PDA

View Full Version : why are there no focus / foci? Out there

iambhooper
07-11-2006, 07:47 AM
I have always thought that the focus would be an interesting IT ride. How come I never see any? Are they just not competetive? I see the the ZX3 is listed in ITA, at 2400 lbs. Is this too much weight for a car with more displacement than the CRX and about the same as the 1.8 Miata? I do notice that he wheel base is longer on the Ford.

I've always admired these cars in race trim, and thoguht that they would be a natural (and cheap) progression from the ITC Honda.

Thanks!

joeg
07-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Probably about 100lbs. overweight.

Otherwise, could be a neat USA alternative in ITA.

There are performance parts available, including diffs and the like.

RSTPerformance
07-11-2006, 09:24 AM
My brother wants to make one (or two) but I keep convincing him that the Audi's are fun :rolleyes: Unfortunatly they are getting tired so maybe within a year or two we will venture towards something else...

Raymond

Bildon
07-11-2006, 10:12 AM
If I wasn't doomed to drive VWs forever :P then I would seriouly consider a Focus.
At 2400 lbs I think it's fairly classed. You'll start to see them as the prices come down.
Autotrader has a whole bunch for around $3000.

There are some GREAT parts available for these cars out of Europe too. (Cosworth Zetec :023: )
Ford has supported some pretty cool Euro touring car programs that ran the Focus.

http://www.top10sport.de/service/desktop/images/osch1dpmI_bernhardt_1024.jpg

iambhooper
07-11-2006, 05:38 PM
the weight and displacement of these cars is close to that of the Nissan SE-R, as well as the 1.8 Miata. I believe everyone will agree that both of those cars are currently at the top of the wish list in ITA.

I could see price being a deterent for most... $3000 is a bit much to throw at a tub (when the cheaper Miata's are going for half that). I do like the idea of being able to go race an American car that is not a Fox chassis (no offense to those racing the Mustang, just not a fan of that particular chassis).

RobAP
07-12-2006, 01:02 PM
lost my password. been gone for a long while from reading this board, (work/money/location issues made me well...disappear...) and when i came back...i saw this post. its along my line of thought. i had to post about what i found regarding this. i think NASA beat us to it and have set up a Spec focus series so i think theres alot of the focus drivers possibly going over there. wit their rules, the spec focus cars are PASSING the spec miata guys. and also from those forums, alof of those nasa-SM guys are going to give SF a shot. the only disadvantages i can see for this car in IT is its solid front rotors and drum rears....but im not understanding the GCR where they mention discs as rears too. i dont know of a ZX3 with disc rears.

the focus has a great wheelbase and track considering the cars size and the engine in IT trim i honestly EXPECT to see 150+ crank HP. ford motorsport sells a 4.09 final for it too. my fiance has an automatic model and from working on it...well...i can take the door off in 5 minutes or less. replace a mirror in another 10. everythign is easy to find and change out. its just going to take one well prepared focus for everyone to turn their heads and say "what the? now i have to compete against that too??". however if i had a focus ready to be converted, i wouldnt know what series to run it in. i think thats always going to be a debate on both sides. BUT...over at NASA they've got contengincy (sp?) money from various people sponsoring ALL entrants regionally.

I think once the first few IT focii get rolled out of their respective garages, and impressions are made, youll see many more get built, if people want to cut up a $3-5k car. lord knows i want to badly. moneys good now so i think ill have to investigate this more instead of dreaming like i used to.

image from the "other sides" website on the new series:(look at the body parts they get to run)
http://specfocus.drivenasa.com/_T0I2379-F1.JPG

iambhooper
07-12-2006, 09:32 PM
interestinig that you mention NASA... i just had dinner with my father (who works for VIR) and mentioned to him about my thought of running a Focus, next... the first words out of his mouth were.... you should come to the NASA event at the end of the month. hmm????

again, this idea is a few years down the road. my interest is in something different and newer than the 20+ year old cars most of us are racing. don't get me wrong... i fully apreciate the bang for the buck that my honda brings me, or that the IT7 brings that crowd. i just think it would be nice to try something different. besides, i can't afford to run a bmw or a 944 in ITS.

RobAP
07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
the idea of this car is as well a year mabye two down the road for me too.
(I've got marrige, honeymoon, her assumption of non-increasing debt to pay for) but the plan is in action now.
i would suggest going to the event and checking out the times of the cars in the mid-pack. they get to run with:
170-175 hp,
spec but similar suspension,
+200 more pounds than IT allows.
and some fashionable body bits,
however its early on and i would think that the midpack cars would run comparable times to a prepped IT focus. And I would also suggest that the IT allowed suspension is better equipment than what they get (ive seen camber plates allowing -3+ deg. camber and a bolt in rear suspension sub-system allowing big changes back there too.) and since IT allows 200 lbs lighter weight, I'm starting to think that the IT focus might be as fast as their front runners....giving the appropriate ammount of corners and not all straightaways.....so...i guess they might cancel each other out possibly? i guess look at the mid-pack and see where they lap..compare to a front runner ITA to see where they stand...and go from there. thats what i'm gonna do next time they stop by the 'glen.

tderonne
07-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Couple somewhat random comments.

The two spec Focuses at Mid Ohio ran 3 seconds off the Spec Miatas, which are a few seconds off the ITA CRXs.

Spec Focus allows ANY Focus, 2.0, 2.0 SVT, 2.3, 2.0 Duratec. The 2.0 ITA legal car gets a ported head.

So an ITA illegal Focus can run a good ITB laptime, not a great starting point.

RobAP
07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
hmm...good points.
wich are contrary to what ive read in some other accounts of their performance. so it seems good and bad news is comming out from everytwhere.
however development is still new, So this will be interesting to see how things shape up over time.
i won't count them out. the SF is a handicapped ITA in my opinion. your saying an ITA illegal focus with 200 extra pounds and not-as-good-as-IT suspension in comparison can turn a good ITB laptime? i would agree with that. the power to weight ratio in both class configurations are close to the same in their respective trims. but one is lighter...and that lighter car will have better suspension....i would guess it would turn a better laptime with the same power to weight ratio.
speculation wont work. i understand that but I guess someone will have to dive in and see what happens and wind up proving it or not.
*shrug*

iambhooper
07-14-2006, 05:48 PM

The two spec Focuses at Mid Ohio ran 3 seconds off the Spec Miatas, which are a few seconds off the ITA CRXs.

Spec Focus allows ANY Focus, 2.0, 2.0 SVT, 2.3, 2.0 Duratec. The 2.0 ITA legal car gets a ported head.

[/b]

interesting? through the grape vine, i heard that there were a pair of Focus' (Focii, Focee??) in SS trim that ran off and left the Z4 a bit back. because i can't afford it, i have never looked at the rules for a SS car in comparison to IT trim.

i'll plan to go to VIR and watch the Fords. i'll try to time several different cars to get a feel for them.

RSme
07-17-2006, 02:52 AM
hey RobAP; the SVT zx3 uses rear disc brakes.

I've got a moderately tuned focus which I'd have to de-tune a bit to run in ITA, but am thinking about trying this in the next few years. My dad and i are playing with an mr2 ita and this way we could race in the same class. :cavallo:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ribbie78/realmr2.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h266/ribbiecox78/zx32.jpg

now that my focus is payed off it makes it i little less crazy... track days i've run the focus it holds it's own really well other higher hp cars:beaverun, nelson's ledges, gingerman

MIKEGTR
07-17-2006, 02:52 AM

[/b]

Yes but at what weight are they running the 2.0 Focus... to see if the ported head compares to a non-ported Focus @ 2400lbs???

More or less 200 lbs more... that's a lot of weight... i don't think a ported head can't overcome 200lbs weight penalty... can they use camberplates/coil overs?? i think the focus IS capable of running in the pack with ITA cars... since there are few or none running how much input can the CRB receive to make any competition adjustments... as what happened (in my case) with the ITA 325e which got a 200lb diet...

Mike

Ron Earp
07-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Wouldn't the Focus SVT make a good S car? It is 170hp stock, good brakes, and seems like it'd be a decent car for the FWD crowd in S. I don't know much about them, but it seems possible.

Ron

Andy Bettencourt
07-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Wouldn't the Focus SVT make a good S car? It is 170hp stock, good brakes, and seems like it'd be a decent car for the FWD crowd in S. I don't know much about them, but it seems possible.

Ron [/b]

Would anyone build one at say....2590 minimum with driver? :)

AB

Ron Earp
07-18-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't know.

I know I wouldn't build one, but that is simply because those cars that pull themselves around the track don't appeal to me. Now if it drove the right end I'd be interested! :D

RSTPerformance
07-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Would anyone build one at say....2590 minimum with driver? :)

AB
[/b]

Andy-

I am not looking at numbers but wanted to chime in and say that any focus might be a possability for us in say 1-2 years... If the #'s fit then get it classed!!! Those cars are plentiful in the "turner crowd" and even though it might not interest anyone here it might interest future potential members.

Raymond

DogDoc
07-18-2006, 10:12 PM
So does anyone know of anyone actually running a Focus in NASA spec trim or ITA? I have a SSC Focus that I bought for my wife which has been doing street duty since we got it mainly because we have/had too many other racecars. I have whittled down the heard to a ITB Audi Coupe GT and this SSC Focus. I want to convert the Focus to ITA spec and would be interested in finding out what spring rates and bars to use to make it work. Could go the Audi route but don't think it would work so well since he Focus is IRS. Anyone think of similar FWD IRS cars in IT spec?
Doug

RSTPerformance
07-19-2006, 07:43 AM
So does anyone know of anyone actually running a Focus in NASA spec trim or ITA? I have a SSC Focus that I bought for my wife which has been doing street duty since we got it mainly because we have/had too many other racecars. I have whittled down the heard to a ITB Audi Coupe GT and this SSC Focus. I want to convert the Focus to ITA spec and would be interested in finding out what spring rates and bars to use to make it work. Could go the Audi route but don't think it would work so well since he Focus is IRS. Anyone think of similar FWD IRS cars in IT spec?
Doug
[/b]

Doug-

I think that the Audi is proven and would be fun, but they are getting older and I have a gut feeling that it will soon start to get "outclassed" as newer cars come into the class. The Focus is a big mystery and could be good could be bad. Certainly would be fun to build one but I wouldn't get my hopes up on a victory as it could just "look good" on paper. From what I have sceen it has not been successful anyplace else in the racing world.

Raymond "Yes it currently is an option for us in the future" Blethen

pgipson
07-20-2006, 12:50 AM
One of the problems (?) with all the spec classes in NASA, including the Spec Focus, is their announced intention of moving all "undersubscribed" classes into the PT line up. I have asked twice on their forum what will constitute "undersubscribed" with no response yet. But you would have to think that at a minimum if you can't get enough cars to qualify for the mid-ohio race in September that would mean PT in 2007.

tophe7d
08-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Well, I dove in and mildly prepped an '01 ZX3. I've run 2 events with Midwestern Council this year. So far, so good. Not a front runner, but it still has a lot of ITA legal mods left to go (i.e. diff and final drive). Not to mention the engine is virtually stock with 117k on it and personally, I'm not the best driver to begin with. I still need more seat time... Who doesn't???

Spec Focus is not a good way to go. From the rules I've read and debated over with the SF Director, IMHO it's definitely a step below ITA. I talked with the SF Director extensively at the SEMA show last November and was not impressed with the direction of the class. They want it to be a step up from auto-crossing, acting as a steping stone into the W2W world of road racing. There are too many things to list in one post.

The rules can be found here:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Spec-Focus.pdf

Anyways, I don't plan on beating any Honda's anytime soon, but it drives sooooooooooooo much better than my old first gen Integra... Upgrade! :D

FYI: most of the Foci owners are auto-crossers. I'm one of only a handful of W2W racers on the Focaljet.

Bottom line, I'm very optimistic about the future.

[attachmentid=546]