PDA

View Full Version : NHIS weekend

BobsAuto
07-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Does anyone know how Victor in the BMW is? I heard when I was leaving the track today that he was transported to the hospital. Is that true? If so, I'd like to know if he was admitted because I will be on the hospital campus tomorrow and will run up to see him.

Doc Bro
07-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Bob,

I talked to Noam Levine after the race (he paddocks with Victor). Victor was wiggling everything and was going to the hospital for the routine checks. Initial assessment was good

I'll speak for everyone....

Victor we all hope you're well.

R

lateapex911
07-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Whats going on?? I read the roof had to be cut off??

Fill me in somebody! Please! Victor who, BTW? (Gangi?? I thought he was in a Acura, or was he going to rent a Flatout car?)

Anyone else involved??

dyoungre
07-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Don't know much - he (Gangi)went off on lap 6 (I think) on the outside of the bowl and hit full frontal into the tires surrounding a tree. They cut the roof so that they could put him on a board. From what I heard, the roof was the least of the damage, as the engine was pretty well imprinted into the firewall.

13 lap ITA race, 7 1/2 of which was under full course caution. It was impressive that he was on the board and off the track before we saw the checker. The way the flags initially fell, I have a feeling they had no idea the extent of the impact until the ambulance arrived at the car.

I saw a white prod car stopped at the scene, but don't know if he was involved or stopped to help - I'm guessing the latter.

Doc Bro
07-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes Jake it was Victor Gangi in the HMS Acura. I didn't correct Bob in my first post. It seems as though he hit quite hard and yes they did slice through the A pillars and roof and cage to get him out. I saw the car at tech and unfortunately it is pretty much a write off. Very unfortunate given Memorial day. I do believe the white GTL Nissan was involoved as he left on the hook as well.

On another note it was very, VERY, interesting what happened in the corner stations. Coming down the hill we got a white flag. I passed Anthony [Ruddy] in the confusion. I radiod to Dad that I passed him under the yellow and then I gave the spot back. I watched the tape thinking I missed the yellow and realized there was never a yellow. Let me get this right...a car off course....a hard hit....potential for injury...an ambulance on course....a gaggle of cars fighting for position....and only a white flag? Anthony, you owe me 16th position!! :D

Seriously,

Victor post soon let us all know you're okay!!!

R

Tkczecheredflag
07-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I think I will let Victor share what he wants regarding his health but I believe he is being observed overnight at the hospital. I beleive he will be okay but did sustain "serious enough" injury for observation.

I came through the bowl and saw Victor in the tire wall. There was no dust in the air so I beleive he was there for a bit already. I glanced over and it seemed like his head was upright and I thought okay. The white GTL arrived after the incident and I do not believe he was involved but not sure. I can't offer much more.

Jake - Victor was in the 03 Integra. The car apperaed trashed - roof and cage cut open at the mid "A" pillars. No one seems to know what happened.

Did anyone see the incident?

Doc Bro
07-09-2006, 10:38 PM
On a very light hearted aside....congratulations Andy on your first ITA win. It's such a lame way to pick up a win but.....

In any case....I hope you remember the bet you and I had. You were drunk so I'll refresh.

You said that you would pick up 10 wins before my first win or season end whichever comes first......so far I'm winning!!!!

I can't believe you were dumb enough to wager a G note on it, but, you all heard it here... Any way thanks for the fuel filter to keep me in the "hunt". I'll replace it soon enough.

Also, thanks to Dan and Dave Maynard...you guys kept my weekend alive. I wish I could help you guys as much as you have consistently helped me. I hate to say the next root canal is on me but....if need be.

R

Andy Bettencourt
07-09-2006, 10:55 PM
First, we all wish Victor the best.

Second, since I don't don't drink that bet seems a little fishy! :)

Thanks to my crew dog Forrest for all his help with the replacement of a nicely warped cylinder head on Saturday night so we could go from pole to a win.

AB

Doc Bro
07-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Second, since I don't don't drink that bet seems a little fishy! :)

AB
[/b]

I didn't have the heart to disclose your crack problem...so I just labeled it "alcohol".... please forgive!!!

Anyway.............

(PS. Vic and I just got in and we've had a couple.....poetic licensure rules are in effect....proceed with caution)

R

BobsAuto
07-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I really thought it was a Bimmer....that's how trashed the car was from where we were paddocked. I will be up on the hospital grounds tomorrow and will stop in and see Victor. BTW, this is Trish posting. Bob doesn't use the computer as he would hit the wrong button and delete it. He's SO computer illiterate. :024: :( So, I do all the writing. Thanks for the updates, guys. :D

Magical Trevor
07-10-2006, 12:14 AM
More NHIS IT problems?

Cue the Simpsons collar pull...

Sorry to hear about this; I planned to be there this weekend but the family was being a pain and I couldn't get a car to use.

lateapex911
07-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Man, thats a bummer about Victor....as if he hasn't been roughed up enough this young season. I'm encouraged that the reports are optimistic. Strange place for an incident like that to a car like his and guy like him....I imagine some mechanical failure like a struck throttle could be a likely scenario, but thats absolute pure speculation on my part. Glad to hear that it was essentially a one car incident, and the resolution appears to be good from a health standpoint, although I feel bad about the car.

Congrats Andy!!!!! So much for your "no way at NHIS" comments!!! So.....tell me about that ITA Fiero concept! ;)

Lets hear more when we get the good word about Victor tomorrow.

JLawton
07-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Hope Victor is doing OK...........He certainly has had a rough season.............

Thanks to my crew dog Forrest for all his help with the replacement of a nicely warped cylinder head on Saturday night so we could go from pole to a win.

AB
[/b]

OK, spill the details.........

RaceSmart
07-10-2006, 07:17 AM
[b]Just wanted to add our wishes also to Victor to be feeling better soon! Please let us know if theres anything we can do besides keep sending good thoughts your way....

Bob Smart
Northeast Racing Enterprises

Andy Bettencourt
07-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Hope Victor is doing OK...........He certainly has had a rough season.............

OK, spill the details......... [/b]

Well, with no Greg there the 28 car ITA field was rightfully optimistic. We did a full day test and had shown some serious speed with the new springs, rear bar and 4.3 rear gear. We ran about 6 sessions.

Sat morning we had a small hose pop off during qual and overheated the motor in 3 laps - it happened so fast I just didn't notice as I was trying to keep the car under me. She died in turn 9. Ran around town and found a new head gasket only to find that the head was severly warped.

Forrest ran back to FOM HQ, took the head off of our 1.8 crate motor in the 91 rental car, and we put that on (as the block and pistons seemed fine). It ran about 1:30am.

We timed it in the morning and went to qual on pole (key is getting out first) by a decent margin. I was in P2 as Megliola's FP car was in P1 - Hunter was on crap tires in Qual so he was a little back, Brandon had fried a motor in the Sat race so he had a new one (they did an all night thrash as well) and it was down on power - and Tim K was right there.

BUT - two EP cars in between me/Tim and Hunter/Brandon. This allowed me to run some clean laps and get away. I had the whole front straight on ITA when the double yellow came out for Gangi's accident. The race ended under yellow. I think we raced for 7 laps.

In clear traffic, the car is excellent!

AB

dazzlesa
07-10-2006, 08:12 AM
congrats andy. i hope victor is well.

zracre
07-10-2006, 08:45 AM
First I hope Victor is ok...hate to see that kind of incident...second good job Andy...I guess a SM spec head is good to make ITA power! (some secrets revealed :rolleyes: ) Where was GA? How doi you think the Miata would have done against the NX?

Andy Bettencourt
07-10-2006, 09:13 AM
First I hope Victor is ok...hate to see that kind of incident...second good job Andy...I guess a SM spec head is good to make ITA power! (some secrets revealed :rolleyes: ) Where was GA? How doi you think the Miata would have done against the NX? [/b]

My spec head came right off of a crate motor... :D Honestly, the only differences in the units would have been the extra .5 of compression (what is that worth?) and intake and exhaust port match. I am betting it isn't much.

Greg was/is on vacation. No real way to tell but he beat us so bad earlier this year (track record, a pole and 3 race wins with NO competition) that we are all fighting for second. The lap times I was running in practice would have me close but in a race I could never turn those times if he was in front of me.

benspeed
07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
ANDY! Way to go, dude. Nice to see you in P1 with the HUGE amount of time, money and effort. A winning effort off the track makes for a winner on the track.

I hope to see you at the Glenn to garner more points and give GA a run for the championship. I'll hopefully be there sorting out the stock car. Repairs are done and I pick it up in NC this week.

Victor - hope you are OK and will be back with a new ride. My neck is now finally healed after a month from the wreck I had at LRP. Glad I was wearing a HANS like you were.

Cheers,

Ben

almracing
07-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I got to speak to Victor's wife last evening. I first let her know that his fellow racers were all thinking about him. As Tim said, Victor can provide more public details but he was kept overnight for observation. He can move everything and was doing well. Victor does wear a HANS so I suspect that helped quite a bit. I hope to hear from him or his wife sometime today.

Kudos to the safety crews. It was amazing to see how they got him out of the car... and how quickly.

There seemed to be quite a bit of confusion about the flags for a few laps after Victor's incident. I am sure there will be some discussion about that.

Rob --- I was looking forward to battling with you on Sunday. It was alot of fun racing with you guys (and gals) in the Miata. I am so used to making passes using the gas pedal. The Miata forced me to play around with lines, drive alot smoother, and get used to a rear wheel drive car.

The Flatout guys were fun to rent from. They kept pretty busy on Saturday with Andy's car... so luckily my car stayed running and in one piece for my part of the weekend B) .

WillM
07-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Victor, I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. I've just started running with the SCCA this year, but met you years ago at a COM event. In any event, here's looking forward to a full and speedy recovery.

Congratulations Andy on taking top honors on Sunday. :D

This was my 3rd weekend running ITA, and despite a not-so-great weekend, I've had a ton of fun meeting and racing with you guys. This is the first weekend that I've noticed a good collection of EP cars in our group. They definitely made my weekend, shall we say, more "interesting". :unsure:

Oh, and apologies for my fumble in T3 on Saturday. Broke too late? Track a bit greasy? Probably a bit of both. In any event, Dick's fender and my left rear wheel bet unexpectedly, which resulted in a pirouette at the exit of 3. Glad nobody else was collected. (insert blushing-red embarrassed smilie face here).

Cheers,

Will
#72 ITA Miata
1.6 liters of furious power!

Tkczecheredflag
07-10-2006, 11:43 AM
As the picture continues to improve for Victor I wanted to congratulate Ritchie H and Andy B for their victories on Saturday and Sunday. Truth be told Rithie was ready take P-2 on Sunday to feed me my lunch just before the "full yellow" came out. Tried to press the issue with Hunter on Saturday with Andy's absence but got too hot in T3 followed by some back markers and I just couldn't get back to his TEG. Andy got a good jump Sunday and was not within my reach (a full straight away??? - which one), for the first five laps. Congrats to both - Nicely done. :happy204: :happy204: No more excuses about cutting my teeth on the TEG. She was fun to drive, drift and slide - I seem to be getting a little more confident with the new ride. We'll keep on tryin'. :D

We will keep Victor in our thoughts and prayers.

RKramden
07-10-2006, 12:22 PM
1: It wasn't "some tires in front of some trees", it was some tires in front of the concrete Jersey barrier in front of the trees. A Jersey barrier that was hit so hard it was knocked over on it's back side. (Or is that the "front" side?) That the barrier was knocked over wasn't initially know, IIRC. I remember the comment about the barrier being moved, but not how much. From the local flaggers location (other side of the track), they may not have been able to tell it had been flipped over.

2: It was first called in as an Emergency because of the hard hit. The next call form the flagger on the corner was that Victor had signalled he was OK but the car was bent enough that the doors were jammed and could not be opened. The initial response was to deal with what was known. (Driver OK but trapped in a bent up car.) The call was downgraded because the driver had signaled he was OK. Initial response was, I think, "Mountain Rescue" (which I understand has a set of "jaws") and an ambulance because it was a hard hit. Things called as a hard hit get an ambulance to take the driver to in-field medical even if the driver says they are OK.

2a. The fact that the Jersey barrier was flipped over wasn't known until the flagger from the other side of the bowl ran with a fire extinguisher all the way around the outside of the bowl. A fire extinguisher that weighs about 1/4th of her entire weight. And, yes, that worker was "Alice".

3: After a few minutes, Victor called his crew over their radio and said he was injured and they went to tell the pit lane ambulance, hence the very rapid upgrade in response. (Second rescue truck, second ambulance, wrecker, tilt bed, etc.)

4: The checker was thrown with a few minutes on the clock because there was only time to have one race lap at the end, if that, but certainly not enough time for two laps. Yet another lap under yellow was kind of pointless.

BobsAuto
07-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Just came from seeing Victor at the hospital. He said to tell you all thank you for all the good wishes, etc. He expects to go home tonight with a back brace. The Hahns certainly made a difference. His injuries would have been MUCH worse, had he not had it. He's in no pain, without pain killers :D and has belt bruises, bruises and a cut on his shin and two cracked vertebrae - V1 and T12, I think he said. He will be back as a worker as soon as he gets the ok. He's in good spirits. And they are taking excellent care of him at Concord Hospital. Even let his wife sleep in the room last night.
Trish

grippy
07-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Glad to hear Victor is going to be OK. I was about 4 cars behind him and just about at the trackout of 6 when I saw him in the gravel and then hit the tires. I could tell it was a pretty hard impact, but was past before I could see if he was OK. I didn't see anyone ahead of me driving offline. Does anyone have any idea what the cause was? Was there any contact with another car or maybe a mechanical failure?

This was only my first weekend since the spring school. It has been educational racing with you guys.

Congrats to Andy on his win, he was GONE after the first few laps.

Gordon
#10 ITA

WIZARD Racing
07-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Great to hear that Victor is ok. It'll be better when I get to give him a 'point by' when he's lapping me (like most front runners) in his next race.

During the school in April I walked with a group during Sat lunch time. When we got to the top of the bowl Dick P and myself were talking about how the track had removed the jersey barriers that made a wall that extended off of the other barriers and past the trees. During THAT conversation we knew that someone would eventually hit the tree. From a safety standpoint I think the SCCA needs to talk to the track about putting that wall back for road course racing.

Victor, get well fast!

RSTPerformance
07-10-2006, 05:38 PM
First and most important... I am glad to get the reports on Victor. I am glad that he is ok. I have enjoyed watching him on track chasing down the front guys. He has always from my vantage point been one of the "cleanest" racers on the track. Unfortunately this year has been tough on him. I hope for a speedy recovery and in a new car soon!!!

As for the rest of the weekend (Victor we cant give you all the thunder from race reports can we B) )...

We had an outstandingly horrible results weekend. Up to this point this season we have had a lot of success, however neglecting the cars for a couple races really showed.

Pre Gaming-

We bought a 45' two car enclosed trailer from Phil who is a long time racing supporter of a few of our favorite "famous" drivers such as Eric Curran as well as Stef Funk and the rival Ed Funk. Many other race cars have been hauled with the trailer in its long history, maybe we should ask Phil for more of the history. At any rate the trailer is friggen awesome IMO and fits our needs perfectly. It needed some TLC as it had not been used for a little while and so we decided to give it some fresh paint and redo a few other odds and ends inside to better suit our needs as a storage facility as well as shop at and away from the track. The outside has not been painted however I think we have secured sponsorship from a company who would like to see their logo on the outside. The deal would be that they will pay to have it painted!!! Sweet deal for us, and once it does happen we will certainly post the business name in hopes that all will support them. Anyway long story cut short we spent a lot of time working on the trailer instead of the race cars. I have to give props to Phil as he went over and above to really help us out with the trailer making it feasible for us to get the trailer and continue racing this season. Our TLC went a little overboard as we really found ourselves enjoying the new "toy." We certainly found you can spend a lot of time on things even though you have no money to spend!!! Phil I think you will like it when you get a chance to see it!!!

Race # 1-

On Saturday the Canadian's (Derek and Rob) came down and kicked @$$. They qualified blistering fast and were able to maintain a great pace through the races. I was running in 3rd place (I think) trying desperately to hold of Derek when I went off in turn 12. The car launched off the "hole" and flew across the motorcycle chicane. Derek estimates that I was about 3-3.5 feet off the ground. When the car landed it "pancaked" the bottom and the fuel regulator (located in line between the fuel pump and the engine) ripped off the car resulting in the fuel pump simply pumping fuel onto the ground. Luckily for me no fires but I was out of the race on lap 4. My brother gave them a run for the money swapping positions with close side-by-side action but about 3/4 the way through the race we had our first ever real motor failure (We did have 3 motor failures in our drivers school and first ever race 6 years ago, but since then we have never had any issues even when overheating the engine). Somehow Stephen blew a head gasket between the 4th and 5th cylinder as the car overheated to the point where it ceased the motor. The engine heated up so much that the header cracked (thus the loud noises). Every time we have ever "overheated" the motors before they always blew a radiator line someplace, not sure why this didn’t happen this time. Also the water temp only read 240 which is hot but we have run that high before. With him out Rob and Derek ran away with first and second. Tim Mullen maintained an excellent pace for a very solid third place. The rest of the field was a blast to watch from the outside of turn 1 as position changes were occurring lap after lap.

Saturday Night/Sunday Morning-

After the race was over we decided to change Stephens’s entire motor. The only issue that we had is that we did not have a complete motor assembly to put in, so we had to build one at the track using parts from the motor coming out of the car. This is a huge undertaking in any car never mind an Audi. HUGE props go out to our crew for staying up with us till 4:00am in the morning to finish the job. After we were done some of us slept in the trailer for 2 hours while others just jumped in the front seat of their trucks... Family & Friends brought in a change of clothes in the AM. Another HUGE prop goes once again to Northeast Racing - Bob Smart who came over just to say hi (mistake on his part :rolleyes: ) and ended up helping for over an hour get the motor and tranny to line up. From other posts it sounds like others were up most of the night as well, we feel your pain, still today ;). Unfortunately we were the first race group and because we did all the work at the track we were unable to test the car to see if it would start until it was basically time to go to grid. As suspected the car didn't start. I went out for qualifying and did ok, considering the cars condition. While I was out on track the crew continued to work on Stephens’s car. They discovered a short while after the qualifying was over that I had not connected a vacuum line, thus the car was not getting any fuel. With that fixed hopes were up as Stephen would just start from the back. Once again bad luck struck after all this work when Stephen went to start the car again he had a hard time and when investigating he found that they had no oil pressure. With that they called it quits and he decided to watch from the sidelines. It was very frustrating as it was hours and hours of work and he wasn't able to race. In the end though we did learn a few things; don’t carry a spare engine; it’s not worth changing by itself. Carry a complete spare engine/tranny and everything else that goes with it assembly and do a simple full swap.

Race # 2-

All the bad luck has to have passed right??? sure :-P

The start was a bit messed up.. Did anyone else notice that the right lane seemed to have fewer cars? I thought I was gridded next to Tim Mullen and the next thing I know he looked to be 3 rows ahead of me and I was sitting next to people I didn’t expect? Anyway not sure what happened there but it was a bit disturbing… When the green flag dropped we were as per the usual 4 or 5 wide going down into turn 1. I had visions from April ITA race as I was way down on the inside so I played a bit cautious but still ran right down onto the apron and passed quite a bit of cars. Going into 3 I passed a few more and I was happy to be in 4th place. I was right on Tim Mullen’s tail trying to chase him down as I watched an amazing battle brew between the Canadian’s for 1st & 2nd. As the race progressed my car got more and more ill handling. The car got a huge push on left hand turns almost to the point where it wouldn’t turn anymore. Jim Mc Mahon, Eli Garrett, and Tom Kelly were gaining on me rapidly and I tried to hold them off, running side by side with Jim for 3 laps or so. With about 3 laps to go the car didn’t turn in 12 and I went almost straight off this time in turn 12 with another wild airborne ride. It was certainly exciting for a second until I realized that I had almost no control at all and I was heading head on for the turn 4 NASCAR wall. It is amazing how no matter how hard you hit the brakes the car won’t stop if you are in the air. The car landed on the bottom of the nose, which unfortunately is where the oil pan is located for all those that don’t know Audi’s. The oil pan got crushed and most likely broke the oil pump pickup. In addition to that the Camber plates got bent up to about the hood. The car shut off immediately upon impact and will not restart… Not sure exactly what is wrong and it will probably suck to fix. During that same lap Eli tried running the oval full throttle and had the same results Matt did and smacked the outside wall in turn 2 ending his race. Derek and Rob went off for the win with Tim Mullen solidly in third again. Jim McMahon finished 4th and Tom Kelly finished off the top 5.

So in the end for us we broke 2 maybe 3 motors and we broke some suspension resulting in 3 DNF’s and a DNS… But we had some excellent pulled pork at the “pig roast” and we had a blast!!! It was great to see everyone and we are looking forward to the next race!!!

Raymond “Tired” Blethen

PS: I would like to once again thank the crew for all the dedication as well as Northeast Racing-Bob Smart for his help late Saturday night. I am sure you all know the best place to get your Hoosier tires as well as your welding done!!!

RKramden
07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
>>> The car shut off immediately upon impact and will not restart… Not sure exactly what is wrong and it will probably suck to fix.

Silly question:

Do you still have the frontal impact shutoff switch in the wiring harness?

RSTPerformance
07-10-2006, 06:06 PM
>>> The car shut off immediately upon impact and will not restart… Not sure exactly what is wrong and it will probably suck to fix.

Silly question:

Do you still have the frontal impact shutoff switch in the wiring harness?
[/b]

Not sure if the car came with one. Will check it out though!!! Thanks

Raymond

biovic
07-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi all, from all your support and the well wishes, this is a terrific community!

As Tish mentioned, I have 2 compression fractures on my spine, the T12 and L1 vertebrae, and they are stable (not protruding (for now) into my nerves). I have bruising on my sternum and light bruising on my shoulders, from the HANS yoke and belts respectively. Small cut (2 stitches) in my left shin (dashboard likely). Slight soreness in neck/shoulder muscles, which I strongly feel could have been very very serious if I weren't wearing a HANS. I'm doing ok, I can walk and wiggle all my extremeties. I have a back/torso brace which I'll have to wear for 6 weeks, and am on bed rest for a week or so.

So what happened? I'm not sure. Will talk later when I'm rested.
Thanks for all your well wishes, special thanks to the whole crew at BB Racing, Noam Levine and I'm sure many others for packing up my car and stuff.
Regards,
Victor Gangi

Racerboy03
07-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Glad to hear you are ok Victor, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

-Mark C.

RSTPerformance
07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Victor-

Glad to see you are doing well and you were able to make it home!!! I am sure that I can speek for everyone... If you need ANYTHING at all let us or someone know, we will all miss you and your car until you are back!!!

Raymond

16v
07-10-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm very glad to hear you're ok Victor.

This image was sent to me Sunday night, I think it illustrates the severity of the impact.

Greg Amy
07-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Vic, I was HORRIFIED when I first got word via telephone that you were injured last Sunday. I am ELATED to hear that you're (reasonably) OK. You're in my thoughts, man; speedy recovery.

Greg

dickita15
07-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Victor, thank you for posting. I as well as everyone else here is very happy it was not worse, although I certainly don’t envy you spending the next six weeks in that brace.

Add me to the list of people you can call if you need anything at all.

As to the cause of the incident, this is admittedly 3rd hand, but I was told that a driver in the next race group commented about you skid marks. He said there were three straight dark marks and one wobbly one. Makes me wonder if something broke. I drove by the incident 10 times but did not notice that but I guess I was paying more attention to the progress of the extrication crew.

ulfelder
07-11-2006, 07:09 AM
I'm all for bucolic charm and an unspoiled landscape and all that good stuff, but is it perhaps time to take a look at the back side of NHIS and ask ourselves why there are bleepity-bleepin' trees :o in the path of our bleepity-bleepin' race cars (not to mention motorcycles)?

Steve U
05 ITS
Flatout Motorsports

R2 Racing
07-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Victor, it's good to hear from you and that you're doing ok, all things considered. I had an accident several years ago that resulted in a couple of cracked vertebrae, a plate in my neck, and a neck brace for seven weeks. That wasn't a whole lot of fun, but I came out of it just fine after giving it some time.

Andy, congratulations on the win!

Ok, after this and watching Joey Hand's accident at Mid Ohio a couple of weeks ago, I'm going to get off my ass and stop putting off getting a head and neck restraint system.

dazzlesa
07-11-2006, 08:41 AM
kevin get off your ass!

Raceman77
07-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Glad to hear you are doin well Victor.
As to the incident where was the #51 GTL when this occured? I had heard he blew his gear box or something. Maybe hit some oil?

nlevine
07-11-2006, 10:51 AM
special thanks to the whole crew at BB Racing, Noam Levine and I'm sure many others for packing up my car and stuff.
[/b]

Victor - Glad you're out of the hospital and on the road to recovery.

BIG kudos to the whole community (I must admit I had only a very small role in helping get everything together after the race) - people showed up, packed gear, winched a not-completely-rolling car onto the trailer, brought rope for the tarp, etc. etc. It's heartening to see the community come together to help a friend, sucks that it takes this kind of incident to realize the strength of that community sometimes..

-noam

7racing
07-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Victor, thanks for posting an update. Very glad to hear you are reasonably OK. News was rather sporadic and sketchy on Sunday so I think a lot of people were anxious to hear something positive (I know I was). Please call if you need anything and get well soon!

You are now my poster child for a head and neck restraint system. I use an ISAAC, but I have gone out a few times in other cars without it. I think it's easy enough to swap from car to car and will most likely do that now (though enduros make it tough, with other drivers and such).

I can remember back to the first years of NHIS and flagging for a driver's school at station 7. A FV went off the exit of 6 and went airborne into the trees. He came to rest in between a boulder and a tree without a scratch. Pretty lucky SOB (Fos, if you are reading, you are a lucky SOB). But, back then, there wasn't any sort of barrier before the trees.

Last year I went off in a rental Miata and did everything I could to stop. I didn't get as far out as Victor or the FV, but I also don't remember a jersey barrier wall before the trees. Was there really such a thing?

Jeremy

lateapex911
07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Wow. Thanks for checking in Victor. Glad to hear that your injuries aren't worse, but sorry that they are as bad as they are. That brace is your best friend /worst enemy right now! Hang in there!

WIZARD Racing
07-11-2006, 02:16 PM
but I also don't remember a jersey barrier wall before the trees. Was there really such a thing?

Jeremy
[/b]

I could swear there was one. Then again, my brain is a bit mushy from getting to work at 3am. Well maybe there should be one. A head on shot at a tree is not a good option. I'd rather a side slap on a wall.

Victor, great to hear from you. Get well fast.

BobsAuto
07-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Victor, So glad to have seen your post and know you are home. I stuck close to the phone in case your wife called to say you were staying. I am glad I was able to stop in and see you and was really reassured as to how well you looked considering what a horrific crash you had. Remember, call if you need anything and feel free to call for a place to sleep if you want to come up for the next race weekend to watch. You have our number.
As for you, Raymond and Stephen, I definately think a Hahns should be added to your Christmas list unless I hit the lottery first. :D

FastM3
07-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Victor

GET WELL SOON. :023: Take the time and heal correctly.

The car doesn't look too bad...Most of it looks like it will just buff out.

That and a few hundred hours with some hammers and it should be good as new...... :P

Track safety: Maybe we can organize a group walk during a lunch break or after race completion some weekend ????? Then let the observers list their concerns in prority order and have that reviewed by SCCA board/safety stewards. Personally I would like us to use the South Chicane more often, but it also needs some modification to make a safer exit onto the 2 / 3 straight.

Anyway....great to hear you are doing better. If you can give us any tips about belts and Hans setup that would be great. I wonder about the belts being able to slip off the Hans. Any thoughts????

Take Care of Yourself !!!!

Phil and Linda K
SSM ITA 88 Miata

lateapex911
07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Track safety: Maybe we can organize a group walk during a lunch break or after race completion some weekend ????? Then let the observers list their concerns in prority order and have that reviewed by SCCA board/safety stewards.
[/b]

First, reports have been very sketchy and conflicting, but there were reports that there WAS a barrier in front of the tree. Secondly, it' is my understanding that tracks ARE inspected before sanction numbers are granted. I'm not sure of the details of the process, but I recall that there IS a process in place. Dick P or Brian M probably have more details.

Personally I would like us to use the South Chicane more often...........
[/b]

Yechhh! barf!! phooey!!!!! Banish the thought!!!!! I think the south chicane .....ummm...well....it sucks! It removes at least two passing opportunities, and removes a skill set from the required package a driver needs at NHIS, plus it sterilizes the charachter of the place. The NASCAR turns 1&2 are the signature parts of the track. The south chicane doubles the Mickey mouse aspects of the track. It's bad enough as it is!

... If you can give us any tips about belts and Hans setup that would be great. I wonder about the belts being able to slip off the Hans. Any thoughts????

Phil and Linda K
SSM ITA 88 Miata
[/b]

www.headrestraint.org (http://www.headrestraint.org) is a non commercial site (started by a frequent contributor to this board) devoted to providing data to help choose a H&N restraint system. www.isaacdirect.com (http://www.isaacdirect.com) is the Isaac devices site that has a lot of data and crash test videos as well. And there are others as well.

biovic
07-11-2006, 08:34 PM

... If you can give us any tips about belts and Hans setup that would be great. I wonder about the belts being able to slip off the Hans. Any thoughts????

Thanks for your thoughts on my recovery.
For tips, I use the HANS specific Schroth belts, with the 2 inch shoulder straps, which do not slip off the HANS collar since they are narrower. I did not have the new 2 inch lap belt approved this year, but I think that would have helped keep the whole belt system tighter to my pelvis. I really like the Schroth product, easy to use and excellent quality, but I know they are a little more expensive than others, but obviously now I know they are worth it, along with other safety equipment we use. Of course, I also know that I have to throw the belts out now since being involved in the accident. Oh well, now I won't have to buy any new tires for the season, so it's a wash. ;-)

Victor

RKramden
07-11-2006, 10:53 PM
First, reports have been very sketchy and conflicting, but there were reports that there WAS a barrier in front of the tree. Secondly, it' is my understanding that tracks ARE inspected before sanction numbers are granted. I'm not sure of the details of the process, but I recall that there IS a process in place. Dick P or Brian M probably have more details.
[/b]
Lets make this not sketchy at all.

Alice, you remember Alice, was the first one to get to the accident. She said that the barrier was knocked over and burried under a pile of tires, hence the worker at that flag station (7) could not tell that it had been flipped over.

With respect to inspections, as I understand it, it works like this:

Tracks recieve a periodic inspection by the likes of Alan Wilson, something like every 5 years. As part of that inspection there is a plan to upgrade safety over that period if it is needed, and if the track does not make progress against that plan, then they get removed from the list of approved tracks. The executive steward for the division (Jack H., currently) has a folder on each track and in there is it's safety plan.

So, for example, Blackhawk didn't meet the plan a number years back (they allegedly did nothing) and got all the sanctions for that track pulled untill they actually started to do something about safety.

Another example is the chicane at Lime Rock. It's not a configuration that is inspected for SCCA, and so we cannot run it, as it is not approved.

There are other parts of the system that can get some sanctions that have been issued canceled, but they are fairly drastic.

For each race, the safety steward is supposed to make a track inspection and assure that things like huge potholes get filled or missing barriers replaced before the event starts. (GCR 6.23.1.D) This includes things like checking that Armco that has been repaired has the overlaps facing in the right direction. They are also supposed to act if there are areas that develop problems during an avent.

If the safety steward is really bent out of shape over something that is hazardous, they can call one phone number and have the event canceled. (Basically, it tubes the insurance.) I have never known this to actually happen. The same is true for SOLO events as well.

As for items at NHIS, I already have a list things that would be good from a workers perspective, which is different that what a driver would be concerned with. An example is that the hole at turn 11 isn't on my list, but I'll bet Ray B. the IV would like to see it fixed. If you do make up a list, don't just say what is wrong, but include what you would like to see done to change each item.

FastM3
07-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Hey Victor

Thanks for the thoughts on the belts. Linda and I use the newer Hans with the lip to hold the belt, but we have 3 inch belts and that's my worry. I guess I will investigate the Schroth 2 inchers with Joe and the guys at HMS. That's exactly what I wanted to find out. Do you use a 5 point or a 6 point. Would a formula type of 6 point work in our cars. They work more like a climbers harness and hold the legs in place rather that just pulling the lap belt down to hold in in place.

Sorry to have caused issues on the other points. These are just one competitors thoughts. Not meant to cause a sh.. storm

Safety.... We should all take a look at the Isaacs video really closely and get it so you can see the exact impact point and repeat it a gazzillion times. I don't think the outcome would be very safe. It let's the neck rotate way forward and the head goes a long ways. Then look at a video of the Hans..I made my choice after watching these.

Tracks...Sorry but I am a show me kind of guy and I think we as a group of drivers should be aware of the dangers. Lets take that walk so we can see what we want to stay away from. Also I think our combined knowledge can help the stewards or track people or whoever make better decisions. I will bring my own shovel to fill the hole at 11. Any other volunteers, Truely up for this if the track gave us permission.
Really, I was amazed to see that hole. It really should have been checked, filled before our racing started.
Somebody have some stone dust to use??? It is in a REALLY DANGEROUS status right now. It can break a ball joint and maybe contribute to a roll over.

Heck the experts said the Boston tunnels are safe.

Limerock....At a recent SCDA event I spent some time looking at walls of rubber lined tires as well as the new uphill deal. It was not all that reassuring.

NHIS.......How many of us have hit the wall in the oval.. does not seem to show any skill to hold the pedal down. Just need big B..ls.

Totally agree that the chicane is not all that great. It has it's own safety issues. I would like to see the entrance back onto the straight be a much shallower angle. The only way to do that would be to change the right hand portion and somehow pave more of the grassy area to change this angle as the apex of two cannot be moved due to the tunnel.

Just my ideas

Again...Victor Take Care...We are all with you.

Phil K
88 SM/SSM/ITA

bluehonda66
07-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Victor its great to hear your back home and on the mend- sorry your car is trashed but thats easy to replace. I followed you for the whole race ( accept when you went off ) and as I told Anthony your car looked WICKED!!! loose- going thru 1&2, it looked like a 'world of outlaws' setup, you had your wheels
turned to the right enough so I could see it from my car,and the back was hanging way out. I have to suspect you had a suspension failure brewing at that point- and coming up thru the carosel/T6 (whatever)
the car seemed to go loose again and slid sideways past the rummble strip into the dirt where you obviously
couldn't turn it back down. I can't tell you what you felt in the car but when you feel up to it, look over the right rear corner, not that it matters now but for future reference. I'm glad your relatively OK, hope to see you back at the track ASAP.

Dom V
Honda Civic # 66 ITA

Tkczecheredflag
07-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Victor - Again, glad you are on the mend. Anything we can do to help, you know how to reach me. Looked like you were going to smokin' my doors on the start of the race - I thought it was going to be a long day.

It was very somber at your paddock as we were trying to sort out your stuff and get you packed up. Poor Noam was beside himself. One of my passes under yellow coming out of the bowl they were working on you on the roof - I thought they were putting in an airway - You gave us a bad scare. Heard they took you to track medical before the hospital and was sure I was wrong about the airway. Get well soon.

Tracks...Sorry but I am a show me kind of guy and I think we as a group of drivers should be aware of the dangers. Lets take that walk so we can see what we want to stay away from. Also I think our combined knowledge can help the stewards or track people or whoever make better decisions. I will bring my own shovel to fill the hole at 11. Any other volunteers, Truely up for this if the track gave us permission.
Really, I was amazed to see that hole. It really should have been checked, filled before our racing started.
Somebody have some stone dust to use??? It is in a REALLY DANGEROUS status right now. It can break a ball joint and maybe contribute to a roll over.

Phil K
88 SM/SSM/ITA
[/b]

In the ITC race Brian M said he went into the hole and bent his camber plate on his Bunny. Cost him the race. I agree this area needs to be fixed. We have seen a couple of cars end up on their roof at T-11. I do not think that is much to ask for.

JLawton
07-12-2006, 06:57 AM
In the ITC race Brian M said he went into the hole and bent his camber plate on his Bunny. Cost him the race. I agree this area needs to be fixed. We have seen a couple of cars end up on their roof at T-11. I do not think that is much to ask for.
[/b]

That hole has been there for years (but maybe to a lesser extent) I remember taking the ride in my ITS car, catching some air and ending up sideways in NASCAR 4. Seems like it would be a simple fix..........

I also remember sitting up in T&S during the April school and seeing the bottom of a Spec Miata that was launched. Pretty cool to watch, but glad I'm not the one who had to fix it!!

biovic
07-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Hey Victor

Thanks for the thoughts on the belts. Linda and I use the newer Hans with the lip to hold the belt, but we have 3 inch belts and that's my worry. I guess I will investigate the Schroth 2 inchers with Joe and the guys at HMS. That's exactly what I wanted to find out. Do you use a 5 point or a 6 point. Would a formula type of 6 point work in our cars. They work more like a climbers harness and hold the legs in place rather that just pulling the lap belt down to hold in in place.
Again...Victor Take Care...We are all with you.
Phil K
88 SM/SSM/ITA
[/b]

Phil, I had a 6 point set-up, 2 sub straps bolted to the floor below/under the seat. I had no abdomen or groin injuries whatsoever.

If you or anyone else would like to send provate messages to me, feel free to do so using the IT.com mail feature, or email me at [email protected].
If you feel that others may benefit from the discussion, please feel free to continue to post on this site and thread. I don't want to monopolize the NHIS weeekend thread, but I have even learned things such as barriers, other holes (been there at 11/12 also, and that Needs to b fixed for sure).
Victor

RSTPerformance
07-12-2006, 09:43 AM
I went off into the turn 11 hole on both saturday (major driver error, mybad) and again on Sunday (partial suspension failure). The hit on Saturday launched the car 3.5 feet into the air and when the car landed it bottomed out and ripped fuel lines off the car spreading fuel all over the track... not safe for me or others and easily could have been avoidable with proper repairs to the track. On Sunday the car launched yet again this time landing on the nose... bent lots of suspension parts and pushed the oil pan almoast into the crank shaft... motor and suspension (including camber plates) are junk. I was out not only for that race but also the next 2 race NER weekends as my budget can't afford major repairs like that (not the tracks issue I know, but fustratig).

I totaly agree that both incidents were my fault, however thier is a major safety concern IMO. That turn is probably the most dangerouse in the Northeast and thier are no walls to hit!!! I went to the chief steward and addressed my concerns, he imediatly brought me to someone who works with the track managment to discuss. We shall see if it is fixed at RAL. If it isn't I will again adress my concerns and I stronly suggest that anyone in the 6 hour enduro addresses them also and/or completely avoids making a mistake in that turn, IT WILL COST YOU THE RACE, no questions asked.

Raymond

PS: Victor, glad to see your doing well and posting a lot more again!!!

Ed Funk
07-12-2006, 05:09 PM
(oopps! This is from StephF....I didn't realize the hubby was logged in....good thing I wasn't giving someone crap! B) )
Let's all pack 5 gallon pails for the next race. We can do a bucket brigade and fill that frapping canyon up! :rolleyes:
It'll likely be quicker that waiting on NHIS.
I skated along the edge in April going, "Oh #$%^!" multiple times. I'm surprised no one has ended up upside down from it yet.
Hey Victor....glad you are around to tell war stories from this weekend. Sorry that happened, and hope to see you back soon! :023:

WIZARD Racing
07-12-2006, 07:14 PM
That hole has been there for years (but maybe to a lesser extent) I remember taking the ride in my ITS car, catching some air and ending up sideways in NASCAR 4. Seems like it would be a simple fix..........

I also remember sitting up in T&S during the April school and seeing the bottom of a Spec Miata that was launched. Pretty cool to watch, but glad I'm not the one who had to fix it!!
[/b]

The guy using my car at that school had to avoid the ITC Rabbit and ran the grassy root. He missed the NHIS grand canyon fortunately.

I went 'off-roading' at T11. My choice was to hit the crater, I mean hole, or give it more right turn. I opted to go more to the right. At which time I relocated about a 3' x 4' section of sod about 20 feet with my new air dam. I'm sure T&S had a good time watching me. I know I had some air time.

The hole at T-11, and the area outside of the bowl exit are both really rough. The fact that the tree is open to a straight shot, like Victor took, coming out of the bowl doesn't seem 'safe' to me.

biovic
07-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi all. So I went to the orthopeadic doctor today, and the spine is stable, no surgery needed, just rest to let the bones heal in the normal 6 weeks time. I get an MRI in a few weeks to make sure the discs and joints are still fine. Be back to work part time in a week or so.

So I reviewed my video, and it didn't tell me anything that I didn't already remember (by the way, the video shut off on impact, which I'm glad, I didn't really want to see it).
I didn't have problems in Turn 6/7 all weekend. As Dom mentioned, I was sliding through the oval more than normal onthat lap, the back end seemed loose. As I came through the bowl (6), I was following Brandon, and think I took turned in too late. The car was sliding fairly wide, I couldn't keep the tires on the track and dropped the right 2 in the gravel, and as you all know, they are large ruts just off the track. (Still don't know yet if something broke because the car is still in NH). The car continued to go off the racing surface and now with all 4 wheels in gravel and grass I tried to 'steer' back on course, but a second later all I saw was that damn tree getting closer. I hit hard, probably 60-65mph, and the car just stopped! No bouncing or deflecting to the side or back, just stopped flat. I could feel my lower back/torso go forward on impact (nothing else), and then the pain, heavy pressure feeling.
I tried to radio my crew, but my earpiece got disconnected, although they could hear me.
Obviously the 2 corner workers directly across couldn't understand my thumbs-down signal, that I was not ok. It seemed like a long time before the workers got to me, but they were great. They opted to cut the roof off the car to get me out flat and straight, I'm glad they did, because I could have had more back damage if they moved me or I tried to get out myself.
Kudos to the workers (although I hear some improvements in driver/wokrer communication are in order). Also, I agree with the condition of the surface just off track in 7 and in 11/12. And please cut down that damn tree, or put up Armco, please.

Regards,
Victor

Doc Bro
07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
I agree with you Victor, The tree should go or be better protected. I'm glad you are well....it's been a rough year for you my friend.

I don't think the tree should go until you carve "Victor was here" into the trunk.

That'll teach it!

R

RSTPerformance
07-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't think the tree should go until you carve "Victor was here" into the trunk.
[/b]

lol... that is great!!!

Victor glad your going to be ok!!!

Raymond

TimM ITB
07-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Kind of "off topic" from most of the previous posts, and this concerns the Memorial Day weekend - not the Pig Roast weekend, so really off topic actually, but I just found the NERRC points listed on the www.ner.org site, and was curious..........wasn't the Memorial Day weekend listed as a "triple NERRC and double NARRC" race weekend? The NERRC points only show 2 races for that weekend?? Not a big deal, but if anyone can shed some light, that would be great.

Thanks,

Tim M

BobsAuto
07-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Victor, I am so glad the prognosis on your back is so good. I have been talking with some workers who are working the NASCAR event this weekend (not as volunteers, but have jobs) and we all agree that something needs to be done with the sides of the road course. We also agree that the only one that can and possibly would see to it that something is done is Bette French as she's the only real SCCA friendly one left on the management team. Victor, I would suggest that you her, tell her about your injuries, the prognosis, etc. and ask her what could be done to prevent such an accident from happening again. She is definately an empathetic ear to injured SCCA members. THEN, I would have workers, drivers, etc. make a list of easy, low cost ideas (must appeal to the Bahre's pocketbook) for fixing some of the problems. The south chicane is a costly move, but filling in the holes is not so costly. And even volunteer to do the labor as Steph mentioned. I think it actually could get achieved by the next event. (Don't know about the armco, but maybe better tire walls and barriers might work for a while.)
Hopefully, I will get up to the area in turn 6-7 this weekend with my handicap shuttle and take a peak and see what else I can come up with.

RKramden
07-14-2006, 09:47 AM
THEN, I would have workers, drivers, etc. make a list of easy, low cost ideas (must appeal to the Bahre's pocketbook) for fixing some of the problems. The south chicane is a costly move, but filling in the holes is not so costly. And even volunteer to do the labor as Steph mentioned. I think it actually could get achieved by the next event.[/b]

I'll bring a wheelbarrow, a cement tub, one or two 5 gallon buckets to haul the water, and other "implements of destruction." (2x4's, hoe, rakes, shovels, trowels, picks, hammers, nails, saws, stakes...)

Just say the word.

Some stone, some sand, and some portland cement, (and maybe some re-enforcing wire or re-bar) and we are good to go, provided Bette says OK.

Also, I have found that Wanda, Bette's assistant, is very pro club racing as well and a delight to deal with.

StephF
07-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Just say the word.

Some stone, some sand, and some portland cement, (and maybe some re-enforcing wire or re-bar) and we are good to go, provided Bette says OK.

[/b]

Are you talking about fixing a hole, or making someone a new set of shoes?
B)

RKramden
07-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Are you talking about fixing a hole, or making someone a new set of shoes?
B)
[/b]

I don't think filling the hole with dirt will cure it. Filling it with dirt would be a temp patch and just get beat out of there again.

Maybe a set of very agressive alligator teeth that you wouldn't want to race over but might not bend up a rabbits suspension is more like what is needed.

More than the teeth at turn three, less than the ramp at turn 10.

And maybe a new set of shoes for a steward. :023:

Ed Funk
07-14-2006, 02:30 PM
:o Concrete shoes??!! :happy204: Which steward?? B)

RKramden
07-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi all. So I went to the orthopeadic doctor today, and the spine is stable, no surgery needed, just rest to let the bones heal in the normal 6 weeks time. I get an MRI in a few weeks to make sure the discs and joints are still fine.[/b]
Great news. Glad things are looking good going forward. Maybe next year, I'll bring another NARRC trophy to your house. :D

I hit hard, probably 60-65mph, and the car just stopped! No bouncing or deflecting to the side or back, just stopped flat. I could feel my lower back/torso go forward on impact (nothing else), and then the pain, heavy pressure feeling.
I tried to radio my crew, but my earpiece got disconnected, although they could hear me.
Obviously the 2 corner workers directly across couldn't understand my thumbs-down signal, that I was not ok.[/b]
I looked at some pictures I have of the area that I took two months ago and there was one row of tires in front of the jersey barrier in front of the tree. Maybe there should be two rows, bolted together.

The workers took your had signal as waving at them, saying you were OK. It's hard to tell what you were signialing from the other side of the track, maybe 60 or more feet away. If you really want to get their attention, do NOTHING. Sit there and DON'T MOVE a bit. The worker will say that you are not moving, and massive panic will set in, and everything will get sent to visit you. Everything. Quickly.

It seemed like a long time before the workers got to me, but they were great.[/b]
The workers at the flag station couldn't cross the track as cars were flying past. The worker (Alice) ran from the previous station around the outside of the bowl to reach you. That is why it took the minute or two for her to get to you. It is farther than I would ever want to run. About the time she got there, the Fire/Rescue truck was there as well.

They opted to cut the roof off the car to get me out flat and straight, I'm glad they did, because I could have had more back damage if they moved me or I tried to get out myself. Kudos to the workers (although I hear some improvements in driver/wokrer communication are in order). Also, I agree with the condition of the surface just off track in 7 and in 11/12. And please cut down that damn tree, or put up Armco, please.[/b]
Dropping the window net, or waving, or making a hand jesture is taken as saying you are OK. If you want to say you are hurt, just do nothing. That is what they teach at drivers school, as I understand it. (I havent gone to a DS in a long time.) Signal if you are OK, do nothing if you are not.

:dead_horse: Can I say this one more time so EVERYONE gets the message? If you are hurt, do NOTHING. That will cause a whole bunch of panic and get you the most help the fastest, unless you are an ex-flagger, and can signal that: you are injured,
you want an ambulance, and
you want it now.
Yes, that are three distinct hand signals, and if you are injured, you are not likely able to do them, so just sit there doing NOTHING. :dead_horse:

Well, in any case, I'm glad you are going to be OK.

BobsAuto
07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Now all of you have to decide who is going to talk to Bette. It should be a small group, imo of stewards, workers, and drivers. Actually, Kathy Barnes would be the most powerful voice and one that Bette would definately listen to.

biovic
07-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Response to RKramden.

Yes, DO NOTHING is the best option, and I agree, to a point, in most cases. My first thought was, oh shit, I'm hurt, kind of panicking, I need someone to know I'm hurt, I see people so I'll try to signal to them that I'm NOT ok. (didn't work, I know that). I did think about not moving at all, and that would get people's attention, but I had to move around a bit because I was in pain (had to kind of arch my back and move a little or I would go stir crazy, yes even for 2 minutes). Second, my wife and Dad (crew chief) were at the track, and if I didn't move, and they found out (heard) that I was not moving, that would have been maybe more painful to them. Third, I did have a radio system and I was able to PTT and tell them I was hurt, although this was more of a reaction by me, because I still scared the hell out them because I was screaming this phrase. :/
And to boot, my earphone got disconnected, so I couldn't hear them, but I was talking, and didn't realize they could hear me, but they could (good thing, because my Dad was the first one to tell the ambulance crew near the pits I was injured.) I then realized I was unplugged and was able to plug in my earpiece just in time to hear both of them yelling (trying to find each other), and that's when the corner worker got to me, and I disconnected the system.
ok, fourth, my car was steaming/smoking, so that's another reason I took down the window net, in case I had to get out fast, although would have been very painful and maybe more injury.
Anyway, so in general I would agree that an injured driver should just sit there.

Although I would really like to know those hand signals that we could use to signal the flaggers? Care to share them or let me know where I can find reference to them.
Thanks.
Victor

Andy Bettencourt
07-16-2006, 12:36 PM
FWIW I do not believe what/how/when to 'signal' corner workers when involved in a crash was part of my drivers school curriculum. It should be.

AB

RKramden
07-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Although I would really like to know those hand signals that we could use to signal the flaggers? Care to share them or let me know where I can find reference to them.
[/b]

I put it up at

http://webpages.charter.net/super7/SCCA-FnC.pdf

File is only 3 Meg, and you really care about pages 45, 46, 47 (Appendix A)

There are other signals, like "Turkey with his head up his ...", "Flagger upside down in the tire wall", and "For those who don't deserve the very best..." but you probable don't need those.

FWIW I do not believe what/how/when to 'signal' corner workers when involved in a crash was part of my drivers school curriculum. It should be.
[/b]

Yes it should. You might have a chat with Alan D.

Or maybe it could get added as a topic at the next few (or all) drivers meetings as well.

Or both.

itracer
07-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks.
Victor
[/b]

From looking at all of the signals that RKramden referenced, my instinct would be to pat my head (or the roof of the car) with my hand to signal that I need assistance. Similar to what you might do to get a grid worker's attention.

Victor-- I totally understand the desire to put down the window net. If I thought I was ok I would have done the same thing. Once the net is down, you can still pound your hand on the top of the roof. I would choose this because it is really hard to make the two handed "A" signal for ambulance when you are in the car.

Wishing you a speedy recovery...

~Jason

16v
07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the link Dave :023: I have been trying to understand the workers signs for a few years now

RKramden
07-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the link Dave :023: I have been trying to understand the workers signs for a few years now
[/b]

Did you ever think to ask?

It's like the secret signs of the freemasons, but now, since you know them, you have to actually go out and flag once in a while, to keep current.... :happy204:

That was the real reason I told you what they were. :o

Ask Greg or Dick about the super secret Tech Inspector handshake.

Or the code words to use at registration.

16v
07-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Did you ever think to ask?

It's like the secret signs of the freemasons, but now, since you know them, you have to actually go out and flag once in a while, to keep current.... :happy204:

Ask Greg or Dick about the super secret Tech Inspector handshake.

[/b]

I asked someone at one of the ALMS events at LRP and they blew me off so, from that point forward I just tried to understand on my own B)

and no, I don't want to know any of the secret handshakes... I feel violated just thinking about it :035:

Marc
07-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Just a quick note referencing what Victor said about the "car just stopped".

A couple years ago I hit the tire wall on the inside of West Bend in a Miata - part of the ALMS weekend - flat on the drivers side. It seemed like just for that weekend (you could tell by the pattens in the grass), they had moved the tire barrier about 6 feet out from the wall. It felt like a big pillow when I hit it - I pushed a huge pile of tires all the way back to the wall, and must have disipated a ton of energy that way. I was fine, and the car had very little damage.

Seems to me that should be standad practice whenever there is room to do it, and the place where Victor hit seems like the perfect spot. May not be the perfect solution for all cases, but the cost is low (free), and the potential benefits high.

marc