PDA

View Full Version : A question about Engine Rebuild Kits.

iambhooper
07-19-2006, 06:03 PM
I ventilated the block on my Honda, in May. I plan to do a .040 motor. The machinist that is doing the work has looked into some rebuild kits and I have a few questions.

Honda does not make a rebeuild kit any longer. They do offer parts. He has found a rebuild kit that contains the following brands: Clevite bearings, Fel pro gakets, Top Line pistons and a Melling oil pump.

My question is: Knowing these products are ment for a general stock rebuild, do you think they are quality enough for an ITC race engine build?

Yes, I know that everyone will tout the quality of the honda parts... However, we are talking camshaft, pistons, and everything for under $400 vs probably close to $600 or more for the most of the parts from Honda. I am aware the the bearings might be a bit looser.

I need to make a decision in the next couple of days. He's ready to work on the block, and I'm ready to start working on the motor.

Thanks!
hoop

Conover
07-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Would an aftermarket camshaft be legal?

iambhooper
07-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Is that Cameron? This is Brian (you may remember me as the one always stopping in at the Autozone looking for bits and pieces for my Fiero... also, Ed and Joedy, and Heather's friend).

Cam shaft... yes, I could see where it would be illegal if it were a sport or racing grind, but it is supposedly stock. (I think we would knwo the answer to this if I were the one able to give Kirk a tow through the front at VIR :D )

I plan to let him know by tomorrow morning (so he can order parts).

lateapex911
07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Hmmmm.....so the differential is 200??

Add the machining costs and the labor costs, and you see where I am going. It's 200, sure, but in the big picture, it's not that much.

Now....it's a lot easier to prove legality with stock Honda pistons and such during a teardown, then saying "It should be the same as stock."

Something to consider....

Motor City Hamilton
07-20-2006, 04:41 PM
I went with Honda parts for my rebuild. The 0.040 pistons came from OPM. I think it was worth it. Food for thought. I had a radiator issue in 95 degree heat and ran the car at 250 degrees for half of a race session. The head gasket held up. The guys I race with in the same 3rd Gen Honda's couldn't believe that I didn't blow the head gasket. Each of them had similar issues in the past and blew Felpro gaskets at that high of water temp. The Honda gasket looks much more beefy.

Conover
07-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Now....it's a lot easier to prove legality with stock Honda pistons and such during a teardown, then saying "It should be the same as stock."

Something to consider....
[/b]

That's kinda what I was getting at, but you wouldn't have to worry unless you win the ARRC probably.

Yup, it's Cameron, here.

I remember, haven't seen you around lately. You still have that Fiero? My wife thinks she wants a Fiero, I have a good mind to get her one and see if she still wants it after owning it for a while, then again, I'll be the sucker that has to work on it when it brakes.

iambhooper
07-20-2006, 09:23 PM
That's kinda what I was getting at, but you wouldn't have to worry unless you win the ARRC probably.

Yup, it's Cameron, here.

I remember, haven't seen you around lately. You still have that Fiero? My wife thinks she wants a Fiero, I have a good mind to get her one and see if she still wants it after owning it for a while, then again, I'll be the sucker that has to work on it when it brakes.
[/b]

Honda no longer makes a .040 over piston... so everyone running that motor is using an aftermarket replacement piston (which appears to be the corect interpretation fo the rules, but I'll stay away from that). Anyway, I don't plan to run the ARRC... maybe the SIC if $$ and wife ever allow's.

Fiero's... ahhh, how I miss mine. I got the 3400 conversion done, except for a few brackets that I didn't have the skill/tools/time to make (at the time) and let the car sit for a year. Got the wiring finished and sold it to a army kid that used some angle metal from a hardware shop to finish it. That still hurts. That car would have been an awesome track car.

Get her one. I suggest the '88 Formula, but they will cost. Any of the '86/87/88 5spd v-6's are a blast (the auto is a fun cruiser). Heck, they are just as easy as a FWD car to work on... your just leaning over a trunk instead of the radiator. And if you need help, I'm not that far away (Lake Jeanette).

hoop

Andy Bettencourt
07-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Honda no longer makes a .040 over piston... so everyone running that motor is using an aftermarket replacement piston (which appears to be the corect interpretation fo the rules, but I'll stay away from that). [/b] Then nobody can be running 'replacement' pistons if there is nothing to replace! If people are running .040, they SHOULD be running custom copies of the originals (or of the shelf copies of teh originals) with a weight equal to or heavier than a stock piston.

Fiero's... ahhh, how I miss mine. I got the 3400 conversion done, except for a few brackets that I didn't have the skill/tools/time to make (at the time) and let the car sit for a year. Got the wiring finished and sold it to a army kid that used some angle metal from a hardware shop to finish it. That still hurts. That car would have been an awesome track car.

Get her one. I suggest the '88 Formula, but they will cost. Any of the '86/87/88 5spd v-6's are a blast (the auto is a fun cruiser). Heck, they are just as easy as a FWD car to work on... your just leaning over a trunk instead of the radiator. And if you need help, I'm not that far away (Lake Jeanette).

hoop [/b]

Had 2. An 87 GT and an 88 Formula. Would LOVE to build an 88 V6 for ITA. It would be cool - very cool. I often wonder what kind of power could be made out of that 2.8 with full IT prep. It sure would be a torque monster - no revs - but she would pull!

AB

Harvey
07-20-2006, 10:33 PM
There was never a .040 piston from Honda.

iambhooper
07-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Then nobody can be running 'replacement' pistons if there is nothing to replace! If people are running .040, they SHOULD be running custom copies of the originals (or of the shelf copies of teh originals) with a weight equal to or heavier than a stock piston.

AB
[/b]
that's what were talking about here... off the shelf copies, whether it's a Top Line brand, Zalinsky,OPM or Rivergate supplied piston (who know's what there offereing, but givin the price, I would bet a Top Line piston).

IMO, the SCCA has had a thing against Fiero's for years. They don't allow updating or back dating on that car (that's where the rule about the mounting location of the struts was written), and the car is pretty heavy. If you could run the '88 rear cradle/suspension with the earlier car's front suspension, that would be a nice setup. As for power... stock motor was 135 hp, once you build a .040 motor, strip emisions, add headers, my guess is you should be able to get in the neighborhood of 157-162 hp at the flywheel (maybe a bit more). The people I knew that were going all out (on a street car) were winding up in the proximity of 170-175. At that point, it was easier (and cheaper) to use the 3.4 camaro motor's.

lateapex911
07-21-2006, 12:43 PM
IMO, the SCCA has had a thing against Fiero's for years.
[/b]

O Come ON! A "thing"??? :rolleyes:

I hear black helicopters in the background.....

I'll be to the point: The SCCA couldn't give two craps about the Fiero, and has nothing for or against it.

tom_sprecher
07-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Yer rebuilding yer engine and yer sweating two hundred bucks? Christ, I've had bar tabs bigger than that. :birra:

Go for it!

iambhooper
07-21-2006, 06:38 PM
O Come ON! A "thing"??? :rolleyes:
I hear black helicopters in the background.....

I'll be to the point: The SCCA couldn't give two craps about the Fiero, and has nothing for or against it.
[/b]

I was talking in past tense. Still, a local novice has built one and I'm watching it with interest.

Yer rebuilding yer engine and yer sweating two hundred bucks? Christ, I've had bar tabs bigger than that. :birra:

Go for it!
[/b]

If I can spell correctly, I believe the correct response is Touche'!... then again I can't spell and money is money.

Decision made... I will be going with the Honda bits. Thanks for the help!

Conover
07-23-2006, 08:33 AM
Sweet, real parts!

There was an ITA Fiero at CMP memorial day, it was fast on the straights. . .