older vehicles?

i'll have to call the local diesel mechanics and pick up what they have and then look for a less expensive alternate/substitute.

DavidM
08-21-2006, 12:13 PM
I use the Stanadyne additive. I haven't been using it every tank, just every so often. I may change to every tank. There's some other similar products out there.

David

tom91ita
11-22-2006, 04:00 PM
just an update. i was at the ford dealer waiting on an oil change for the truck (too lazy to get something for all that oil and have to properly dispose, etc.)

wandered in the showroom and saw a 2007 truck with the 6.0 liter diesel. i asked the salesman about where to buy the fuel for this truck since all the pumps say it can't be used in 2007 and newer.

they said they have not got any of the new engines yet and the 2007's on the floor all have the "old" engine.

they also said the true low sulplhur engines will be a $3000 to $5000 adder ABOVE the current diesel pricing. now that was also couched with the usual 'good time to buy now" sunshine that probably gave me a nice tan.

i did read in one magazine that the new fuel will work in old trucks but many are still suggesting added lubricity additives. i think the jury is still out since no one appears to be actually runnnig the new trucks and new fuel.

has anyone bought a truely ultra low sulphur truck yet?

tdw6974
11-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Tom The Ultra Low Sulphur has shown up at one local station here( 2.69 per gal) Have looked at several related sites and looks like everyting should be ULSF now as it was required but allowance made for gettting through distribution lines tanks etc. T W

tom_sprecher
11-23-2006, 09:53 AM
We have had the low sulfur fuel for some time now and the higher price associated with it. Damn diesel is still at least $.25 above high test and $.45 above regular around here.

NutDriverRighty
11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Tom,
In my reading about the "new diesel", the stuff was supposed to be out nationwide on October 15th of this year. EVERYONE should have it now. However, I have a 1995 F350 with the turbo diesel and, in my reading, there is some cursory evidence that the LSD or ULSD fuels will harm the older engines. Anyone out there have any knowledge of this? Thanks.

Scott "Righty" Franklin
www.NutDriver.org

:wacko: