PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

JeffYoung
07-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Guys, have a question. I have a Rover V8 in my IT car, just a standard Murican V8. Stock oil filter mounts basically to where the external oil pump is on the car (front right of the motor).

I've been using the Mocal spin on adaptor to run two lines (one in, one out obviously) off of the filter location to the remote filter and cooler.

I've got a leak at the adaptor and I can't make it go away [insert your leaky British car joke here]. It's not much, a drop every few minutes, but enough that it is dirtying up the bottom of the car and well, in my attempts to take the IT Triumph effort to the next level, it just irks me.

I've replaced the adaptor, twice, and the Earl's fittings. Still leaking. Any thoughts? Is it conceivable that the mating surface on the block is scored?

I'm tempted to goop it up with some silicon but that is a bit inelegant.......

lateapex911
07-31-2006, 12:58 AM
Guys, have a question. I have a Rover [insert your leaky British car joke here]. [/b]

Needn't ask twice...

a drop every few minutes, but enough that it is dirtying up the bottom of the car and ......

[/b]

Look at it this way....the usual British rust issues on the floorpan will be avoided this way. It's all part of the big British plan.

I've replaced the adaptor, twice, and the Earl's fittings. Still leaking. Any thoughts? Is it conceivable that the mating surface on the block is scored?

I'm tempted to goop it up with some silicon but that is a bit inelegant....... [/b]

It's hard to imagine over or undertorquing would be the culprit. It's a spin on adapter, right? I imagine the surface is nicked or warped in some way. Maybe a flat dressing stone would clean it up?

I'd be a tad nervous about using anything that could release small bits in the oilstream. However, I suppose a thin skin of RTV might help seal it up, if the dressing fails.

joeg
07-31-2006, 06:45 AM
Might as well keep it British--Hylomar instead of Silicone