PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay at WGI?

erlrich
07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I know I should have done this sooner, but I guess I should probably figure out where I'm gonna sleep while I'm there. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay near the Glen? Nothing fancy, just clean sheets and cold a/c. There are only about 1,000 places listed on the Glen's website, so that wasn't much help.

Thanks.

JamesB
07-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Earl,

Good luck. If you want, I have a room at the Falls Motel I can share. If you need your own room you might try the falls, otherwise I dont know the other places to stay and who might have space at this time. When I called a month ago I got the last 3 rooms at the Falls for myself, Matthew, my parents and a fellow racer. Since Matt isn't comming I have a room to share.

SRX7#27
07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm partial to the cabins at the Seneca Lodge.. $40 per night.. No AC, but I've never needed it even in August.. They're a little (ha!) on the rough side, but I'm just looking for a place to shower and sleep. Also, the bar at the Seneca is usually a good place to hang.. -Al G

mgyip
07-13-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm partial to the cabins at the Seneca Lodge.. $40 per night.. [/b]

I haven't stayed at the Seneca Lodge in a few years after "discovering" the Falls Motel in Montour Falls. The cabins at the Seneca are um, vintage, yeah, vintage. The rooms aren't bad but they're built on a wooden platform so that when anyone moves, the entire building echos with sound.

I've found that every hotel around Watkins Glen wildly inflates their rates whenever someone is at the track - I once paid something like $150/night for (the name naturally eludes me) a motel that is across the street from the only Chinese restaurant in town. That room was straight out of the 1950s - I don't think they've even changed the furniture since it was built!!

The Falls Motel is around $90/night which is marginal for the area but it's clean and the furnishings are from the very late 20th century - read: recently remodeled. They also have a lounge on-site - don't be scared that their website mentions that the bar is on the 2nd floor (which concerned me b/c it would be a long fall down the steps) b/c they also have a bar with snack foods on the 1st floor. While I haven't been there during a rain storm, apparently the back wall of the lounge is also a waterfall. Me thinks that was an afterthought when the contractor who didn't seal the back wall properly mentioned to the owner "That's not a flaw, that's a FEATURE".

In any case, I'm headed to Nelson Ledges for an Enduro instead of going to the Glen. I'm sure Earl will be happy since he can garner tonnes of championship points :P I'll think of y'all enjoying the beautiful views of Lake Seneca as I'm mowing our paddock space and digging the trench toilet at Nelson...

erlrich
07-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm sure Earl will be happy since he can garner tonnes of championship points :P I'll think of y'all enjoying the beautiful views of Lake Seneca as I'm mowing our paddock space and digging the trench toilet at Nelson...
[/b] Thanks Matthew, now every time I stop to take in the majestic splendor of the lake I'll be reminded of you digging a latrine :(

Oh, and thanks also for leaving an open bed - I'll make every effort to maintain the level of snoring James would otherwise have been treated to. I'm sure he'll appreciate that too.

Oh, and one more thanks, this time for guaranteeing me one higher place in the finishing order. And, since it looks like there are only 3 of us MARRS ITA drivers going (at this point anyway), I should be a shoe-in for a podium finish :023:

CYA this weekend.

JamesB
07-13-2006, 12:24 PM
hehehe, matt I have yet to warn him about me and spicey foods. And man does the bar at the Falls have good buffalo wings.

all told, I snore as much as matt or any other guy I know.

Racerboy03
07-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Does anybody know if they have showers at the track?

-Mark

mgyip
07-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Does anybody know if they have showers at the track?[/b]

I don't believe that WGI has showers. However the State Park (Watkins Glen) has a campground that has showers. I remember some folks (thankfully) visiting said State Park for about $15/car load to bathe - not together and not in the car but I hope you get the picture and not the visual. :D

dickita15
07-13-2006, 04:23 PM
there were brand new showers last year. they are in the outfield, too far to walk from the paddock and are coin operated. they are very nice. best 4 quarters I have spent in a long time.

tdw6974
07-13-2006, 07:50 PM
there were brand new showers last year. they are in the outfield, too far to walk from the paddock and are coin operated. they are very nice. best 4 quarters I have spent in a long time.
[/b]
SOMETIMES they forgot to turn the coin part on and they just work. So take your quarters but try the water first. :D

JLawton
07-14-2006, 07:24 AM
I should be a shoe-in for a podium finish :023:

CYA this weekend.
[/b]

Looks like someone is throwing down the gauntlet to the New England guys!! :lol:

(if I can't be there, I might as well stir the pot!)

JamesB
07-14-2006, 10:10 AM
I dont think he means overall podium, more like default podium since very few MARRS ITA drivers are registerd.

Greg Amy
07-15-2006, 09:06 PM
I need a room with two doubles, if anyone has anything available. Alternatively, Matt and I can split up into two different floors if necessary... - Greg

andrew240z
07-18-2006, 09:34 AM
If we arrive early will the track let us in to drop the trailer and then go to registration or do we have to register first?

JamesB
07-18-2006, 09:40 AM
I don't know if we can do that or not. But then last year we got there and reg was already open.

GA - I have a bed in a double since Earl is out due to the motor issue he is having. Grab a sleeping bag or a cot we can fit three.