PDA

View Full Version : Is the class ready to go topless?

gran racing
08-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I realize I'm a bit late in the game with this, but I'd really like to see the convertable cars in this class run without hard roofs. I think it would look really cool to see these cars racing with the tops down, make things a bit easier since for some of the cars getting a hard top can be pretty expensive, and just be something a bit different. Yeah, I know it's out of IT philosophy, but so what?

Greg Amy
08-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Miatas can already do that...but they're slower that way. - GA

JeffYoung
08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Greg is correct. And, per Jeremy at the SCCA (not sure if this is fully supported by the GCR), any convertible can run a factory hardtop, or not.

I will tell you the aero penalty is huge.

Z3_GoCar
08-15-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm not planning on having a top for at least one season, maybe more. That's what all the extra hp should buy you. Can we possible get a weight break for running with out a top?? Even with a top, the aero is much poorer.

JeffYoung
08-15-2006, 05:58 PM
I think the weight break is already factored in, at least it is with my existing car (covert is 50 lbs less than coupe).

Aero is bad on converts even with hardtop. One of the negatives of choosing one of those cars to run, unfortunately.

gran racing
08-15-2006, 08:54 PM
I understand they're slower that way, but the hope would be the car would be classed with that in mind. Like others said, a weight break.

Doc Bro
08-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I thought the GCR mandated a firesuit....you guys are nuts (kinky maybe) running topless!! :D

R