PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

kjh6576
07-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Hello Everyone,
During the group 3 full course yellow @ the Glen the #20 02 passed me at the exit of the corner leading on the front straight. I think he realized that he passed me under caution and let me by. Apparently no one saw him pass me ,so I was penelized 1 position. My finishing position retraction pales in comparison to recieving what felt like I was getting a speeding ticket. I spoke to the Chief Steward and he was a really nice guy. I explained what had happened. He replied "2 wrongs don't make a right". So yes, I was in the wrong, but, It wasn't my fault. Hehe. I'm sure you've never heard that before.
Any way, Should I have slowed to prevent him from letting me go back by? I was wondering what you guys think about this.
I would also like to thank Dan Theil (White and green Volvo) and David Toy (White 02) for a fantastic race. I was hoping for rain again for the race but, the Glen is just as much fun in the dry.

Thanks Ken
IT-B #76 BMW 02'

lateapex911
07-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Tricky deal. But...you really need to have the guy who wants you to repass to just about pull over and stop. Which makes it hard for him to be passed only by you.

The better way is for him to point you by on the first corner after the green flag. It's so easy for him to brake 20 or so feet early. If the traffic is too heavy, he can wait a few corners.

Did you get him to come and talk with you to the Stewards??

gran racing
07-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Gee, that's a tricky one. I'm not entirely sure what I would have done in your situation. I guess I really need to go through the rules again. :rolleyes: If the guy pointed me by to right a wrong (pass under yellow), I probably would have passed him but would have made it quite obvious that he was letting me by (pass really, really slowly).

dickita15
07-30-2006, 06:19 AM
This is absolutely a no win situation, from a fairness point of view you are right, the guy should be able to let you by but the letter of the rules is more worried about safety during the yellow than fairness in racing. In order for you not to get penalized the other car has to pull way off course and point you by even to the point of dropping a wheel.

Many stewards will understand your dilemma and cut you some slack but if they don’t you have no recourse. You did violate the no passing rules. Unfortunately the best thing to do is to repass the guy when the green comes out.

gran racing
07-30-2006, 08:44 AM
From the other driver's perspective and rules: I just passed Ken then quickly realize that it was done just as the yellow came out. Since I feel that it was a pass under yellow, I want to make things right. I don't want to wait till the green flag because it may allow others to go by. Besides, I want to get passed him again as quickly as possible. I don't want to put a wheel in the dirt, as that may cause more issues.

I thought (and could be getting confused with another rule book) that it was my responsibility to make things right. If I didn't, I'd get penalized. I quickly looked in the GCR, but couldn't find where it talks about this.

dickita15
07-30-2006, 10:09 AM
No unfortunately there is no provision for “fixing” a pass under yellow in the current rules. The put a wheel off thing (and I did not look this up recently) was a change a couple of years ago to deal with a car under full course yellow that is disabled so much that he can keep up with the pace.

I am sure the CRB would look at a way to make a “fix” possible under the rules, but it would have to be written in a way that there would be no possibility of endangering working trying to get things done under a full course yellow.