PDA

View Full Version : Brickyard 400/NASCAR question

ddewhurst
08-06-2006, 05:09 PM
When Jimmy Johnson finished/won the Brickyard 400 he had the hood to left fender air gap taped over. IIRC he had a left front tire go flat, but the crew didn't add the tape when they changed the tire. They added the tape during a later pit stop. Anyone know what the NASCAR rule is about covering an air gap for aero improvement ?

Nice aero downforce improvement when you can get away with it.

Please don't tell me none of you watched the race......... ;)

Greg Amy
08-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Nope, I Tivo'd it and was going to watch it tonight. Ergo, it would been SUPER nice if you'da put something like "SPOILER" in the topic...as is customary...

ddewhurst
08-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Greg, catch which pit stop after they replace the flat tire that they add the tape if ya can. Also please note if there is improvement in his progress after the tape is added.

Thanks ;)
David

lateapex911
08-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, so much for watching THAT race on my Tivo and not knowing the result.

Grrr..thanks David.

So how do you know the improvement is due to the ta[e? MAybe they made an track bar change . Or an air pressure change Or...or..or???

I'm sure if other teams didn't like it....they'd be up in arms.

Greg Amy
08-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Nah, I'm gonna pass. No point in spending 2-3 hours when you know the final answer...

ddewhurst
08-07-2006, 07:56 AM
***Anyone know what the NASCAR rule is about covering an air gap for aero improvement ?***

Jake, that ^ is a question. Do you know the answer ?

***Nice aero downforce improvement when you can get away with it.***

Jake, that ^ is a statement of fact & I don't care what else they did to the car. Do you beleive you could tape up all the openings without penalty ?

Sorry I pi$$ed in your Cheerios guys, there is more to a race than the winner. ;)

The reason for the question is because I didn't notice the tape untill near the end of the race.

Bill Miller
08-07-2006, 10:35 AM
David,

You see teams pulling tape off the radiator openings all the time. Super speedways = more tape, short tracks = less tape.

ddewhurst
08-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks Mr. Bill

The question is is it legal to tape hood to fender at will ?

Racefreak24
08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Im not a NASCAR tech inspector but I'm willing to bet it is perfectly legal to tape at will just about anywhere the body work "would or should" be. Iv been watching the circle boys for 16 years now (OMG!!!!) and there are fenders taped after damage in ALMOST every race. They actually ready whole sections of tape in different colors before the race just in case. Adding tape to a fender area would not increase performance but it will help if the fender that WAS there is gone. You want as much left front fender flare as possible especially at Daytona and Talladega.