PDA

View Full Version : Enduro @ MSRH

charrbq
08-18-2006, 01:14 PM
I only recently found out that the regional/6hr enduro normally held at Texas World Speedway was being moved to Motor Sports Ranch, south of Houston. The reason given was that TWS had priced themselves out of the market.

I don't pretend to know the P/L statement of Houston region (the hosts or the event). But did anyone factor in the safety of the facilities? I've raced on MSRH and I thought it was a first class course with the makings of a great facility. BUT...their are some suspect areas that could prove hazardous to participants.

Normally, this event sees 40 to 60 entrants...many new to the vehicle they are racing. The front straight is okay for a small group, but, in the event of a large turnout, the green flag could be dropped on the front of the field while the back several rows are still in the final two turns, but well within sight of the flag stand. That could lead to a mess.
But the real hazard would be in the pits. They are extremely narrow with an even narrower entrance. As it is, we frequently share pits at TWS and that pit area is huge. There were several near misses during the two days I was on track, and that was with only cars and one or two people in the fast pit area. If you add to that driver changes (which would be on the traffic side), refueling, tire changes, super crowded conditions, etc. and I will guarantee someone will get hurt...badly.
Add to that a full course yellow or a black flag all. The pits, the pit entrance, and the final two turns on the track will fill up with cars. It will look like afternoon rush hour at a toll booth on the beltway...on a Friday.

I hope that the safety stewards involved will take a good look at the logistics of the event. As much as I enjoy it and look forward to it every year, I'd rather see it cancelled than to take that big of a gamble for someone to get hurt...or worse.

CCARVER
08-18-2006, 02:57 PM
I take it you are feeling better?
I look forward to the event also, but would rather not have anyone hurt to have it.
I guess we will see what turns up.
Carver

charrbq
08-18-2006, 03:25 PM
A lot better, but I've got a long way to go. I still intend to run the enduro. I just fear that MSRH is too small to handle the crowd. Last year saw 60 cars. Over 40 of them were SRF's and SM's. However, I really do like the course.

AntonioGG
08-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Chris, it's my understanding that they will deal with the narrowness of the hotpits. I don't know how but I'll get a report after this weekend's race.

Second, Lone Star Region is still holding races at TWS...we don't think MSRH is much cheaper unless you get a discount. ;-) There is talk of an enduro at TWS earlier in the year...we'll see.

I've never raced at MSRH but I hear it's a fun track (kind of DEish club track but still fun). I'm planning on racing the enduro there but I'm sad I won't get to do the TWS 2.9 track this year, with my nemesis turns 6 and turns 8-9 which I struggle to get right.

charrbq
08-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I've got no issues with having races at TWS or MSRH. It's good to have the variety and competition between the tracks. SOWDIV, unlike most other divisions, is race track poor. My concern is mainly the pit area. I'm sure that it's being considered as it was a major concern of the stewards at the first race.

The track has got sort of a DE feel to it as they through a bunch of stuff at you. The idea behind it was for rich fools with big buck cars to have a safe place to play and learn how to drive their expensive toys. I applaud the effort there and am glad they give us an option to play, too.

I enjoyed the course and found it to be somewhat challenging, because they though so much stuff at you. It sort of has a wicked lack of flow that's hard to learn.

It will be a major challenge to hold a 60 car race on it, though. Minimum prediction of a bunch of full course yellows and black flag all periods.

I'm sad I won't get to do the TWS 2.9 track this year, with my nemesis turns 6 and turns 8-9 which I struggle to get right.
[/quote]
Six is getting better for me. Seven is easy, but scares the hell out of me...every lap. And 8-9 are a combination I just can't get right. I can't see the line or the apex until I've screwed 8 and have to screw 9 in order to save myself. I did have some plans for improvement this year. Well, maybe another time.

AntonioGG
08-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Good reason to be scared of 7...check this out:

http://nitrodyno.com/videos/TWS2p9_turn7off.wmv

I backed off rather than try to pass those guys in 7, that threw off my timing and also the draft meant I was going pretty fast. One of those small drifts at the apex and a quick decision to point it out the track rather than go sideways out. I hit the dirt at 100mph.

charrbq
08-20-2006, 02:22 PM
I heard the Saturday race at MSRH for the SM was a wild affair. Passing all over the course under a double yellow flag that had been out for over two laps. Lots of rain that lead to cars crashing into the wall at the pit entrance. There's no question that the course is rougher on brake pads and tires than TWS. That's okay, it's an enduro and you should come prepared for that. I'm just a little bit more than worried about me or my crew fueling the car, changing drivers, brake pads, or tires exposed to the passing traffic in that little bitty, narrow pit lane.
The track has its own challenges. Stupid, inexperienced drivers experiencing the red mist is only one of them.

As for your off in 7 and 8 at TWS...been there. Got shoved off by a train of SM's that drafted by me into 7. I didn't spin, but I went off where I don't want to ever go again. There's some bad stuff out there...like cactus!