PDA

View Full Version : Regional/Enduro at GingerMan August 26-27 is cancelled

Racerlinn
08-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Race Enthusiasts,

It’s been a fun and busy summer, but because of the driver schedules, race priorities and economics every region has been experiencing this year, Fort Wayne Region has, unfortunately, learned that one more race at GingerMan Raceway isn’t drawing entries.

Because every driver wants challenging competition and every volunteer worker wants a full race course, Fort Wayne Region is cancelling this low-participation event, previously scheduled for August 26-27, 2006.

We tried hard we talked to drivers and crew, we mailed out 2,200 entries 8 weeks before the event, and we tried a new combination event format to stimulate interest. Even so, just 10 days before the race, we have only 7 entries. The registrar will contact these 7 drivers immediately and full refunds will be issued.

Please help us spread the word that the Regional/Enduro at GingerMan Raceway scheduled for August 26-27 is cancelled due to these uncontrollable circumstances.

Fort Wayne Region members will, of course, continue to support the other upcoming events on the Cen-Div/Great Lakes Division schedule!

See you at the next race.

John Veltum and George Russell, Race Co-Chairs
and the dedicated members of Fort Wayne Region

Eagle7
08-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Two issues kept me away. Too close to the Grattan regional. I'm not up to back-to-back weekends.
I don't do enduros, so it would be a single race weekend

downingracing
08-17-2006, 11:35 AM
That is really too bad. I know I'm concerned for our Regional at Mid-Ohio 9/9 and 9/10... Our National (the ONLY national at Mid-Ohio this year!!!) was down about 33% (100+ cars)! Hopefully that was just due to the runoffs move and the regional won't have that large of a hit. I know the other regionals @ MO have been down - I wonder what the 'real' cause is? Any ideas? Anyway, glad you could cancel the event and hopefully get your deposit back! Racing as we know it looks to be changing...

Racerlinn
08-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Matt, I don't recall the specific number but I believe the Freedom Regional weekend was down about 25%.
I'm sorry to say but I think the fall events at M-O are going to take a similar beat-down.
Less Runoffs-practice entries and we all know about gas prices.
And with M-O big dollar rental fee, that's a big ouch for the Regions.

I agree with Marty, I think Ft. Wayne's downfall was probably the case of only a single regional. I would think a double regional with an additional enduro would be more attractive. This is why we are trying out specialty races this year on the double-regional weekends at IRP. Something different, fun, more track time for very little extra expense. The SM race we did in the sprine and the Headless Horseman Handicap race this fall are only $20 for entry.

Eagle7
08-17-2006, 08:54 PM
I forget the exact numbers, but the National at Grattan last weekend had about 23 cars registered a week before the event. They ended up with 137.

R2 Racing
08-17-2006, 10:57 PM
For me, Gingerman is just too far away for I track that I think is "Ehhhh...". So when I'm looking for events to not do or weekends to free up, the Gingerman ones are typically the first to go. I don't think I've been there since 2002.

downingracing
08-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Steve,

Are you coming to the OVR race @ Mid Ohio? I'd like to bounce some ideas off you for the future of club racing... Nothing too crazy, just looking to hammer out some 'kinda' new ideas. :cavallo:

Matt

Racerlinn
08-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Steve,

Are you coming to the OVR race @ Mid Ohio? I'd like to bounce some ideas off you for the future of club racing... Nothing too crazy, just looking to hammer out some 'kinda' new ideas. :cavallo:

Matt
[/b]

Wish I was, but the 2006 budget only has me running IRP and the NASA race at Putnam Park (of course they end being two weekends in a row after a 2 month break).
Contact me off-line at racerlinn -at- sbcglobal -dot- net

downingracing
08-18-2006, 11:33 AM
...the NASA race at Putnam Park...
[/b]

I can't talk you into skipping that one and coming to Mid-Ohio? Come on - you know you want another shot to give me a :018: . I'll send you an email this weekend. (Hopefully you reconsider the schedule - it would be great to see you at MO one more time!!) :birra:

Matt

prodogdriver
08-18-2006, 03:50 PM
This race at Gingerman had several things working against it IMHO

* same weekend as a race at RA across the lake

* too close the the annual Grattan 'Labor Day weekend' race

* I don't think Gingerman ranks very high on 'tracks I like to drive' for most guys.

ddewhurst
08-19-2006, 12:03 PM
From across the pond. :024:

During year 2004 & 2005 I was converting my car from Spec-7 to ITA/7 & didn't do much traveling. The last 12 months I have been procrastinating betweem building a new 1st gen ITA car or a Spec Miata. Both are stripped & ready for a cage. The 1st gen is going to get a cage just because.

Maybe instead of mailing out 2,200 entries & doing guess work on why people don't show several Regions should share the cost sending out questionars asking WHY people are not racing. Factual data is neat stuff, especially to we engineers. I read something interesting on the Prod site about there being only 12 Runoffs entries (IIRC) from the NE. Hmmm, location, cost of gas, maybe some peoples gimmie is gone, who knows without FACTS?

My desire at a race track is two 15 minute qualifying sessions for each race including during a double weekend & a race of the normal length at each respective track. I have zero desire to use up my race car doing enduros. I am not interested in a Saturday evening meal or partys. (I enjoy the hell out of beer but do not drink beer pre a race weekend or during a race weekend.)

On your side of the pond I have raced IRP, Mid Ohio, Grattan & Gingerman. My priority list that I would return to would be, Gingerman, Mid Ohio, Grattan & then IRP. Please note that IRP is the nearest track to me & the last track on my list.

Have Fun ;)
David