PDA

View Full Version : Miata "Madness" Class

Colin Harmer
07-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Just filling out the contingency form for the 2006 ARRC and noticed that there's a Miata Madness class that lists ASM, SSM, and ITA spec. As I'm just finishing the final touches on my ITA miata, I was thinking that I could enter every event at the ARRC this year except the pro shootout...
ITA
Miata Madness
Pro It
Enduro

I may well need a tire and fuel deal!

Can anyone from the Atlanta Region shed some light on the Miata Madness race?

Thanks,

Butch Kummer
07-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Since SpecMiata went National it is no longer philosophically eligible for "the National Championship event for non-National classes". You can (obviously) run your SM in ITA, but for 2006 we are also adding SSM (using the WDC/NEDIV rules) and ASM ("ARRC Spec Miata"). ASM is current SM rules, but no spec tire (i.e. - the GCR definition of Regional SM) with the additional caveat that anyone running SM at the Runoffs cannot run ASM in the ARRC championship race on Saturday.

The ARRC Committee will be meeting at Road Atlanta this weekend to confirm the final details, but "Miata Madness" will be a Pro Shootout style race for Miatas only on Sunday. $250 to enter ($140 goes toward the prize fund), 20-lap race, payback to the top ten per class. All Miatas: ITA, ASM, SSM and (depending on whether or not I can sell it to the Committee), SPU should someone show up with an EP (for example) Miata and a checkbook.

So yes, your ITA Miata can run:

Pro-IT Friday afternoon
Championship race on Saturday
"Miata Madness" Sunday morning
Enduro Sunday afternoon

We're also planning to add ITO and ITU to the mix this year as well, but I'll "officially" post that after the meeting this weekend. ITO is what most of the rest of the country calls ITE and will run with the big bore cars. ITU is same concept, will run in Group 1 (along with SPU, ITT, SRX7, GTP and SSM) and covers things like WC Touring, NASA Honda Challenge, etc. ITO/ITU will be like SPO/SPU but for production-based cars on DOT tires.

More after this weekend, but hopefully this helps...

Butch Kummer
Atlanta Region Competition Director
2006 ARRC Event Chairman

Greg Amy
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
So when do all other classes get removed in order to make more track time available for Mazda Miatas?

Just kidding, just kidding.

Mostly.

Andy Bettencourt
07-19-2006, 01:40 PM
So when do all other classes get removed in order to make more track time available for Mazda Miatas?

Mostly.
[/b]

As soon as you can collect more than one NX2000 driver in the country! :) Maybe you should take my car down for that event...

Mostly.

Butch Kummer
07-19-2006, 02:49 PM
For the part of you that's not kidding (mostly), the only reduction in track time is the Enduro was cut back from the three hours we ran last year to two hours in 2006. In 2003 we ran two 90-minute Enduros, so that event has been all over the place lengthwise anyway.

planet6racing
07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't doubt that the Miata's aren't taking away track time from the rest of us, but it sure is curious how the SCCA (as a whole) seems to bend over backward to find places for it to run...

Hmm... Does this mean that, with Julow in charge, the Neon is going to find similar places to race? :D

RSTPerformance
07-19-2006, 06:31 PM
The ARRC Committee will be meeting at Road Atlanta this weekend to confirm the final details, but "Miata Madness" will be a Pro Shootout style race for Miatas only on Sunday. $250 to enter ($140 goes toward the prize fund), 20-lap race, payback to the top ten per class. All Miatas: ITA, ASM, SSM and (depending on whether or not I can sell it to the Committee), SPU should someone show up with an EP (for example) Miata and a checkbook.
[/b]

Flatout- Are you looking to rent out an EP Miata anytime soon? With $140 per entry going into the "kiddy" you could certainly make an easy and good size dent in the costs of things.

Raymond

Zahniser1970
07-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Why are you cutting down the enduro? Are you guys cutting the price as well?

R2 Racing
07-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Why are you cutting down the enduro? Are you guys cutting the price as well?
[/b]
Good question. That price for the enduro last year was a little steep, to say the least.

Butch Kummer
07-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Entry fees will (approximately) reflect the amount of time offered for each event, much as we did for our "regular" events this year. We went up on entry fees for SARRC, Nationals and Pro-IT in 2006 due to increases in costs, but the entry fee for a 2-driver ECR stayed the same as 2005. If you look at the "dollars per minute of track time" ratio for each type of race we run, ECR offers the most track time per dollar.

We will apply a similar process to the ARRC weekend entry fees.