PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Grand Prix double regional at State Fair Park in West Allis, WI

cashmo
07-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Wisconsin Grand Prix double regional at State Fair Park in West Allis, WI

The Milwaukee Mile Labor Day weekend race Is a GO!! Please join us September
2-3, Saturday and Sunday for the inaugural event at The Milwaukee
Mile, a double regional road race. We're looking for entrants as well
as volunteer workers.

http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/RoadRacing/2...dracesched.html (http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/RoadRacing/2006/roadracesched.html) has
the entry form and http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/FC/flagging.htm has
Flagging and Communications info.

Thanks,
Jeff

1stGenBoy
08-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I'll be there. Any one else?

planet6racing
08-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Of course I'll be there. There is something about being able to sleep in my own bed at night that just really appeals to me about this race...

I still haven't decided whether to trailer the car or just drive it the whole 4 miles to the track... :D

ddewhurst
08-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Me too, on the dark side. :023:

1stGenBoy
08-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Ok David I, give up. What is the darkside?

lateapex911
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Spec Miata?

Do I get points for solving a Dewhurst mystery if I'm right?

ddewhurst
08-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Jake gets double points because he's from out of division. :023:

1stGenBoy
08-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Ok I, get it now. I'm not the brightest bulb sometimes. :wacko: David, are you going to run at Road America this weekend?

ddewhurst
08-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Bob, the answer to Road America is nope, I don't enjoy the track. I like the 2 mile tracks 10 to 15 turns where the driver needs to hustle the car around. Different strokes for different folks.

1stGenBoy
08-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Fair enough David. Road America is much more fun in the GTL car than the IT car for sure.

planet6racing
08-28-2006, 08:54 AM
If you are planning to attend this race and have not yet registered, PLEASE contact the registrar immediately!!! This event is in danger of being cancelled due to low entries (only 20 as of this weekend).

Racer X
08-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Just to confirm, we would be running a road course using both the infield and portions of the oval?
Which direction?
Is there a map somewhere that shows the layout of the infield portion of the course?

planet6racing
08-29-2006, 11:33 AM
I believe the entry form at http://www.scca-milwaukee.org has a map of the course. Please be very patient, though, as it can take a while to load.

And, yes, the oval and the infield, clockwise (anti-Nascar).

mengelke
08-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Yes the event is on, late fee is waived.

Mike Engelke
Chief Steward

planet6racing
09-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Well, that certainly was fun! The track wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it was going to be (just the one time when I was staring at concrete with the rear-end coming around!!) and it was a blast to drive!

I hope this will become an annual event. Something about being just 4 miles from home makes it REALLY attractive!

Greg Gauper
09-06-2006, 09:39 AM
I agree! The track was alot more fun than I expected. The two hairpins keep the average speeds down, but the fast stuff is FAST!!! It is fast like IRP but nowhere near as intimidating. It has a few rough edges still (needs some rumble strips & FIA curbs in a few places) but word is this will be in place for next year.

Unlike most 'rovals' (Gateway comes to mind) you can't go flat out thru the oval section due to the lack of banking, but it is so wide that side-by-side racing is pretty comfortable despite the speeds (I can now understand why the indy cars & stock cars all like racing at the Milwaukee Mile...the geometry of the oval lends itself to good side-by-side racing). I predict there will be some close finishes because of this. It will also favor a good handling car over one with horsepower...both myself and a fellow GTL car had fun 'terrorizing' a couple of GT1 cars in the oval section B) The key to a fast lap will be having a car that is fast and stable thru the oval section. While a good handling/low HP car might get held up in the infield section, there is more than enough room to go high or low in the oval section to get around a car with more power, and keep the lead coming up to the flag. I can see there being quite a few lead changes occuring for this reason.

Kinda weird having a big race track right smack in the middle of a big city...I'm used to the tracks being out in the sticks. This could be a nice selling point for out-of-towners since there are some very good restaurants/bars/pubs in the immediate area.