PDA

View Full Version : Barber

Parrish57
07-31-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm just curious if there has been any new discussion of returning to Barber. I'm aware of the problems that caused us to loose the track and I'm not trying to revisit the past, I just want to know if there is anything in the works as far as moving forward.

Steve

slickS14
07-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Steve, sorry to thread jack but can you call me at 404-314-5042 or e-mail me ..Thanks, Chris Newberry

Zneed4speed
07-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey Steve,

There has been much discussion and inquiry.
The powers that be at Barber have been receptive and many myths about the situation have been dispelled, but details are yet to be determined.

The Alabama Region held a successful PDX there this summer so the outlook is positive.

Do you think there would be a good turnout for a Regional there?

RussMcB
08-01-2006, 12:02 AM
After watching the Daytona Protypes there on TV yesterday, I'm ready to return. It was a fun track to drive.

There are a few things that I hope are different when we return:
- They don't require a car inspection for the test day
- Cooler weekend (Spring or Fall?)
- They let us walk the track.

JeffYoung
08-01-2006, 05:12 AM
I am in Raleigh, NC. I towed there for the Double SARRC in 2004, loved the place. Would do it again in a heartbeat (for a Double SARRC).

dickita15
08-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Do you think there would be a good turnout for a Regional there?
[/b]

A lot of us from the north would like to try the track out if you could get a date when we are not racing up here. I will admit however I would probably not come down the first time SCCA returns. too long a tow unless I am sure the club has the relationship with tte track to put on a good event.

Parrish57
08-01-2006, 08:02 AM
You can count me in if we return. I also watched the Grand Am race on Sunday. The track looks like a lot of fun...

jmark
08-01-2006, 10:28 AM
You can count me in if we return. I also watched the Grand Am race on Sunday. The track looks like a lot of fun...
[/b]Barber is a beautiful track. Steve you coming to VIR In August?

Zneed4speed
08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
I will admit however I would probably not come down the first time SCCA returns. too long a tow unless I am sure the club has the relationship with tte track to put on a good event.
[/b]

That's why a PDX was done first. The event went great, no complaints from the track or competitors. The relationship seems to be good. From what I understand a date just needs to be worked out and interest surveyed to insure enough entrants to pay the hefty rental fees.

So a show of hands here may help things along.

apexingsupra
08-01-2006, 12:39 PM
I can assure you that from the top (Mr. Barber) all the way down the ladder we (Ala. Region SCCA) have been welcomed back in a most cordial fashion. Things have changed. Everyone has moved forward. The Alabama region was invited onto Zoom Motorsports (track management) advisory committee of user groups on track issues. The April PDX was as "smooth as butter" on the Alabama region's end on Barber's end. No issues. No problems. As Mr. Barber put it he wants Barber Motorsports Park to be the Alabama region's home track. He is a member of our region.

The current problem is getting a date that will work within the draconian confines of the SEDIV SARRC rules on scheduling (almost impossible to find an open date). Running in July at Barber is a problem currently in that Grand Am runs there that month and you have to wait (this happens at other tracks and with other regions) until Grand Am finalizes their calendar to know what is available in July. So we are going back to Roebling in July 07 (on the nice shiny new pavement) and are working with track management right now at Barber trying to find a date that will work with the SARRC calendar. If that happens then we will be at Barber in 2007.

We anticipate doing a PDX at Baber in 2007 and hope to be back doing club racing there too next year.

Barry H.
Ala. Region SCCA RE

BlueStreak
08-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Would anybody be opposed to real late in the year, say Dec 1-2?

Not trying to start anything - I'm just curious how everyone else feels about December racing in Alabama.

Thanks
Eddie

apexingsupra
08-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Would anybody be opposed to real late in the year, say Dec 1-2?

Not trying to start anything - I'm just curious how everyone else feels about December racing in Alabama.
Thanks
Eddie
[/b]

December would make me nervous. Busy time of the year (holidays). Many people are starting to tear their cars down for the next season at that point. With track rental being what it is we need a date more in the midst of the race season.

Barry H.

dickita15
08-01-2006, 02:08 PM
December would make me nervous. Busy time of the year (holidays). Many people are starting to tear their cars down for the next season at that point. With track rental being what it is we need a date more in the midst of the race season.

Barry H.
[/b]
thats too bad, while attracting your local drivers has to be your first priority a late date would be pretty attractive for us snowbirds. racing ends in october here.

BlueStreak
08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
That's why I asked the question. There are a lot of snowbirds that might haul 12 hours in Dec for Alabama, but can't haul 24 hours for a central or south Florida race.

Thanks
Eddie

lateapex911
08-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Better yet, have it a couple weeks after the ARRCs...I'll drop the rig in Alabama, fly home, and then back dwon, race, and finish the tow. Killing two birds with 1.25 stones is a great thing!

CDS
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I would come. It's a short tow for me and it's a beautiful track.

The museum is worth a visit if you haven't been.

88YB1
08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I'll definately come. I went last year, but car trouble prevented me from racing. The few laps I managed on test day were a blast, and really wetted my appatite for more. I was really dissapointed when 2006 was canciled.

Chuck
ITA Pontiac Fiero #34

dickita15
08-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Better yet, have it a couple weeks after the ARRCs...I'll drop the rig in Alabama, fly home, and then back dwon, race, and finish the tow. Killing two birds with 1.25 stones is a great thing!
[/b]
that would be cool :023:

SPiFF
08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
If there is a Barber date in 07, I will be there no matter what!

DavidM
08-02-2006, 02:17 PM
I'd be there. I think a lot of people from the Atlanta area would go.

David

Parrish57
08-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Barber is a beautiful track. Steve you coming to VIR In August?
[/b]

I won't make the August race. The motor is out of the car (and I have to work). My next event will be the Halloween race at VIR... But I would be open to the idea of an early December race at Barber...

bldn10
08-04-2006, 04:47 PM
"There are a few things that I hope are different when we return: ... They let us walk the track."

Only if you promise to wear soft soles and wipe your feet before entering. :P