PDA

View Full Version : Renault in IT

bobpearson90278
07-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey,

How competitive do you think a Renault Le Car is in ITC?

Bob

reeceracing
07-07-2006, 11:19 PM
With no Hondas and VW's,in ITC, yet. :dead_horse:

x1/9racer
07-08-2006, 04:30 PM
If no one else shows up, you still don't have a chance(and this is from an ITC Fiat driver!).

joeg
07-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Alliance--no LeCar.

Alliance holds ITC track record at Nelson.

Carl Holbrook is da man when it comes to the Renaults.

Cheers.

Knestis
07-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Been there, done that. And it was a pain in the ass 20 years ago, when the cars were that much less old.

The LeCar was slower than our 1.4 Alliance and that ITC record that's been mentioned is almost certainly the 1.7 OHC engine version, that had like 20 hp more than the 1.4 pushrod engine from the factory. (Remember that "20" in this case means about 30%.)

I cannot see any reasonably viable way to make a go of that kind of deal. If the car were already prepared and FREE, it would still be too expensive. Unless you already have a yard full of them, relatives in France, and can replace wet liner O-rings in your sleep. If you don't know what a "wet liner O-ring" is, you REALLY don't want to do it... :)

K

iambhooper
07-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Alliance--no LeCar.

Alliance holds ITC track record at Nelson.
[/b]

The LeCar was slower than our 1.4 Alliance and that ITC record that's been mentioned is almost certainly the 1.7 OHC engine version, that had like 20 hp more than the 1.4 pushrod engine from the factory. (Remember that "20" in this case means about 30%.)

K
[/b]

Work kept me from the Savanah school in 2004, so we took the x1/9 to Nelson Ledges that year. There was a guy there that had rented out 1 or 2 Alliance's. They were marginally cometetive on Saturday, I was all over them in the back/middle of the pack in the Fiat. Then come Sunday... they were leading the run group! It bugged the $#!% out of me until I pulled the book out on the ride home and discovered the displacement advantage these cars had over everything else. Then someone later reminded me of the Spec Renault series, and I put 2 and 2 together.

Yes, I think the 1.7L cars can be kick ass ITC rides... but why? If I was going to build a new IT car I wouldn't consider a 20+ yo chassis with limited parts availability. I would choose something that I could get parts for at the Auto Zone. It's also not a lot more expensive to build a ITB car or perhaps even an entry into ITA.

I speak from experience. Both my Fiat and yes my Honda had things about them that were a PITA when it came to parts availability. But then again, I'm sure there are a few Mustang parts that are hard to come by?

Knestis
07-27-2006, 09:50 AM
My new ITC car would be a '94 Honda Civic CX, I think. I've given up on the 124 Sport Coupe. :)

K

BMW RACER
07-27-2006, 03:28 PM
You guys are sooo negative!

You've got to look on the bright side.................................... let's see now............................ Ah ha......They only have three lug nuts! Just think of the time you could save if you had to change a tire! Plus making sure you torque the wheels in a cross pattern is never a problem!

My ITC car would be a '68 Cortina GT (Shows what I know) Of course I also used race Alliances (I'm a sick puppy)

Renaultfool
08-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Hey John, those were my Renaults at Nelson, and my record, by .002 over the old record by Mark Connolly in a Honda. Not a great margin really, but enough.
I remember you from the Renault Cup days. I was an East Coast Series guy so I ran LeCars for two years and the Encore for two, and a bunch of other Renault stuff after that.
Yes, I'll take the big engine any day! It doesn't make the horsepower of the Honda, but it has torque and when I can keep myself from trying to over rev it, torque can give me a better lap time. Another cool thing is that they are at minimum weight with my lardy ass in them without worrying about scraping off all the sound deadener.
Parts can be a challange, but they don't need many as they are very reliable. Wheel bearings take a beating the way I drive, but they are still available. Other than that, just tires and brakes once in a while.
Carl "The Renaultfool" Holbrook

joeg
08-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Carl--Did you repair the dents on that Maroon honey yet??

Renaultfool
08-06-2006, 09:42 AM
No, not yet. I have been busy at work and my body man just contacted me about doing the job. I am not used to having this kind of problem as this is the first major body damage I have had in over 10 years. Miatas, I hate running with them. Plus a rear quarter is too much for me to do in my garage. I will be back to Nelson in October for sure, maybe Mid-Ohio in September.
Carl