PDA

View Full Version : Race car storage

Racefreak24
08-07-2006, 09:48 PM
OK for crying out loud my damn car isn't going to be ready this season. So I have the privelage of going through the school process AGAIN next year (super). Anyway, I am going to have to store my car through the winter. I live in NH where it snows and freezes for 6 months. How do you "properly" store a race car?

Thanks as always

JohnRW
08-08-2006, 10:57 AM
"Tire side" down.

zracre
08-08-2006, 03:08 PM
try to put it on stands if you can...take the race rubber off. Put Stabil or similar product in fuel and run the car to get it thru the fuel system, change the fluids to get the contaminants out (oil brake fluid trans oil etc) spray it down with wd40 take the battery inside with you and put it on a battery tender and you should be good to go!

latebrake
08-08-2006, 03:14 PM
whats to store? are the tires good or new? if so take them off and drop the air pressure so it wont streach the carcus. put them in something and store them inside somewhere. after that its all water,if you can get it out you are fine until spring. cover it up so you cant see it and this will help to keep your hands off it until you can really work on it. this is the hard part. Whine around the house a lot and say things like "I hate it when I cant race and work on my car" keep this up intil Feb. Your wife will be so glad to get you out of the house working on your car you will have the best time and season ever. This is how you store a race car.

JamesB
08-08-2006, 03:20 PM
That only works if you have a wife or cohabitate with a potential wife.

I was considering building a rotisery and slowly turning it over hot coals for the winter, but I think jack stands in the garage that never sees lower then 40 is good enough.

zracre
08-08-2006, 03:42 PM
or move to florida and race it in the winter!

latebrake
08-08-2006, 03:51 PM
That only works if you have a wife or cohabitate with a potential wife.

I was considering building a rotisery and slowly turning it over hot coals for the winter, but I think jack stands in the garage that never sees lower then 40 is good enough.
[/b]

If you dont have one of those just put the car in the den. Put a laptop on the dash and play racing games :024: until it warms up. This will also make sure one never moves in. Did you see "war of the worlds" Tom Cruise had a 302 ford on an engine stand in the kitchen,no live in there either. :birra:

64oeg
08-08-2006, 08:09 PM
If it gets below freezing where you're at, make sure you have anti-freeze in the cooling system as well. Make sure it's circulating while the Sta-bil is getting through the fuel system.

George

BobsAuto
08-08-2006, 09:17 PM
If you dont have one of those just put the car in the den. Put a laptop on the dash and play racing games :024: until it warms up. This will also make sure one never moves in. Did you see "war of the worlds" Tom Cruise had a 302 ford on an engine stand in the kitchen,no live in there either. :birra:
[/b]

Don't laugh, but Bill Fralick from NER bought the Sport 2000 that I raced from a guy who had it in his dining room or living room (can't remember which) and the hutch was used to store engine parts. If anyone remembers Monty Wells who was once chief instructor of COM Sports Car Club and a professor at MIT, he had a VW motor in his bathtub and the transmission was a "footstool" for the toilet.

Racefreak24
08-08-2006, 11:57 PM
I definately appreciate the info everyone.......I have no wife or the patience so Im sure I will be attacking it all winter (just to get it running right). And the best idea I have heard was the moving to FL idea...PROBLEM SOLVED.

Seriously, thanks as always all. Hopefully someday I'l be on track with some of you.

JamesB
08-09-2006, 08:58 AM
[/b]

If I had tile floors that might happen. Hell I rebuilt a transmission in my basement office so anything is possible. No cars in the den, no doors are big enough to drive it in and im sure as hell not taking it apart and reasembling it.

x-ring
08-09-2006, 12:43 PM
... im sure as hell not taking it apart and reasembling it.
[/b]

The car or the house?

JamesB
08-09-2006, 01:34 PM
both.

Racefreak24
08-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Ok...car cover or no car cover? and....run it once in a while or let it sit for the duration?

Also someone said to WD40 it....whats this do? I actually see NASCAR doing it before taking to the track but thats race not storage conditions.

Andy Bettencourt
08-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Just basics:

Put it up on jackstands

Add some fuel stabilizer

Put it on a battery tender

Put your tires in a dry place

Start every two weeks making sure 100% it gets up to operation temp

Drain water/water wetter and add water/anitfreeze mix

Car cover never hurts

Tell Buddy to help you!

zracre
08-10-2006, 11:05 AM
WD40 puts a protective coating on stuff...keeps seals good as well. If you go out to stare at it and start it in the off season, it doesn't hurt to spray some on everything underhood.

latebrake
08-10-2006, 01:43 PM
wd/40 before a race makes clean up of rubber streaks a breeze too.

JohnRW
08-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Don't forget to put a large (20+ lbs) uncooked turkey in the trunk. Very critical winter storage item.

Racefreak24
08-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Excellent....oh ya. Buddy must LOVE this stuff or he'd be sick of me by now. I owe him big time someday when I hit the lotto...hehe

Scott Nutter
08-14-2006, 09:12 PM
The car on jack stands.
Change Fluids.
Antifreeze in radiator.
Mechanics Gloves.
Insulated boots.
Stocking cap, maybe a few they tend to soak things up!
Winter Coveralls.
Bullet Heater.
Stereo.
Internet connection in the garage.
And the all important small fridge for beverages, it's never too cold for beer!

And you're not storing the race car you're working on it all winter!