PDA

View Full Version : vintage Road Atlanta vid!!

zracre
08-12-2006, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1Oide2aXA

I really miss gravity cavity!!

Greg Amy
08-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Heh. Look at the "from" in the "About This Video" area... - GA

gprodracer
08-12-2006, 08:39 PM
That was from back when "men were men", and Road Atlanta scared the S*#T out of me, but I couldn't wait to go back there, every chance I got.
"gravity cavity" made my ears pop going down, and turn 11 aiming at the dirt bank/"apex" while having no clue if there was a car/wreck on the other side was one of the best adrenaline rushes I've ever had.
Great video Greg!

Mark

Greg Amy
08-12-2006, 10:02 PM
That was from the 1991 Runoffs, back when I was running Showroom Stock A...I still have all the old in-car VHS tapes plus the raw production video from the team that was recording it from trackside...I bet I even have some of that digitized, too...ah, the old days... - GA

zracre
08-12-2006, 10:06 PM
duh shoulda known! figured if it wasn't you you would know! I see you were practicing your line thru 5 before it was paved!! great vid!

Fastfred92
08-13-2006, 08:38 AM
I see you were practicing your line thru 5 before it was paved!! [/b]

Its funny, I ran both before and after they added pavement and it still does not seem to be enough :(

zracre
08-13-2006, 09:31 AM
it is still one of my favorite corners...you can make up lots of ground there and surprise people...one of those corners you really need to look at from outside a car.

Jake
08-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Great video - back in a time that MR2's still roamed the earth. I swear I saw my car there!

BTW - on the subject of Greg's vids, this one is AMAZING!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_pgUUhIjAw
This is why we are into this racing thing. Maybe I'll blow off qualifying next race! :)

gprodracer
08-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Like Moses parting the Red Sea. I have a similar style, (tho not as good as Greg, I'm sure) if there is no room to pass them, push them on thru until you've passed the blockage, then hang them out to dry like todays fresh laundry!!
By watching several cars lines (the miatas especially) reminds me of an old driving instructers words.
"I could tie my cat to the apex with a 5 foot leash, and feel perfectly safe about him the way you guys are driving!" :eclipsee_steering:
Now thats funny, I don't care who you are! :lol:
Mark

RickyBobby
08-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Best racing video of all time.

http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/video/Assen-bmwSTW.wmv

Probably a junk yard motor too...

Shake and bake baby.......

Ricky

Bill Miller
08-13-2006, 08:09 PM
That was from back when "men were men", and Road Atlanta scared the S*#T out of me, but I couldn't wait to go back there, every chance I got.
"gravity cavity" made my ears pop going down, and turn 11 aiming at the dirt bank/"apex" while having no clue if there was a car/wreck on the other side was one of the best adrenaline rushes I've ever had.
Great video Greg!

Mark
[/b]

Bridgehampton was pretty much the same way. Wicked fast track, but a couple of really scary corners, if you were trying to squeeze out some more speed. I still remember the first time I went down the hill w/ my foot flat on the floor. Actually took my left foot and put it on top of my right foot so that I wouldn't lift!! :119: That, and going through Turn 9 w/ the car sideways at probably 85 - 90 mph.

BTW, nice videos :023:

Tristan Smith
08-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I still remember vividly the scare I gave myself when I slid my ITB 200sx sideways halfway down the hill at turn 11. I just knew I was going to role the car (an occurence that took place there a lot in the old days). Thanksfully, all I did was pull the tires off the right side rims. Oh, and soiled some perfectly good underwear.

While "the dip" was always exhilerating, I don't miss it. I saw to many cars destroyed because of it.

DavidM
08-14-2006, 12:19 PM
I never drove the old Road Atlanta, but I saw lots of races on it. The guys on bikes were the scariest (and still are - think of dragging a knee through 12). There were some pretty serious bike wrecks with some serious injuries and even a death I think. I bet they changed the track as much for the bikes as anything.

David

joeg
08-14-2006, 01:33 PM
[quote]
Best racing video of all time.

http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/video/Assen-bmwSTW.wmv

Probably a junk yard motor too...

Shake and bake baby.......

Ricky

Ricky--That video is fun but absolutely silly. Did they have a Formula 1 Turbo motor in that car or was everyone else on the track told to drive at 5/10ths and let the dude coming up from behind pass?

Thanks for sharing it with us, however.

Cheers.

zracre
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
that car probably had the largest displacement bank account and had to start from the rear :D

tom_sprecher
08-14-2006, 02:46 PM
What is that shrill sound that increases in freq with speed? It hurt my ears. Must be a post trans input shaft element (output shaft, prop shaft, diff, axles, etc.)

Tristan Smith
08-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I thought it was the straight cut gears in the sequential gear box.

tom_sprecher
08-14-2006, 04:51 PM
I guess I should have added gears to the list but I didn't know.

Greg Amy
08-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Yup, straight-cut gears in the final drive. Notice the pitch changes with speed, not engine revs.

I uploaded the full in-car video from the '91 Runoffs to You Tube. Interesting to see how much has changed in 15 years...
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=GregAmy

lateapex911
08-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow...just watched the 2005 ARRC video from Greg...jeeez...now I see what Bettencourt is talking about when he says you herd that car down the track! Looks like a dart thrown backwards! And, you gotta give Matt a ton of credit too...I know you guys fab everything...it holds up to some stout abuse!

zracre
08-15-2006, 09:02 AM
thanks for sharing! I enjoyed the old course...1996 rolled the GTI there 5 times. What year did the runoffs end?

Z3_GoCar
08-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Great video - back in a time that MR2's still roamed the earth. I swear I saw my car there!

BTW - on the subject of Greg's vids, this one is AMAZING!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_pgUUhIjAw
This is why we are into this racing thing. Maybe I'll blow off qualifying next race! :)
[/b]

I just watched that again, looks like a trip down the Ventura Freeway to me :P
The way some people drive on that freeway, you'd think they're driving for the best race that they'd ever ran. What's really eye opening is when they manuver like that in a Monster SUV. An Escape was pushing my friend in his Z8 around, so my friend let the Escape go.... Five miles down the road the Escape was on the road side, with a CHiP parked behind B) Nice to have radar :lol:

Mark H
08-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Having never raced the old track that was an eye opening video! :happy204:
Even the "hill" on the back straight??!! Did you even lift going down into the dip or just drag the brake hoping to scrub off enough to not hit the bridge? :bash_1_:

+ I liked the "80's only" music timed nicely to the racing...good job mate!
Looked like RA was just a wide open, hold on, speed monster back then!?

zracre
08-21-2006, 06:44 PM
I remember going down the hill flat in top gear and keeping it there really late and turning in pointed at the bridge...aim for the wall, fly over hill and just hope you are on line not wide and no one there!

Greg Amy
08-21-2006, 06:59 PM
I remember going down the hill flat in top gear and keeping it there really late and turning in pointed at the bridge...aim for the wall, fly over hill and just hope you are on line not wide and no one there!
[/b]

Pretty much about it. Whereas today you're accelerating up to and through the bridge, back then you were braking into the apex of the bridge, with the apex basically being a berm/curb at the base of the right-hand bridge abutment...

Exciting stuff.

When I returned to RA for the first time in 2003, I did so with extreme trepidation. I REALLY, really enjoyed that track back then (it was my favorite one in the country), and I was expecting the worst when I learned of the changes. In hindsight, that trepidation was misplaced. Yeah, the exciting roller-coaster is gone, but I'm older and less immortal now; I don't mind it one bit... - GA

Chris Wire
08-21-2006, 10:53 PM
My inaugural visit to RA was in 1994 w/ PCA.

After an initial walkaround on Friday eve I was stoked to tear it up on Saturday morning.

Modified 300+ hp '87 Mustang street car w/ big brakes and susp upgrades. Belts but no cage.

Anyway, after a checkout ride with one of their instructors and a discussion of my previous track experience, I was let loose for 2 sessions in the morning. Everything was fine with no hair-raising episodes, and I gradually worked up to going flat through the dip in 5th gear, which was good for 140 and change.

I thought I was just fine until I went to lunch with my bro-in-law and realized after we sat down that I couldn't even drink my soda. You see when I picked up my drink, my hand was shaking so badly that I couldn't get the straw in my mouth!

That track earned my respect that day, and I returned 2-3 more times to run it before Dr. Panoz ripped it up. I do miss the old config from a purely driver's standpoint. However, I think the new version is racier.

:eclipsee_steering: :023: