PDA

View Full Version : new rotors

rsx858
08-18-2006, 07:56 AM
hi all, im looking to buy a new set of rotors for my 2nd gen rx7. could someone shed some light on my different choices. whats the difference between rotors from mazdaspeed and the brembos that i hear people use? any suggested retailors?

Thanks a lot!

tom_sprecher
08-18-2006, 08:33 AM
When I bought my 1st gen it came with spare rotors for all four corners from Frozen Rotors (http://www.frozenrotors.com/). Unfortunately for both of us I do not have enough history using them to give an opinion at this time.

C. Ludwig
08-18-2006, 01:24 PM
hi all, im looking to buy a new set of rotors for my 2nd gen rx7. could someone shed some light on my different choices. whats the difference between rotors from mazdaspeed and the brembos that i hear people use? any suggested retailors?

Thanks a lot!
[/b]

I've used both. Neither cracked or did anything stupid. The Brembos are cheaper. The world is so full of counterfeit stuff right now it's hard to ensure you're getting name brand without buying from a very reputable source. Tirerack has the Brembos at a decent price. Is where I got mine.

08-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I believe Brembo makes OE rotors. Mazdaspeed sells OE rotors from any one of several suppliers. The thing that surprised me was the cost. I found out that the local Parts Hut has OE Brembo rotors for the lowest cost I've found. I think it was about $20 a piece less than TireRack. Mazdaspeed was on the high side for price.

I was surprised I could get brand new Brembo rotors, and pick them up a few miles from my house (no shipping cost) as long as I gave them time to get them from the central warehouse. In my case it took until 2:00 that same afternoon. Go figure.

Steve

ddewhurst
08-20-2006, 05:56 AM
***The world is so full of counterfeit stuff right now it's hard to ensure you're getting name brand***

Steve, Brembo rotors come made by Brembo & Brembo rotors come made by people other than Brembo. The counterfit stuff comes in a box EXACT to that of Brembo. Ask me how I know? I went through buying some Brembos made by someone other than Brembo, talked to a guy from Brembo headquaters & received the full story about the counterfeiters.

My key to the fact that the rotors were not Brembo is that the rotors I received had vane vents & Bremdo has Pillar vents for a 1st gen RX-7.

mustanghammer
08-22-2006, 12:53 AM
For what it is worth - I have a first gen so your deal may be different - I have used Mazda OE, Brembo and parts store rotors. For the money the cheap parts store rotors make most sense if you are changing rotors often. I am finding that I change rotors and bearings everytime I change pads or at least once a year. So I buy parts store rotors.

I have had no failures, warping and or cracks from any of the rotors I have used. The Duralast (Autozone) lifetime rotors ($35 each for the small spindle $65 for the big spindle) look good at the end of their life cycle. They are still fairly flat and have no grooves. The same was true of the Brembos and I kept them for spares. The Mazda OE rotors didn't perform that well - they looked bad after only one set of pads and didn't even make into my spares collection. Of note, the Mazda rotors were used in my rookie season. I used the brakes more back then than I do now.

I am in the process of switching from small to big spindles and for this round I am using one Duralast and one Wagner rotor. I didin't intend to do this but I bought one rotor (Duralast) several months before the other and forgot this when I purchased the second rotor (Wagner). Anyway, I bought the Wagner from O'Rielly's and is a dead ringer for an OE rotor. It will be interesting to see which one works better.

I use Hawk Blues front and rear.