PDA

View Full Version : WGI July 22-23

R2 Racing
07-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm thinking about making the drive up from Columbus up to WGI for this event but I have a couple of questions. Is this only a single regional? That's what I'm getting from the posted schedule but even that's a little wierd. Here it is:
http://www.glen-scca.org/roadracing/2006/J..._2006_Supps.pdf (http://www.glen-scca.org/roadracing/2006/July_Sprints_2006_Supps.pdf)

So I'm reading this as Saturday is just two 12 minute qualifying sessions and that's it, correct? Then Sunday is just one 11 lap race? I sure hope not because damn, that's a long drive for me to only get about an hour of track time. Maybe it's due to the NINE run groups. :119: I really hope someone can tell me different because I was really looking forward to running there. But if this is the case, I don't know if I'd come.....probably not. Thanks for any info.

dazzlesa
07-10-2006, 09:05 AM
it sounds like what we get

JamesB
07-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Nope thats about accurate.

erlrich
07-10-2006, 09:57 AM
So I'm reading this as Saturday is just two 12 minute qualifying sessions and that's it, correct? Then Sunday is just one 11 lap race? I sure hope not because damn, that's a long drive for me to only get about an hour of track time. Maybe it's due to the NINE run groups. :119: I really hope someone can tell me different because I was really looking forward to running there. But if this is the case, I don't know if I'd come.....probably not. Thanks for any info. [/b] Isn't that pretty typical for a single race weekend? I know for the MARRS races we get two 15-minute qual sessions on Sat., then a 16-lap race on Sun. The race usually runs around 25 minutes, which is probably pretty close to what what 11 laps at WGI will take.

I know where you're coming from - I will be coming from central VA, probably a 7-hour tow; and after hearing the stories of some of last year's races (I think one of the groups got 4 or 5 green laps with all the FCYs) I am still not totally committed to going. But, with so few MARRS drivers doing this event it's gonna be hard to pass up the chance to pick up the extra points.

R2 Racing
07-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Isn't that pretty typical for a single race weekend?[/b]
I guess I wouldn't know since I haven't done a single in years. But even when we use to have them on occasion, the races were still up in the 45 minutes long range. But I don't think 11 laps at WGI (on the long course) will even take 30. Now granted, it's cheap at $225 but still, that's about a 7.5 hour tow for an hour on track. Crap, and there's no way I could make the September WGI event instead. :(

lateapex911
07-10-2006, 12:38 PM
The problem at the Glen, (and experts can correct me) from what I've seen, is that the laps are so long that the in lap and out laps take a ton of time, but don't really count. And yeah, nine groups runs into issues with start and end curfews, plus the size of the place makes lunch longer just due to worker logistics. So theres a finite amount of track time available.

Then there's the Glen policy of whole course yellow if there's a support vehicle on the track, and the policy of removing stranded cars....which combined means that it's pretty likely that your race will see a full course yellow. I understand that the Glen management has a person in race control and he can tell the CS what to do.

Welcome to NASCAR, LOL.

(I should point out that some of this info is observational, the rest has been related to me, so I wouldn't swear to it in court. Feel free to correct me)

joeg
07-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Jake's observations are about correct.

The only way to preserve your track time is if everyone in the group keeps it on the track. Otherwise, it will be black-flag-all in the practiecs and double yellows in the race.

It would be nice if the Supps contained that caveat in about 30-point type.

Despite the length of the tow, you do want to try it!

Dave Ebersole
07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to run the NASCAR course for warmup and cool-down? You really don't need cones there; everyone knows the course, and you can have one volunteer / spotter to make sure no one runs the short course during the race. It would be obvious in lap times anyway.

RSTPerformance
07-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to run the NASCAR course for warmup and cool-down? You really don't need cones there; everyone knows the course, and you can have one volunteer / spotter to make sure no one runs the short course during the race. It would be obvious in lap times anyway.
[/b]

I think that is an excelent idea at least for the first lap of each session and/or the warm up lap for a race. I am not so sure that it would work for the cooldown lap as you may have cars still on the roadcourse and the merging traffic could be dangerouse. Having al altered track though would not be unfamiliar to SCCA as it would sorta be similar to NER events at NHIS where we run an altered course (NASCAR Turn 3 &4) for starts in races. It isn't done to save time but rather to have the group in "good formation" for the starts. Time in is far more important than group formation IMO. You might even be able to use the short course for pace car laps also especially once the track has been cleared for Green Flag.

Interesting idea!!!

One step further would be for morning warmups that are used to "shake down" problems with the car. While it would be nice to run a full track it might help save time.

Raymond

JamesB
07-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I will be there, somewhere in the back of the pack. still having issues with the car.

R2 Racing
07-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Despite the length of the tow, you do want to try it![/b]
Well, I have been to WGI twice in an ITC car (I actually use to hold the ITC record there) so it's not like I've never tried it before. But I just want to try it in my Integra since I think it would do well there. The idea of only getting an hour of track time though, with a good shot at that being cut down pretty drastically, isn't very comforting when trying to decide if I want to come or not.

Bildon
07-10-2006, 09:54 PM
>>everyone knows the course

You have no idea how many times I have come arounf the chute loop at full tilt expecting to run full steam down into the boot only to find a row of cones in my way :o

OK so maybe I only did this once and maybe I should not admit this ;)
The point is...you need to have 1 course and only 1 course for safety.

RSTPerformance
07-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Bill-

I would think the same as you if I hadn't been around for a while at NHIS experiencing the way they run the starts. I think in all the years (maybe 4 or 5) that they have doing the altered course thier has been 1 incident/accident. If officials are clear how it will be done in the supps and in drivers meetings and if drivers pay attention then it should work fine.

Jist my opinion... to each our own.

Raymond

Greg Amy
07-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Kevin, don't be a p***y and show up. I've got a 6+ hour tow, and I haven't raced on the track since the summer of 1992. Love to see you again, and give me another chance to keep you from doing those DEMON braking passes...

<grin>

Greg

R2 Racing
07-11-2006, 08:22 AM
....and give me another chance to keep you from doing those DEMON braking passes...[/b]
You can&#39;t stop them Greg, you can only hope to contain them. :cavallo:

I don&#39;t know, I&#39;m still thinking about it. I hate to say that I&#39;m leaning towards "probably not" right now.

jcmotorsports
07-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Well I will be there with my ITS car only. That decision was made for me by the tire wall exiting the bus stop :( (Sorry Raymond :D )

RSTPerformance
07-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Well I will be there with my ITS car only. That decision was made for me by the tire wall exiting the bus stop :( (Sorry Raymond :D )
[/b]

Its ok... With last weekends lack of performance by the old Audi&#39;s I think we are out for the Glen... Need 2 new motors and new struts... $$$$ Hoping to have them rebuilt for the Lime Rock event. We are trying to Win the NARRC championship and we still have a good lead. With so many different "Top dogs" in ITB this year things are well balanced, and with the wet races early on in the season we got a good jump on the points, and might still be able to hold on to the lead... we shall see!!!

Raymond

Bildon
07-18-2006, 09:48 AM
>> Hoping to have them rebuilt for the Lime Rock event.

You never emailed me. If still need help locating new struts, gimme a shout.