PDA

View Full Version : Ignition timing? Non Vanos E36

MaxEnergy
08-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Well it's been almost a year to the day that my exhaust to intake timing chain broke and bent all the intake valves. I have everything back together but she won't run right. Backfires and stumbles like the timing is off.

I think I may know the problem, the cam sensor took a hit from the broken chain but I did not replace it. I wanted to see if it was going to run before spending yet more on the car.

Before I buy a new cam sensor is there some other basic timing adjustment I am missing? Is the timing adjustable through the crank or cam angle sensor? On install I lined the cam sprockets up and used the official BMW cam locks and TDC pin. A traditional distributor engine or my RX7 requires that the distributor be installed in the correct orientation. Is there something like that I am missing?

Thanks, Jamie

MaxEnergy
08-11-2006, 10:16 PM
New cam sensor did it, runs great.

Curious what the compression test results should be? Mine are all within 2 psi +- 210 psi, which seemed high for a stock motor with a fresh rebuild.

jamie

RickyBobby
08-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Backfires and stumbles like the timing is off.
[/b]

Don't let the ITAC know it's running like that. As far as BMW's are concerned, thats an "adder" according to the "process".

WoooooooooHoooooooo................

Ricky

MaxEnergy
08-12-2006, 07:16 AM
no worries, it's no longer going to be a racecar.

JeffYoung
08-14-2006, 11:26 AM
If you will keess me on zee lips Rickee Bobbee, I will allow you to return to your troll cave unharmed............

Shake and bake!

I'm the magic man!

lateapex911
08-14-2006, 12:26 PM
hey, he's up to 6 posts now, each one more Richard Cranium than the last. Makes you long for a Mattberg post!

eer...kidding...(On the Mattberg part, that is...)

And don't you mean BMW forum, not 'troll cave'? ;)

JeffYoung
08-14-2006, 01:17 PM
I actually think Matt B has good intentions, just delivered in such a wrong way that things go horrible awry......

Azz to U, Rickee Bobbee, I will have yous know that I AM ZEE man, and all youz whinzee BEEMWEW drivers shall bow beefore my achievements. Men you are not! Whiners you iz!

[Marshall/Taylor/Grafton/Dan/others -- please accept my apologies and understand this is a joke)

RickyBobby
08-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Guys, I'm not feeling the love here... :wacko:

lateapex911
08-23-2006, 11:02 AM
:015: