PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever.....

Racefreak24
07-30-2006, 09:40 PM
OK....let me start by being political. Racing and speeding on the road and street is illigal and should not be condoned for any reason. This is why we RACE actual RACE CARS on tracks. But regardless how many of you have ever driven down certian cections of road, off or on ramps etc where you say to yourself "DANM...I wish this street was closed so I can just rip down it." You know, roads that just force you to use every last bit of logic in your brain to not put the pedal down.

For me it's the rt 125 to 495 on ramp in Haverhill MA. Beautiful curved on ramp with a couple straights in between them.

Also for you rally fans....Poor farm Rd in Epping is a 7 mile dirl road with amazing elevation changes and corners placed there like it was MEANT to be raced on.

Now that i'v indicted myself anyone else ever experience this?

MIKEGTR
07-30-2006, 10:01 PM
First of all i'm not condoning street racing... and what we did was wrong but... Oh so delicious.... where i live there are a couple of winding roads.... about 2 minutes in length.... with about a +-100ft elevation change... so when i finished my ITA car... the one in my sig... i met up with a buddy of mine that had an ITA miata and we ripped those roads apart... it was about dusk and it did not end well. the right side of my car went over a curb and the wheels went inside an open sewer drain.... :bash_1_: broke two rims and spinned the car off a small hill next to a house... Had to bring my pathfinder and two wheels from my other BMW to get it going back... needless to say... that was the hot topic to laugh about at the upcoming race... :unsure:

Mike

zracre
07-30-2006, 11:24 PM
For me it's the rt 125 to 495 on ramp in Haverhill MA. Beautiful curved on ramp with a couple straights in between them.

Now that i'v indicted myself anyone else ever experience this?
[/b]

I grew up on that road...ripped it in every car (and truck/motorcycle) I have owned when I lived there!! Grew up in N Reading/Andover and had family in Haverill. Another one is Reservation Road in Andover...brilliant and short best done at nite so you can see lights...

Chris Wire
07-31-2006, 12:29 AM
When I was in college I used to visit my then-girlfriend at her college in Cobleskill, NY. I had the privilege of taking Highway 10 south out of Canajoharie just about every weekend. Plenty of dips, hills, and high speed cambered corners. My goal was always to take the corner at TWICE the suggested speed limit, if not the posted one. Encountered a few of the local constabulary, but since my dad was a NY State Trooper I always got professional courtesy.

That road was even voted a Car and Driver "10 Best".

JeffYoung
07-31-2006, 12:33 AM
No kidding Evan. My family is from Haverhill. The Lomazzos and Pulzettis.

RSTPerformance
07-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Oh the stories I could tell!!! lol

I blame it all on my father... when I was 15 1/2 you could legaly drive in NH with an Adult (or parent I forget)... It was winter and EVERY snow storm dad got out the keys to the car and we went out... We found every unplowed road (like that is hard in NH). If we went through a turn without the e-brake getting pulled it was cause he needed to give his arm a break!!!

I used to love TSD Rallies as they always were good for showing you where the best roads were!!! :happy204:

One of my favorite "getting pulled over stories" was when I was racing my brother. We both had Audi Quattro's and got good at four wheel drifts on our local exit ramp.... The cop sitting at the end of the ramp wasn't overly impressed and after about 1 hour of discussions and showing him pictures of our actual race cars (I always had a few pictures in the glovebox for such instances) he let us both go.

I recently (the other night) was pulled over by a very nice officer for doing well over the speed limit... He came back and said, boy you havn't had a ticket in 3 years, but you certianly had a record going thier for a while didn't you... I said yes sir, but I have tried to tame it down. He let me go with a warning :rolleyes:

Raymond "The girlfriends have always hated bumpdrafting on back roads, but my bro and I love it for free entertainment :unsure: " Blethen

lateapex911
07-31-2006, 01:11 AM
yes, well, I'll leave the 'stories' out. Something about creating a traceable record...

A few cool roads...and there are dozens and dozens.

-Cat Hollow Road leaving Roscoe NY and connecting to Rt 206, then Rt 206 west to Rt 91.

-Rt 7 along the river on the way to Lime Rock was great, but traffic has killed it.

-Angeles Crest Highway to Mt Wilson outside LA. Again timing is everything.

-Rt 1 from the 101 north of the Golden Gate to Muir Beach.

Those are the ones I can remember the names of!

BobsAuto
07-31-2006, 06:32 AM
Ah, the memories......
First of all, Raymond, your Dad wasn't the only one who taught you to "drive" the road like you owned it.....If you remember correctly, your mother was the queen of pullovers by the locals for a time there.... :unsure:

The Blethen patriarch is also from Haverhill and his Grandmother lived right off that ramp (Smiley Ave.)
at 125/495 and when we were first dating, I certainly "learned" that ramp well....

I remember the incident that Raymond mentioned about the cop looking at the pictures of the actual race cars.....Their Dad and I had a really good laugh about that one.

Old Goffstown Back Road is another good road, though the locals now "hide" there to catch unsuspecting souls.

In learning the back roads here in Loudon to navigate through town on Nextel Cup weekends, I have found SO many fun roads.....it would be way cool to have a TSD Rally done here with the stage being at the back parking lot roads of NHIS. Now THAT is a great place to run....

ggnagy
07-31-2006, 09:40 AM
When travelling to Summit Point from the NE on US 340, there is road that goes off to the left pretty steeply up the hill. It has many names but the sign should read "Chestnut Ridge Rd. Lots of direction changes in the x and z axis, sometimes both at once. Unfortunately, with all the people moving into the area, it is alot more travelled, and suffers from more than a few blind corners and unmarked deer crossings.

Having been brought up by TSD rallying parents, any and all back roads get the "this would be a good rally stage" rating.

RacerBill
07-31-2006, 10:00 AM
For those not fortunate to life in God's country - how about the upper roadway on the Queensboro bridge from Long Island City into Manhattan? Remember taking on a '57 Chevy with my Corvair Corsa late one Saturday night. The Kid's girlfriend was hanging out the door when we reached street in Manhattan!

cherokee
07-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Street racing =bad but I would bet that we all did it. I ran a road called Blue River road around here, it was a pretty long road and my goal was to make it from one end to the other in less then 5 min. Never got busted on that one. It was a nice tree lined road that followed a river lots of turns and such.

RacerBill
07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
OK - Here's a couple more from the Big Apple!

Forest Park Drive - through Forest Park in Queens. As I remember it, Southbound was more exciting than Notrhbound. Too narrow for racing, but a good rally road!

Our favorite road to Lime Rock consisted of the Bronx River Parkway then up the Teconic Parkway to Millbrook. We would take that road when we were driving the race car up instead of trailering or towing. I can't believe I remember driving race cars to the track, 10 years before Showroom Stock or IT!

And no, we never raced on those roads. Let's just say some spirited driving!

The Teconic was a really winding scenic road, but it could bite you bad. I remember somebody on his way up to the Rock was comming down one particularly steep mountain (no trucks allowed on parkways, so the roads did not have to have gradual slopes). He lost it comming over the top. Now there was guard rail on the left dividing Northbound from Southbound traffic, and guard rail and sheer rock wall on the right. He managed to bounce off the guard rails on both sides for about three miles. Put Steve McQueen to shame!

Anyone from the Kingston, NY area? The roads from Kingston up to Saugerties were pretty cool, as well as from Woodstock (the real town, not the festival sites) to Saugerties. Platt Cove mountain was interesting as well as the road up to the Hunter Mt. ski area.

hd54kh
07-31-2006, 12:05 PM
RacerBill, you got my turf, I live on Platte Clove Mountain Rd. actually the last house at the bottom. I just got a ITB Golf and will do my first school at the Glen in Sept. I know that hill and for the past thirty years test drove every one of my cars/bikes on it. If it can make it to the top and back it was ready for anything. My wife drives a 911SC (grey mkt euro) and just yesterday kept it close to 100 km alla the way from Woodstock to Phonecia on Rt. 212 lost of everything in the mix on that one.

The road from Kingston to Saugerties is now riddled with really low MPH limits and traffic but was one of my best runs.

Most of 23A from Hunter to Gilboa is another fun run.

Well my last points are off my licence in September and have now decided safer to race than speed. So next season hope you all can teach me the better organized way to heve fun.

Terry

gsbaker
07-31-2006, 12:25 PM
"...I wish this street was closed so I can just rip down it."

Shame on you. What would your mother say? I mean really, ripping down a road you wished were closed.

Now, the way to do it is to find a road that really is closed, then rip down it. Preferrably one that is brand new, complete with everything but the stripe down the middle, and is closed with those Mickey Mouse plastic saw horses. Something like Lockwood in Oviedo just before it opened:

http://news.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lo...0.03886,0.10849 (http://news.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lockwood+road+oviedo,+fl&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=28.667094,-81.176519&spn=0.03886,0.10849)

That said, <strike>you would never catch me doing</strike> I would never do this.

R2 Racing
07-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Gregg, I&#39;ve been on Lockwood before since one of my best friends lives not far from there in Oveido.

Yes, street racing is illegal. However, after spending my best years at Ohio University in the heart of the Hocking Hills area of southeast Ohio while owning a &#39;98 ITR and a &#39;98 CBR600, I would be glad to take anyone on one of my patented "Kevin&#39;s guided spirited driving tours of the Hocking Hills". Note, it&#39;s not street racing, but "spirited driving". Bring extra shorts. B)

gsbaker
07-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Gregg, I&#39;ve been on Lockwood before since one of my best friends lives not far from there in Oveido....
[/b]
That&#39;s spooky. Stop by the next time you&#39;re in town. Isaac buys the beer.

Lockwood isn&#39;t any fun any more. Not only did they take down the "Road Closed" signs, they put up speed limit signs. Party poopers.

gran racing
07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
I&#39;m so glad I found this racing thing to get most of my speeding out of me! Looking back on it now, the time I got pulled over for "accelerting too fast" is really funny. (I didn&#39;t even squeel the tires.) Come on - in an &#39;86 Celica? :rolleyes: Or the time I actually saw the police and slowed down to 28 mph in a 30 mph zone and got pulled over for going too slow. The joys of being young.

There&#39;s one road that on the way to work in CT - Avon Old Farms road. It goes through the woods and is really nice and twisty. Now that would be a blast if ever closed and deer were somehow prevented from going onto the road. Hey Jon, you like that road, right? :D

gsbaker
07-31-2006, 05:20 PM
I&#39;m so glad I found this racing thing to get most of my speeding out of me! Looking back on it now, the time I got pulled over for "accelerting too fast" is really funny....
[/b]
"Your honor, how could I be accelerating too fast if the officer caught me?"

gran racing
07-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Slightly off topic but...

I love the bumper sticker "I&#39;m not speeding, I&#39;m qualifying!)

Tom Blaney
08-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Rt 84 going east take the Lime Kiln exit outside of Newburgh NY heading toward Fishkill (IBM Plant). It has a similiar shape as 1 & 2 at Lime Rock (faster too :happy204: )

Tom

Rabbit05
08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Where I learned to drive where all the back roads between Stillwater and Saratoga Springs, NY. Where the roads would go from dirt to pavement and back to dirt again ! It was awesome ! And like the Blethen&#39;s, me and my brother would do a little racing and pushing around on the dirt roads. Then I got a chance to learn stick on a &#39;77 MGB and had some real fun on all the pavement ( my father almost killed me when i brought it back all dirty ! ) :018:
But it was all the elevation changes , turns and twists that was great , and Lime Rock just remindes me of those old roads I used to "run" on. Just now, I don&#39;t have to worry about a car coming at you in the next lane when you get it a bit wrong . :wacko:

John VanDenburgh
VanDenburgh Motorsports
ITC Rabbit #05

BMW RACER
08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Street racing! You should be ashamed of yourselves! But I think we all did it, and if we didn&#39;t it was probably because we didn&#39;t have the car or the place. Besides now we can use the "Young and Stupid" defence. I got my road racing chops on Mullholland Drive back in the early seventies. Many of us went on to SCCA racing from there.

byron12
08-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Highway 60 in North Georgia which also makes a loop with u.s. 19 over neals gap. I believe a few years ago motorcyclist magazine put it in their top ten riding roads in america. As a result the fannin county fire department has to scrape a body off the pavement about every weekend. I grew up in the area and when i first got my drivers license i used to entertain myself by catching motorcyclist and honking my horn untill they used the pullouts. All that said i agree that illegal street racing speeding etc. is stupid and not to be condoned i still occasionally rip up the on ramp on my way to work.