PDA

View Full Version : Hankook Z214?

Marcus Miller
07-10-2006, 11:39 PM
According to my local go-fast-crack dealer:

The HANKOOK VENTUS Z-214 is the new kid on the block but has established itself as a true contender.
With a molded 4/32nd TWO GROOVE tread patten the Hankook Z-214 is a ringer for the look and performance of the HOOSIER R3s05 and R-6.
Competitors are reporting setting new records at tracks across the nation with the HANKOOK VENTUS Z-214 competition tire. As a competition tire we DO NOT RECOMMEND this tire be driven on the street. It is a true competition tire just as the Hoosier R-6 and AVON TECH R tires.
Hankook offers the Z214 in 2 to 3 compounds depending upon the size. The c70 is the softer compound providing instantly quick laps with little or no warmup. Excellent for Autocross or for someone wishing to set a new qualifying record! The c50 compound is considered the work horse of the Hankook line but don't think for a minute it is slow! The C-50 compound provides all around amazingly quick times lap after lap on road courses while showing very little wear. The Hankook Z-214 provides nearly the wear of the TOYO while performing like the Hoosier.
[/b]

Anyone tried them? I see Frisby is listing a 225/45/13...
I'm interested in wear, as this is for a long enduro...

Marcus

x-ring
07-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Wasn't there a thread on this here somewhere in the last couple of months?

jcmotorsports
07-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I run them on my SSC car and love them. I am going to run them on my RX7 next weekend at the Glen so I will have a full report on the tire after the weekend. I expect them to be fast.

07-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Well,

How were they?

jcmotorsports
07-17-2006, 02:53 PM
This weekend July 22,23

BMW RACER
07-17-2006, 03:32 PM
I bolted a set on for the Sunday race at Fontana a few weeks back. I liked them, I'd say they are very close to the Hoosier.

For the next race weekend my plan is to compare the new Hoosier and the Hankook. I'll keep you posted. Also I'll see if I can gather some info as far as heat cycles.

rsx858
07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Im excited to see how these tires hold up compared to the hoosier. I am a bit wary though as last time i tried to save money on tires, i tried a set of Avons with bad results. But so far the reviews are looking pretty positive for the Hankook. they are cheaper than hoosiers right?

jcmotorsports
07-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Not sure how they compare in price, because I haven't looked at Hoosiers since 2004. The Hankooks are NOT a cheap alternative. Hankook are very FAST tires with a good life. The Hoosier MAY(cannot be confirmed with me because I haven't run them on my Civic I can only compare to other drivers at the same skill level) be faster for a lap, but over the race length the Hankook is much faster. This weekend at Watkins Glen I will be able to compare the difference with Goodyear because I ran Goodyears on the car since I started racing. I also ran the old Hoosiers S04's which I didn't care for.

jcmotorsports
07-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Well here is the report that everybody is waiting for!!!!
I ran the Hankook Z214 at the Glen this past weekend and had a great race on them. The turn in on this tire is very crisp with great feel. The tire is very predictable and durable. I pounded the tire running back through the field after starting last and they look perfect. They did not go away at all having the same grip on lap one as they did at the end.
As far as lap times go I cannot accurately compare them to the Goodyear GSCS because I did not have clear track for the entire race with heavy traffic and rolling road blocks that were extremely fast in a straight line and parked in the corners and could not really run a true HOT lap as I was able to do in the past with the Goodyears.
Overall, I believe the tire is better than anything I have run on the rx7 and would recommend other trying the tire.

rsx858
07-25-2006, 08:44 AM
hey John, thanks for stoppin by in grid, im glad to hear the tires worked out as well as they did. Just for clarification which compound were you running? there are two right. The Hankooks are almost 20 bucks cheaper per tire in my size than the hoosier and i think they have a decent regional contengincy program. If they are that fast i might be switching tires!

jcmotorsports
07-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Matt
I ran on the C50 compound Z214. If I do run the car again I may try the C70 compound (which is softer), but I would recommend the C50 at this point because the C70 may not wear as well because it is softer.
The tire is definately FAST!

Fastfred92
07-25-2006, 11:52 AM
The soft compound works just fine, I have used them several times on a heavy fwd SSB car at Roebling ( terrible on tires, ask the Mini guys ) with no drop off and very reasonable wear. I have been preaching the Hankook line for 2 years now, still sold..

Bildon
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Interesting. Who has the best prices and will ship affordably?
Where can I find a complete size list? I see very little in 15"

jcmotorsports
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Bill
Call Joe Spect at The tire Shoppe in Birdsboro PA. The number is 1-800-832-3579X127. Give the tirea a try I think you will be VERY satisfied!!!!!!!!
For the sizes check www.hankooktireusa.com
What size do you run? I run the 205/50/15 on my honda and 225/45/15 on the RX7. Like I said before I run the C50 compound.

bldn10
07-28-2006, 06:32 PM
I ordered a set of 225-45-15s yesterday from Aim Tire for $150 each - best price.

ITS51RX7
07-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Bill,
When is your next race, please give us an update. It sure would be nice to save almost $200 on every tire bill :D

bldn10
08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
My first experience w/ Hankook has not been a good one. A few days after ordering a set of tires I was informed that there were only 2 245-45-15s in the country. :bash_1_: Canceled and reserved a set of Hoosiers.

ITS51RX7
08-10-2006, 08:46 PM
That's not a good sign for anybody that is currently using this tire :wacko:

midngn
08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I used the Z214's for Sprint Races at Summit Point druing NASA Hyperfest. Lasted the whole weekend. Now that is me doing all practice, qualifying and race for two days. Plus my wife drove the car in HPDE. Tire felt faster than any tire I used before. So I left them on the car and raced at VIR, once again 2 days of practice, qualifying and racing, once again, wife drove HPDE both days. I let my brother in law borrow the car for LRP for 2 days and the tires were finally starting to go away. They are way faster than the RA1 and don't fall off like a Hoosier. They gripped better then the Kumho. This is on a Nissan 240SX.

These tires are fantastic. Availabilty is an issue at times because they did not predict the tire would take off and get such demand.

Yes I do work for the company, but they are nonetheless a great tire.

lateapex911
08-11-2006, 05:10 PM
So how many heat cycles is that?? And what are the lap time vs the hoosiers?