PDA

View Full Version : Bumpers? 84 GTI ITB

keycom
06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
First time caller!

New to the sport. Have an 84 GTI being prepared over the next few months (years) for ITB racing.

Can I use the "euro" bumpers or do I need to find a set of the "original" bumpers?

Can't find anything in the GCR about bumpers, so I'm assuming that I can't swap over to the plastic ones.

Bill Miller
06-28-2006, 05:09 PM
First time caller!

New to the sport. Have an 84 GTI being prepared over the next few months (years) for ITB racing.

Can I use the "euro" bumpers or do I need to find a set of the "original" bumpers?

Can't find anything in the GCR about bumpers, so I'm assuming that I can't swap over to the plastic ones.
[/b]

You are correct, you have to run stock.

zracre
06-28-2006, 05:16 PM
And the stock ones are just fine! I cut the front off a 914 in sebring a while back (1996 I think) and all it did was bend it up a smidge and knock the toe out. They are very strong. Weight can be saved elsewhere...id keep em...body armor!

67ITB
06-29-2006, 08:08 PM
If I recall the GTI has aluminum bumpers with a rubber cap on each end. Just be glad it’s not a Scirocco with 40lbs boat anchors at each end. I wish we could run the euro bumpers on the Scirocco. But you should be able to get that car close to minimum weight with some careful attention to detail. We have got very close with out car. (Disclaimer: I am FAT so that is working against us)

Matt Bal

keycom
06-29-2006, 11:19 PM
(Disclaimer: I am FAT so that is working against us)

I'm in that club too. Fat Rabbits member #17.

Thanks guys, even though the news isn't what I wanted to hear.

hd54kh
06-30-2006, 08:38 AM
I am new to this as well and the car I just recently bought is an 85 GTI with the Euro bumper installed. It was explained to me it is a replacement part updated due to unavailabiliity of original part and it is acceptable. Is this info accurate or will my 85 street car be sporting a new bumper and the ITB will get it's classic look back?

Terry
85 GTI ITB (waiting for me to get seat time)

JamesB
06-30-2006, 08:44 AM
the 85 is a mk2 chassis. And your right, trying to get the 85 bumper is impossible you usually end up ordering a big bumper. but you can just as easilly go to a junker and find a small bumper replacemet.

Bildon
06-30-2006, 10:59 AM
>> It was explained to me it is a replacement part updated due to unavailabiliity of original part and it is acceptable.

hah, That's a good one. :D

The bumper support on an '85 (we are talking Golf not Rabbit?) are found in bone yards everywhere. Jetta, Golf... get the steel support and then buy whatever plastic bumper cover floats your boat.

I used to whine at the guys that mixed and matched the aero "big" bumpers with the older black small bumper covers but since a Golf is a Golf is a Golf and you can do anything you want to the airdam up to the top of the bumper anyway... I gave up complaning... handing in my rules nerd card long ago... I only now am concerned with true performance enhancing mods.

JamesB
06-30-2006, 12:10 PM
That brings on a great question Bill. Is there any gain to a big bumber that you couldnt get using a small bumper like my car and a properly made dam/splitter with brake ducting?

Bildon
06-30-2006, 01:58 PM
>> Is there any gain to a big bumper...and a properly made dam/splitter with brake ducting?

Other than VW already building you a nice aero, aesthetic, cheap, ducted, spoiled, bumper cover... no :D
Wolfsburg just saves me time that's all.

http://www.bildon.com/pub/ITBGolf/body/images/splitter29.JPG

JamesB
06-30-2006, 02:33 PM
check. well at least I know what im going hunting for this weekend as well as a few rebuildable 8v motors.

keycom
06-30-2006, 03:56 PM
So that bumper/air dam is an IT legal item?

For Mk 1 or Mk 2, or maybe HP?

Eric Parham
06-30-2006, 11:25 PM
For IT, it's a legal update for 85-92 Golf/Jetta (Mk2) cars. I think they would need to keep some form of in-bumper lenses. The cover itself fits any Mk2 support, if I recall. I would guess it's not legal for Rabbit (Mk1), since I don't think we're allowed to add a bumper cover to an originally exposed beam (later Cabriolet excluded). Your question makes me wonder, though, whether "someone" could throw one at a Scirocco if it was modified just enough to mimic the original Scirocco plastic bumper cover (which is also unobtainable). It would have the added benefit of hiding a few battle scars on "someone's" car, too. :-)

67ITB
06-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Your question makes me wonder, though, whether "someone" could throw one at a Scirocco if it was modified just enough to mimic the original Scirocco plastic bumper cover (which is also unobtainable). It would have the added benefit of hiding a few battle scars on "someone's" car, too. :-)
[/quote]

Eric,
And here I thought you just liked the way those smashed bumpers looked on your car :D

I have "some" kicking around the garage. Let me know if you’re interested. I also have the trim or filler pieces that go between the bumper and the body work.

Matt

Eric Parham
07-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks Matt, that's a very kind offer! I'm actually running a straight front bumper this year (the white one), it's the unibody just under the bumper that would be nice to hide. Unfortunately, the bumper would only look striaght on the old yellow car if it really were twisted, thanks to finally reaching "tilt" on the frame machine last time.

I do have a potential replacement shell with almost everything needed, but won't put it on the track just yet considering previous experiences with the evil twin part of this year's grouping. Overall, they've actually improved a lot, though. A few minor quarter panel dings, and one of them yelling at me because he couldn't get close enough to hit me a second time (!), but at least no recent trips to the frame machine :happy204:

Will your car be back in form for next weekend? Looks like I'm running Lime Rock and the Glen this month, but have to babysit during Pig Roast. The wife didn't go for the baby seat in the race car idea... :rolleyes:

67ITB
07-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Eric,
Exactly what your saying about the crooked bumper looking straight on the bent car!!!!!!

We will be at NHIS, the car doesn’t look great, but it’s got a (another) :dead_horse: new engine, and all new suspension front and rear, a few new wheels and tires….. steering knuckles…Axles…. Thank god I have a ton of vacation days saved up, because this took me some time to fix. :bash_1_: But the biggest delay was the machine shop punching out the new block.

Matt