PDA

View Full Version : IT-S Mustang

|_01_|
08-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Is anyone running a 94-98 LX in IT-S.

I am assuming its too heavy and/or not enough power?

Just wondering cause iv'e always liked those cars.

Ron Earp
08-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Do you mean V6? V8 is not classed.

I didn't know the LX designation even stayed around on those days. 94 was the first year of the SN95, or Fox4 bodies. The 5L V8 was in two years, 94/95, and then the 4.6 SOHC motor replaced it for 96/97/98 and kept going. The V6 in those years was fairly crummy, especially when compared to the other 6s in ITS.

Ron

|_01_|
08-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Sorry yeah the V-6. I thought that was strange too!

The ITCS says 94-98 LX V-6.

But yeah I figured those V-6s would struggle. I have always liked that body style, and thought it might be a chance to race one!

But assume the IT-B Mustang would be a much better choice.

Darren
09-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Competing w/the SN95 Mustang would be an uphill battle in ITS for sure. Even tho SCCA dropped the weight to 2,850 lbs (w/driver), it's going to be darn near impossible to get there. Getting under 3,000 lbs (w/200 lb driver) will be easy. However, after that most weight loss will be offset by the roll cage installation. Tho the V6 can easily pull 6,000 RPM, you are well off the cam at that point. The 215+ lbs of torque is nice, but will be offset by the weight of the car. The basic chassis is good & a full Steeda race suspension should keep everything pretty stable in the turns. Just keep in mind that w/out a coilover suspension, you will get nowhere near the 5" minimum ground clearance that the IT rules allow (if you can get to 7" consider yourself real lucky). Even w/the 250 lb weight loss, the brakes are still marginal. The trick might be in getting brake pads that will give you fade-free braking but won't trash a set of rotors every race weekend. Efficient front brake cooling ducts are a must. FWIW, one very small bright spot is that the '94/'98 Mustang is the most aerodynamic Mustang ever produced.