PDA

View Full Version : pulleys

nswanberg
08-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Anybody familiar with this problem? Has it been hashed here already?

http://www.mazdatrix.com/faq/pulley.htm

Eagle7
08-10-2006, 11:12 AM
It's been mentioned a few times. Yes, it's an issue. Different people have their favorite way to deal with it. Do you have a question?

nswanberg
08-12-2006, 07:04 AM
It's been mentioned a few times. Yes, it's an issue. Different people have their favorite way to deal with it. Do you have a question?
[/b]

The question I have is this: Does the front pulley set the rearward end play of the eccentric shaft in the engine??

Having never torn down a rotary I am not sure of this. But from the descrition in the posted link it seems to me it must. Yet it hardly seems beefy enough to serve this purpose in my opinion. So what is going on here with the pulley and the eccentric shaft float?? Or does the shaft naturally move forward under running conditions??

C. Ludwig
08-13-2006, 09:29 AM
There is an end play spacer that sits in the "stack" that determines endplay. The endplay spec is .0016-.0028". The spacers can be selected in various sizes to produce the amount of endplay neccesary. The torque of the from pulley does have a slight effect on ultimate endplay. The inner boss of the aftermarket one-piece pulley or the hub of the stock pulley rests against the stack. More torque applied to the tension bolt holding the pulley to the e-shaft will produce a very slight loss of endplay. So the answer is that the pulley does not directly set endplay but the torque of the tension bolt does have a slight effect. Re-torque that bolt to factory spec and you'll be fine.