PDA

View Full Version : Who runs catch tanks for the transaxle?

tom91ita
07-20-2006, 07:57 PM
From 2006 GCR:

17.26. OIL CATCH TANKS, FILTERS, AND BREATHERS
Oil holding tanks and engine breathers, whether directly or indirectly
ventilating the crankcase, and all transmission/transaxle breathers shall
be equipped with oil catch tanks. Minimum catch tank capacity shall
be one U.S. quart for the engine and transmission/transaxle.......

my honda transaxle has a small breather tube as noted in:

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts...component=M++02 (https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts_list.php?hp_queried_components=0&hp_series_id=268&hp_series_model=CRX&hp_series_year=1986&hp_series_door_ext_grade=2DR+SI&hp_series_transmission=5MT&hp_series_slsareacd=KA&hp_system=B&hp_component=M++02)

i don't think i have ever heard this to be an issue but i don't see anything in the IT rules saying that we don't have to comply with this part of the gcr.

and even though "breather vent" is listed as separately from a "vent" in the glossary, they seem to mean the same thing.

Hotshoe
07-20-2006, 08:51 PM
From 2006 GCR:

17.26. OIL CATCH TANKS, FILTERS, AND BREATHERS
Oil holding tanks and engine breathers, whether directly or indirectly
ventilating the crankcase, and all transmission/transaxle breathers shall
be equipped with oil catch tanks. Minimum catch tank capacity shall
be one U.S. quart for the engine and transmission/transaxle.......
[/b]

Tom,

.... I have had a line running from my transmission to my catch tank for over seven years now. I consider it a pretty good idea. I had a problem at Charlotte Motor Speedway with the banking. At speed it would cause the grease to come out of the vent on the right side of the trans. Then it would blow down the frame rail and wick out onto the right rear tire. I spun two times during a race entering turn one and could not figure out why until afterwards .......

.... Sometimes it just makes sense, rule or no rule.

tom91ita
07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
but if i reading this rule correctly, we would need separate catch tanks for the transaxle and the engine.

i don't have a problem with running the vent off my tranny to my quaker state oil catch "tank" but do i need a separate one?

this section of the GCR was posted in another forum for another reason and when reading it, a lightbulb went off.

gprodracer
07-20-2006, 10:18 PM
bump

joeg
07-21-2006, 07:50 AM
The rule applies to IT and yes, you need two tanks...bottles or whatever.

Mine has been as dry as a bone for 10 years, but I suppose if the transaxle somehow failed catastrophically without breaking the case, it is a good thing to have. You would want two anyways if the fluids are different. You do monitor your engine dump tank periodically...don't you?

Cheers.

x-ring
07-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Joe

I can see why you would want two seperate catch tanks. In fact, I have three (engine, trans, and diff), but just wondering why you believe you must have two seperate tanks.

Why can't the engine and the transaxle (on a FWD car) vent into the same tank? I'm pretty clueless about FWD cars.

I can't see anything in the rules that requires it, but I may be looking in the wrong place.

shwah
07-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Provided the volume is sufficient, I don't see any technical issue with using one tank. I need to give it some thought on the legal point though...

joeg
07-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Why 2?

Easy--The rule uses the conjunctive "and" and the plural..."Tanks"

Cheers.