PDA

View Full Version : Brake controllers

MMiskoe
07-31-2006, 08:54 PM
I am in the process of replacing my truck & started looking for brake controllers. The last time I bought on was before the internet existed so choices were limited to what the local RV supplier had on their shelf. I ended up w/ a Drawtight (sp?) which has served very well, but is going to get sold w/ the old truck.

Having looked on line, I've seen a huge range of prices, but relatively little in the description that differentiates them.

Any comments or advice on what people have used in the past w/ either success or failure would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

crushed
07-31-2006, 09:31 PM
I don't have one, but from what I've heard the Tekonsha Prodigy is the way to go. I'll probably buy one as soon as I fit brakes on my trailer...

http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html

racer14itc
07-31-2006, 10:01 PM
I do have one (a Tekonsha Prodigy) and it's the only way to go, IMHO. I've had others and they worked OK, but the Prodigy is worth the money. It even told me I had a short in one of the brake circuits which I wouldn't have known about with the older style units.

MC

Greg Amy
07-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Coincidentally, I had to make that exact decision earlier today (mine's bad).

While I've heard that the Tekonsha Prodigy (http://tinyurl.com/j7k6p) is the best, I chose to save 1/3 the price and go with the Tekonsha Voyager (http://tinyurl.com/jxagx).

The primary difference seems to be that the Prodigy is self-levelling and the Voyager is not.

tdw6974
07-31-2006, 10:31 PM
The Prodigy is best I have used in 26 Years of towing(old F RT) It is simple to use and allows for quick adjustment based on the load in the trailer That day. Look on good ole Ebay there are several delaers that list them at big saving or better yet find a RV Dealer for a sponsor and maybe you can work a swap! :rolleyes:

BlueStreak
07-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Tekonsha Prodigy - worth every penny. So much better than the old technology. I will never go back :D

JoshS
07-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Agree with the Prodigy recommendation. Had one for 3 years, it's easily the best brake controller I've had. Just works "right" every time, with every trailer, with minimal fussing.

MMiskoe
08-01-2006, 12:02 PM
This Tekonsha Prodigy must work pretty well if there is such a concensus.

I'm not sure I've seen people agree on something at this site before.

Thanks for the input.

Matt

JamesB
08-01-2006, 12:14 PM
amazing right. I am cheap so when I got a controller I saw the price of the tenshi and went with the el cheepo 40 dollar time delay which was recomended to me by the trailer place. They told me for my little open trailer mostly towing in the DC area was all I needed. But said if I ever get up to the bigger enclosed trailers then spend the money.

mowog
08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Another vote for Prodigy. I've used several (much cheaper) brake controllers over the years, and will NEVER do that again!

RSTPerformance
08-01-2006, 07:09 PM
My brother just bought the prodigy I think. it adjusts the level of braking needed depending on the speed, and it does something for when you are in reverse? We are using it to tow the 45' steel enclosed trailer. Should work a lot better than the lack of trailer brakes we have had thus far... Now if we could only get the truck to go faster so we would need the trailer brakes!!! :)

Raymond

JamesB
08-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Yes, all the high levels ones adjust the brake levels based on inertia sensers.

JIgou
08-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Agree on the Tekonsha. Great piece.

Got mine here:
http://www.rjays.com/Tekonsha/prodigy-01.htm

At the time (a few years ago) it was about the best price I could find.....shipped fast, etc.

Jarrod

DavidM
08-02-2006, 01:32 PM
I have an intertial controller as well - can't remember off the top of my head if it's a prodigy or something else. Mine works well and I have no complaints. The inertial controllers are probably not the very best, though. A controller that plumbs into the brake line and varies trailer brakes based on brake pressure is going to be more accurate. Of course, these controllers cost a lot more and can't be moved, but if you want the very best. Go to any RV site if you want more info than you can handle on brake controllers.

David

Eric Parham
08-03-2006, 02:30 AM
I did the research last winter and bought the Prodigy in anticipation of towing a much heavier enclosed trailer. As it turned out, I don't even use it since my weight-distributing hitch lets the upgraded tow vehicle brakes do the whole job. Want to go back to an open trailer to save gas and time, though.