PDA

View Full Version : Street legal IT car

cherokee
07-13-2006, 02:46 PM
I know that there has been threads like this in the past but with all the changes going on I was just wondering:

How many of you still have a REAL street legal car, and by that I mean all the glass, carpet, headliner......

My MR2 is very street legal, both door windows, carpets still there, headliner, the only thing taken out of my car is the A/C, the glass sunroof has a metal plate that covers the hole, and lexan rear window. Anyone that sees it always says there is so much you could loose on that car, your car could be so much lighter, they even took weight off this year.

I don't drive it on the street very often...IE: once in the last 3 years, its a little harsh riding, but it can be done with no worries.

So how many of you are left with cars that meet the original "spirit" of IT?

RSTPerformance
07-13-2006, 03:14 PM
I wish mine was so that I could test stuff away from the track...

Raymond

Conover
07-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Knestis' car is street legal, plates and inspection and everything, we don't have to have headliners in NC, or carpet, etc. . .
But yes his car is really street legal, All preformance rally cars have to be street legal too, transits.

BlueStreak
07-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Mine is, but my understanding is that vehicles in my state are not permitted to be equipped with a "roll bar" inside the vehicle.

Supposedly the insurance companies will use this as an excuse to deny coverage on any accident you are involved in.......

Anybody had any experience with this?

CDS
07-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Is a lexan rear window IT-legal??

Gary L
07-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Is a lexan rear window IT-legal?? [/b]

No.

Zodiac
07-13-2006, 08:21 PM
It is for a 1st gen MR2. Take a quick look at the GCR.

rcc85
07-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Plexiglas window is legal on MR2, Del Sol, Fiero & 914 where the roll cage braces pass through the rear window. See GCR ITCS 17.1.4.D.10.a.

CDS
07-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Plexiglas window is legal on MR2, Del Sol, Fiero & 914 where the roll cage braces pass through the rear window. See GCR ITCS 17.1.4.D.10.a.[/b]
Oh, okay. I wasn't accusing, just confused. :unsure: Makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

Racerlinn
07-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Yep, and it even still has an Indiana University vanity license plate.
No carpet, headliver or rear seat, but I do put the front passenger seat back in.
I drive it to Solo's as well as to work about once a week.

Knestis
07-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Knestis' car is street legal, plates and inspection and everything...[/b]

http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/packed1.jpg

Loaded up and ready for the hour drive to the NASA 3.5 enduro at VIR last year...

The best part IS being able to drive it around to be sure stuff works. It would have taken us $1500 in entry fees to debug our check engine light problem this spring, if we'd had to do it at the track.

K

zracre
07-14-2006, 12:44 PM
My Zcar was street legal and I drove it to my first drivers school...Its not hard in FL all you need is a title and proof of insurance.

lateapex911
07-14-2006, 02:07 PM
It can be a huge asset, as Kirk points out, it can save track sessions frome being wasted sorting out silly things.

Some states don't allow roll bars, etc, but register forst, modify second..that's my motto! And don't hit anyting!

An end around solution is to call an agency in Maine and get a Maine registration. Now, some states get ornery about having the out of state registration of the car in your name and your lic. from your home state. "Tax evasion" is CTs issue. So if at all possible, register it in your brothers or wifes name. But the Maine registration is cheap, and gets plates on the car.

It's also handy for trailers that your home state insist have titles, or they won't register it, and the state from which you bought it not requiring titles. That's a registration catch 22, but Maine to the rescue, with a 8 yr registration! Whoo hoo!

ddewhurst
07-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Question: In how many states are our racing harness DOT legal ?

gprodracer
07-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Raymond Blethen,

I'm sure you've been asked this before, but I just noticed... Is the hood lifted on the right side of the GTI in your picture of the Audi and GTI in all of your posts??? It looks like the car is missing a hood pin.
If I knew how to post a picture of my teams cars I would, and I've always liked that pic, I just now noticed that after looking @ it hundreds of times. Or is it my aging eyesight playing tricks on me?
Thanks,
Mark Not trying to be rude Larson
CFR #164010

Conover
07-15-2006, 12:51 AM
I think this personifies street legal pretty well. . .
http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/mk3.2/donefront.jpg
at least my yard looks legal there. . .

gran racing
07-15-2006, 08:56 AM
An end around solution is to call an agency in Maine and get a Maine registration. [/b]

As I learned by Richie Hunter, an ITA driver who owns a trucking business, there are brokers you can call to get cars and trailers in various states. Hmmm, so that's why almost every tractor trailer I see is from TN or only a few other states.

One thing I would recommend if you drive your car to the track is have a back-up plan. Kinda like a disaster recover plan. :) Do you have any friends who have trailers and a tow vehicle just in case? If worst came to worst, is there a way for you to get home from the track if you need to leave the car there or a place you could rent a tow vehicle & trailer such as U-Haul?

As you are hearing, there are people who do it. I know a few people who race in NASA's Honda Challenge who also do it.

RSTPerformance
07-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Raymond Blethen,

I'm sure you've been asked this before, but I just noticed... Is the hood lifted on the right side of the GTI in your picture of the Audi and GTI in all of your posts??? It looks like the car is missing a hood pin.
If I knew how to post a picture of my teams cars I would, and I've always liked that pic, I just now noticed that after looking @ it hundreds of times. Or is it my aging eyesight playing tricks on me?
Thanks,
Mark Not trying to be rude Larson
CFR #164010
[/b]

lol... thats the Bildon boys car and If I remember correctly its the results of some "close" IT Racing into "Devels Elbo at Pocono!!! I am sure it didn't help the erodynamics ;) I can't remember if it was a result of my huge rear bumper or another car....

Raymond

gprodracer
07-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Raymond!
My bad for not being able to see the "Bildon" on the side of the Golf..
If I ever get up into your neck of the woods, I'll pm you and we
will :birra:

Mark

MIKEGTR
07-16-2006, 11:23 PM
My ITA car was street legal, meaning it had all necessary equipment for it to be driven on the street... couple of times i got pulled over driving to work and the cop's argument was that there was no interior... alas come to the rescue logic and reasoning... told him i had my seat and my seatbelt and no other passangers in the vehicle... so they always let me go..

however, the exhaust was not "street legal" but since i had passed inspection thanks to my trusty pathfinder that is still smog-legal there was nothing they could do since they had not heard the car at loud db levels...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/MIKEGTR/Bimmer2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/MIKEGTR/Bimmer3.jpg

and it was vandalized on the street in front of my house... sucks
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/MIKEGTR/DCP05140.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/MIKEGTR/DCP05138.jpg
Mike

Racy-Stacey
07-21-2006, 03:38 PM
That sucks about the bmw above

As for my car - its still street legal.. bearly.. lol

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/312006

I dont get harassed from the police because I dont give them a reason when I'm driving around. I did once get mistaken for a drift racer up in the mountains.