PDA

View Full Version : Legal to convert a base Neon -> ACR for ITA?

matt13
07-12-2006, 10:43 AM
I can get a 1995 SOHC Highline 4dr w/3 speed auto for free. The car is in fair condition: body is decent for a 11 year old car, but the engine burns a lot of oil (runs fairly strong, though). Section 17.1.4 C of the GCR kind of baffles me. On one hand it says you can update/backdate on the same make/model/body type, then it goes on to say you can't "create" a model or type of car by updating/backdating. My main question is, can I legally swap in an ACR MTX, steering rack, hubs, rear disc brakes, etc and run in ITA? If the answer is yes, I'd appreciate any input on whether or not it makes sense to do that. I enjoy working on cars, but my budget is limited.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Speed Raycer
07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
I'll leave it up to someone else to answer the "legal" part. If the ACR and non ACR's are on the same spec line, have at it, just make sure you update as an entire assembly

IMO, if your on a budget, the best thing you can do is find a 95-7 ACR that's already prepped for SSC or IT and use that free Highline for a spare parts car.

By the time you upgrade the Hubs, brakes, suspension, add a cage, seat, buy and swap in a driveline, you're in finished racecar territory and could be out racing next month!

zracre
07-12-2006, 01:40 PM
I'd say the answer would be yes but the cost involved would be better to find a better platform to start...just to get the bits to convert it would cost more than a neon R/T or similar car to start with...JMHO

and if it is on the same spec line you are not creating a model...they are based on the same car...just different parts...

Eagle7
07-12-2006, 09:37 PM
I didn't think it was legal to use an automatic transmission tub.

Matt Rowe
07-13-2006, 12:29 AM
I didn't think it was legal to use an automatic transmission tub.
[/b]

It wouldn't be legal if the VIN number called out the transmission choice. It also wouldn't be legal if the tub was actually different. But, if the parts that differentiate the auto tub from the manual are swapped as an assembly than I don't remember anything in the rulebook to prevent it. Everything just has to be swapped as an assembly.

All of that being said, it would be cheaper to pick up either an R/T or sport and start converting or better yet an old SSC car. Keep the 95 for spares.

matt13
07-13-2006, 11:13 AM
After pricing out what I'd need for parts, it's looking more and more like no matter what the legality, it's not economical to do the swaps. Thanks for the input.